i got an oasis book today and all the solos seem to be at the top of the fretboard, is it best doing them there or down nearer the bottom ( the book only shows them at the top)
Depends on the sound you want. It's a bit harder higher on the fretboard for me, so I tend to stay simple up there.
I ussually stay in the middle because I like the sound more there, and it is much more comfortable for my hands
I prefer the lower frets when soloing to be honest, but sometimes I'll move to the top and repeat a line or do a big shiny bend during the 'climax' of a solo.

I prefer the lower frets because it's a big meaty soloing sound.
I'm not really bothered... Top half is eaiser for my hands, but the bottom half is good for some nice bends, etc.
Past the tenth fret, with the neck pickup, is my favorite soloing tone, but in first position I can get some good bluesy licks.
my god Cokeisbetter, your my new idol. thats my favourite tone too. and the fact that your avatar is the Zeppelin runes... i'm impressed
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Do you mean the top as in higher frets, or the top as in higher strings? If you mean strings then play the solo there, because if you play it on the lower strings it won't sound right. If you're talking frets then it just depends what you want, although phrasing wise I tend to shift fiddly B and top E licks onto the B and G strings and just play higher....I'm less likely to screw up on the B string
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Lol I tend to solo in the key of the song on the lower half of the neck, then move up to the same scale an octave higher on the neck, then go back down the neck to solo around the 9-12 fret region (because the 9th fret G string is my favourite place to do a pinch harmonic )

But really there is no best place to solo, it's all up to how you want to sound and how you play the guitar.
Quote by steven seagull
Do you mean the top as in higher frets, or the top as in higher strings? If you mean strings then play the solo there, because if you play it on the lower strings it won't sound right. If you're talking frets then it just depends what you want, although phrasing wise I tend to shift fiddly B and top E licks onto the B and G strings and just play higher....I'm less likely to screw up on the B string

wouldn't that put it out of key? and i dont think you understand the definition of phrasing, or maybe i don't :[
Phrasing is how you play a particular set of notes, and it refers to any nuances you use in your playing and also where you play the notes. These 2 licks are the same, but I find the second fingering easier...there's no chance of my finger slipping the top E off the fretboard, which can happen when you're as sloppy as me

E---8-----------                         E--------------------
B---8--b--(10)--                         B---13--------------
G----------------                        G---12--b--(14)---
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Do you mean the top as in higher frets, or the top as in higher strings? If you mean strings then play the solo there, because if you play it on the lower strings it won't sound right.

wow...your solos must be really bad
wow...your solos must be really bad

Hey...I wasn't the one who asked the badly-worded question in the first post! If you can tell me, definitively, what it means then I'll give you a cookie...and my solos are fine, thank you very much...and most likely better than yours
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i always thought phrasing had to do with accenting and grouping certain "sections" in your solo.

meh.

sort of like splitting your solo (story) into paragraphs (phrases) that contain sentences (chords) that are made up of notes (words).
^^ how good can it be when you only use three strings? theres six strings for a reason

the question says "at the top of the fretboard"...theres nothing about strings. even though i dont really know what he means still haha

and i wouldnt mind getting in a solo battle with you (a friendly solo battle, of course)...but i dont have any recording stuff.

but yeah, the question was pretty weird, haha. threadstarter hasnt even been back since he posted the first time, so it couldnt have been too important, right?

meh, its all good

edit: hey, can i still have that cookie?
Last edited by Jearl at Jan 10, 2007,
Easier on higher fretboard (higher frets) because the frets are less spaces apart and well, less stretching and movement.
how good can it be when you only use three strings? theres six strings for a reason

Ah! I didn't say I used three strings...I just told the threadstarter that if somethings tabbed on the top 3 he should play it there and not on the bottom It threw me because Oasis solos never get past the 12th fret, which isn't what I class as particularly high, so I thought he might be referring to strings as opposed to. I guess we'll never know....as far as soloing goes, it's Thursday so tonight is Freebird night for me in the Fox & Goose

I did have a cookie, but my cat ate it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc