Hi, I was wondering what I should best buy to improve my solotone, at the moment I have a mesa boogie mark IV, a gibson les pul and a Ibanez TS-808.
I was wondering what would make my sound more whole and was thinking at a delayor a chorus or a harmonizer or an octave or even a wahwah pedal, what would you guys take if it was your rig?
PS I mostly play (trash)metal en british heeavy metal.
Thx Wouter
^Those are all good. Though if you want to tweek the sound without being as obvious about it use get a compressor unit or two and an EQ.
Delay for sure. But also play around with the EQ on your amp. It ususaly takes a while to find the 'right' EQ settings on a Mesa, so maybe you just havent messed around with it enough to find 'your' setting
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Wah and an EQ would probably help your sound the most. Though, if you like your tone now, but don't like the tone for solos, get an EQ, so you can still have the sound you like for regular playing, and then for solos kick on the EQ, and get the solo sound you like without compromising either.

Just a thought.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
it depends on the type of distortion your getting. what i look for is a smooth tone with a it of crunch in the midrange and relativley high treble and bass for smoothness (randy rhoads, dimebag, etc.) not a standard shred type sound though (aka very very trebely). you may want to tweak your amp settings or buy (may sound strange) a distortion pedal. If your looking for the same type of smooth sound that i like, then clean boosting with a distortion pedal may be the way to go. you should get one that doesn't affect your tone too much ex: distortion+ from MXR and clean boost. (clean boosting means setting your pedal as follows distortion min. output high/max. this will boost the sound not so much distort it, adding more midrange and treble for smoothness. you can also dial in a bit of distortion if you want) you may also consider an EQ to boost treble and midrange for solos. If that won't do it you could combine the distortion pedal and the EQ. if your distortion is fine then a delay would work wonders for you it would add a lot of depth and "epicness" to solos. A wah is good too but if your distoriton is the problem, it won't solve it. I need more info to be more useful.
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
He doesn't really need an EQ pedal. The Mark IV has a 5-band EQ on it, as long as he takes some time to really EQ the amp he should be able to get some great tones out of it. He could get an EQ if he wanted, for further control over his tone.

As for other pedals, maybe chorus or delay for cleans.
Quote by Guitarmiester
He doesn't really need an EQ pedal. The Mark IV has a 5-band EQ on it, as long as he takes some time to really EQ the amp he should be able to get some great tones out of it. He could get an EQ if he wanted, for further control over his tone.

As for other pedals, maybe chorus or delay for cleans.

yeah that wouldn't really be nessasary with a 5 band EQ. How many channels does his amp have?
Quote by rooster456

I'm pretty sure the Mark IV is a 3 channel amp - Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, and Lead with the assignable 5-band EQ.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I'm pretty sure the Mark IV is a 3 channel amp - Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, and Lead with the assignable 5-band EQ.

yeah then thread starter won't need a EQ. distortion pedal: unlikley but may be nessasary. I think you need to tweak your amp
Quote by rooster456

The Mark IV is a great amp, so he really doesn't need a distortion pedal. He's already got the TS808 for a boost. He should be able to get a great tone with the amp itself, especially with the assignable 5-band EQ.

I'm not too sure how a delay, chorus, harmonizer, octaver, or wah would really give you a 'more whole sound'. I know if I got the Mark IV combo in August like I should have (thanks to needing to put the money towards a new car) I wouldn't be worrying about pedals. I'd probably stick my Dunlop 535Q and DOD YJM308 OD in front of it though. Still, they don't really make your sound more whole. Just preferences...