Poll: Would you sell out?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you sell out?
I think money is the most important thing in any career.
24 35%
No ways man, it's all about the music!!!
45 65%
Voters: 69.
If there was a situation where you could do something for the money or for personal success which would you do, like if it meant playing some pop or something stupid for good money but losing the respect of your fellow musicians which would you choose?
I'm almost positive no. I might change my sound if I felt like it though. I guess if I put out alot of metal albums then a funk album that would be selling out?
like Mcfly, Busted or FOB sellout? probably not but id sell out if I was happy with what I was doing.
I'd like to think I wouldn't.

But it must be very hard to say no to an extremely well-off life.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
If I didn't get anywhere and HAD to maybe. If I was fine anyway I wouldn't
It's impossible to say before you've been there so don' take the answers to seriously.
why isn't there some kind of in-betweener? i might do a franz-ferdinand, but i wouldn't do a razorlight. i.e. i might change the image a bit, but i wouldn't **** it all up for commerialism's sake.

...but i do like money
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by kaptink
like Mcfly, Busted or FOB sellout? probably not but id sell out if I was happy with what I was doing.

Don't know the other bands but how are FOB sellouts?
Pop isnt stupid.....and It wouldnt be a question of money or reputation, I'd do what I felt best doing. But I guess I would side with the music, and not the money if I had to choose.
well we all new charlie was only in busted for the money
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
It's pretty much impossible for me to sell out, since the kind of music I love and write is generally what is considered to be "sell out music" anyway.

Edit: Are you fucking serious?

You really think that people make pop music is purely because people want money?

Get a clue dude, seriously.

Told you everyone considers my music to be sellout music...
Last edited by olif8 at Jan 10, 2007,
I would, but only if the money was essential, like it could save someone in my family froma posiblly life threatening illness or something.
Your poll didnt give enuff options...
I'd like to say no, but I most certainly know I would. But there would indeed have to be certain conditions. I'd have to have put out an album or two I can sit down and listen to. I'd have to be satisfied with what I had already accomplished and be prepared to reduce myself to that level with my head held high. 'Course, I'd also do some rap or hip hop album to kick start my career if it meant I had the spotlight to play what I really wanted to play. But I don't think I'd go down as some talentless hip hopper or rapper for the money.
in a new york minute
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
well if changing your sound is selling out then i would

but if i did something i didnt believe in just for money no. music is supposed to be your art

music should be something honest not fake
If I could play the music I love, and it happens to become mainstream without changing sound...yes.

Would I pull a Metallica? No.
Changing your style of music doesn't constitute "selling out". The pop scene is just what's popular at the time so the style of music you play could well just be around the corner.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by n00bje
I plan to put my music for free on the internet.

Here I was thinking I was the only one. I want people who can't afford to pay to be able to listen to my music if they want to, completely free. And then give the people who enjoy supporting their bands to support mine if they like, by means of albums, t-shirts, and other things.

That's if I ever make it out of the small town.
I'd sell out, then un-sell out once I was rich. Although I would have to sound like 50 Cent or the Spice Girls to have 'sold out, ' as I like lots of different music.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Nah...I wouldn't be happy with what I was doing if I was only doing it to please someone else.

If my style of music changed it'd be because I wanted it to change to explore new avenues, not because it's the popular thing to do.
i might pull a Coheed and Cambria; write like 2 shitty "Favor House Atlantic"/"The Suffering" songs then make everything else awesome, just so I could pull in a few that might not be familiar with good music. plus, that might be a jumpstart, and hell that would only be like 3 and a half minutes of selling out on a 70min record.
my band is here ------> myspace.com/weareattica
^Wrong.

Fuck sell-outs.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I made a thread about this a while ago. What I said was that I'd sell out by compromising my music, but not my morals. If I could make popular music that's not neccessarily good and get rich off it without doing anything wrong morally, I don't think that's so bad.
I could see myself in a full-time cover band, but no, I wouldn't change my own music. But like olif8, most of the music I (attempt) to write tends to be poppy "sell-out" music anyway.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Those options suck.

I wouldn't sell out, but I would allow myself to get as big as possible. I wouldn't change my style, though.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by olif8
It's pretty much impossible for me to sell out, since the kind of music I love and write is generally what is considered to be "sell out music" anyway.

Edit: Are you fucking serious?

You really think that people make pop music is purely because people want money?

Get a clue dude, seriously.

Told you everyone considers my music to be sellout music...

of course they ****ing do!
Quote by Dr Grinwraith

Ah, silly me, I forgot that metal was the end-all-be-all of music.

Quote by Wayward_Son
I could see myself in a full-time cover band, but no, I wouldn't change my own music. But like olif8, most of the music I (attempt) to write tends to be poppy "sell-out" music anyway.

Hang about, I didn't say I'm ashamed of it or anything, I actually really love it!
I play music because I love doing it. Aslong you are proud over what you are doing, you can do anything. Make some good music people like, and you´ll get money for it. Do some weird music most people dont like, and call the the other bands with larger fanbase sellouts. Do what you want, aslong as you love doing it.
Hakuna Matata
Quote by Dr Grinwraith

You're an asshat.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

i thought "selling out" was when you get payed alot to advertise products that suck

wtf does this have to do with music?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~