hey all, im thinking of getting a hotplate, and i have a 5150/6505 amp. my question is, what impedance of hotplate will i need so as not to damage my amp. all it says is that it can plug into 8 or 16 ohms, im not very knowledgeable on amp electronics so any help is both necessary and appreciated, thanks.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
Is it a combo or head? If it's a combo you're in for a bit of modding. I'm just wondering why you're hotplating a 5150 most of all. Most of the gain comes from the pre-amp gain stages and it sounds pretty darned good even at low volumes, running the THD will just make it sound crap if you're trying to run it at bedroom levels IMO.
geez sorry, that shoul've been the first thing i listed it's the combo
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

i dont know, im gonna try it but want to know which impedance first before it blows up. and i shouldn't need any modding, the combo's speaker load hooks in via 1/4 inch jack at the bakc if you take of the back plate, i can see it and it jsut comes right out.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

it's probably minimum of 8ohm, so it can safely mismatch to 16ohm. It's more important to match correctly when using a hotplate however, since you will be pushing the amp harder than normal at the same volume levels. Determine what your speakers impedance rating is, then see how they are wired. If it's series wiring, then you add their impedance. If it's parallel wired, then it's half the impedance of one speaker(assuming they are the same impedance)

I dunno coby, poweramp overdrive almost always sounds better than preamp overdrive, even when it's got a lot of preamp gain like the 5150. Powertube saturation is still king. If you aren't trying to attenuate to TV volume, it won't necessarily sound like crap at low vol. I use a hotplate with my 100W head, and it works excellent if it's at the -8dB or less settings, without sucking a lot of tone. The tradeoff is easily worth it IMO.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 10, 2007,
I suppose there's a fine line when it comes to attenuating whether it's worth it or not and the situation of the person is different from myself et al. IMO cranking an amp just isn't the same without that ball shaking thump
Last edited by codybcool at Jan 10, 2007,
haha, very true, it's just not the same if your pant legs aren't flapping with the beat. You don't necessarily have to lose that though, with just smaller attenuation, you can still have the thump and air pressure moving, but the amp is just adding powertube OD a lot sooner.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well im looking for like an arch enemy/nevermore/opeth style of heavy and im just not finding it with this amp, it's more of a crunch style of amp and i was hoping that i could get almost studio qualtiy sound from this thing. it might also be that i have the stock tubes in it. electrik, dont you own a 5150, i was thinking jj high gain retube set, what do you guys think? o and it also pops alot too. i got an isp to take care of the hum in the loop, but it's still popping every once in a while, it gets really annoying. what to do?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

You don't really need high gain valves in an already very high gain amp. Doesn't Eurotubes or somewhere like that do a complete 5150 retube set?

I'd guess the popping is the valves, i'm not sure at all though. And the 5150 is used by loads of bands in the studio, including Opeth, you have to realise that amps sound very very different on record as opposed to live because of the way they're mic'd and the cab, etc not to mention the way your ear perceives sounds in different environments.

Also, the 5150 is double tracked and layered with other amps an awful lot, so what you're hearing is two or more amps blended together with a shit load of mixing and EQ'ing and stuff going on. I love the 5150 for what it is which in a modern metal sort of context is really a rhythm players amp IMO, that's not to say it doesn't do a good lead sound.

Also, what you mean by studio quality sound is a bit confusing, you'll have to expand on that.
yeah, I think tubes should help a lot, especially if they are stock and getting long in the tooth. You should be getting over a "crunch" even at low volumes. I noticed with my Mark IV, new high gain JJ preamp tubes made a big difference in the amount of preamp gain. Doug's may have some other options specific to your amp, I know Electrik had recommended him. Another option is running an OD over the drive channel to add a little bite. Put an OD in front, with the level up, gain way down, more like a boost. It can tighten up the sound and add a little hair.
amp clips
amp vids
Just a fair warning,

I've never had good experiences attenuating 5150s. It pretty much sounded like Mud City (similar to a recto, with less bass, actually) when I tried it.

Quite a tone sucker they are, those bastard attenuators.

There isn't much of a point using em on an amp that already sounds pretty good at low volumes IMO.

If you aren't getting crunch-

Make sure you're plugged into the high input.

Make sure you're either using the Rhythm channel with "Crunch" button depressed or the LEAD channel.

Gain should be around 1/2 (12:00, 5, whatever)

Make sure the presence is up at least half way. I prefer to keep the resonance control up at least half as well.

If you're still having problems at that point its either the tubes or the guitar...
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jan 10, 2007,
a better comparison would be live quality. i saw arch enemy and opeth on the gigantour this summer, and loved their live tone. i want tone like that but cant seem to get it from the amp, despite it's "Ultimate Metal Amp" persona. i have used the wylde overdrive the way you said, and it just added noise. well gpderek said he got a set of high gain jj tubes which are from eurotubes btw, that's what eurotubes sells; jj tubes, and he says that he never looked back. and yes it is a complete retube set for the 5150. and as a last resort, a good distortion pedal, although i want to shy away from that.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

and it's not the guitar, the hellraiser does just fine lol. so my guess is the tubes. and a loval store sells these attenuators, i still want to try it out, but i just didn't want to blow up my amp upon hitting the first chord lol. when i played the XXX it had more of a bite as opposed to the 5150.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

Quote by g-cash14
a better comparison would be live quality. i saw arch enemy and opeth on the gigantour this summer, and loved their live tone. i want tone like that but cant seem to get it from the amp, despite it's "Ultimate Metal Amp" persona. i have used the wylde overdrive the way you said, and it just added noise. well gpderek said he got a set of high gain jj tubes which are from eurotubes btw, that's what eurotubes sells; jj tubes, and he says that he never looked back. and yes it is a complete retube set for the 5150. and as a last resort, a good distortion pedal, although i want to shy away from that.

Live tone is just like studio tone. They EQ it and run effects.

I know that a Sonic Maximizer will bring you closer to Loomis/Amott's live territory. At the moment, both of them use Krank when states-side (I've seen loomis use all sorts of amps overseas) so that would probably be your best bet.

If you're looking for the studio tones it will do most of Opeth/Arch Enemy/Nevermore's earlier work.

I personally wouldn't boost the mids if you're looking for either of their tones. Scooped mids (of some degree) and presence for the leads, extra resonance/depth for the rhythm parts.

Also, speakers or a cab will help give you a bit more bite as I've noticed that stock scheffield speakers are rather dull/round.
Its a cab problem. The combos with the single sheffield makes it sound bad.
the sonic maximizer from BBE correct? yes i've seen those and oftne wondered about them. i haven't tried enough speakers to know good from bad, what might some suggest, i've seen celestion vintage 30's used alot, but that's more for like heavy rock as opposed to metal, what metal speakers might be good, i'd replace the speakers instead of getting a cab, as that would not only be more expensive, but also way more volume than i would need. and no my mids definately aren't boosted, i hate boosted mids, my mid control is around 2 or 3 at the most. and yes presence is up, to about 8 or so, after that it sounds too much like SS IMO.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

bump
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

To me a sonic maximizer can make a bad amp sound better, but makes a good amp sound bad.
how the hell does that work lol? then would it make my amp better or worse?
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul