u feel ur wrist grinding in chalky hard jello like shit and it hurts like nothing u've felt...
My Stuff.
Digitech's Death Metal Distortion Pedal
Digitech's RP50 Pedal
Line 6's Guitar Port
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Fender Amp
There will be persistent pain that radiates from your wrist out to your hand and sometimes, back towards your elbow. The pain is greater when you engage in activities that are repetitive, like fretting, drumming or typing on a computer. The pain can go from a dull ache to a sharp, persistent pain.

The only way to know you have it for certain is to see a doctor and be diagnosed. The treatments can differ depending on the severity and your own personal medical preferences, but steroids, wrist guards, rest and even acupuncture have all been effective treatments for the condition.

If you think you have it, its important you lay off playing bass and see a doctor to get treated. To continue playing could cause damage and surgery that could limit or in severe cases end your bass playing for good.
suggestion: dont play more then 2 hours and burst into fast picking in one sitting like i do. lol But i cant help it I love my strat man
thanks guys!

i dont feel any pains like you are saying, just sore

i got worried cause my fingers went a little numb

so im going to see a doctor anyway
^both signs are worth worth checking out with the doctor. Tingling and numbness can be signs in the early stages of carpal tunnel, or you could be looking at merely a pinched nerve.

Good luck with the doctor.
The finger numb-ness could also be due to having developed 'under skin' callouses. Which basically happens from playing very hard. You end up injuring the tissue under your top layer, so while the skin feels alright you do indeed have callouses.

It is not fun getting one of though under a already established callous. That is so painful.
and if you do find out that you have carpal tunnel......HELLO VICODINE!!!
.......holy balls...........
ive been getting pains in my playing arm, they start out in the forearm under elbow and extend to the hand and fingers and up to wear my arm and shoulder attatch, its starts at shooting pains then throbs for quite a while, its been happening really since ive started playing alot more slap bass, think this could be carpal tunnel? if so, how bad? think i should go to the doctor? i also do alot of writing and typing which i dont think helps
Last edited by bass-jack at Jan 11, 2007,
Happened to me 2 weeks ago. Only my wrist was hurting though not my fingers or arm. Took 2 days to heal. I don't think it was carpal tunnel though since it started hurting when I woke up and I think I had slept on my hand all night because it took like 2 minutes before I could even move a finger.
I was advised i have the "onset" of Carpal Tunnel.

Basicly i have fluid that fills in the tunnels, not allowing the tendons to move right, hurts like hell.

Easy remedy. You need to grab your hand with your other hand, and PULL away while having your elbow bent on the arm that hurts. So basicly your pulling your hand/wrist away from your arm, It will alow fluid the flow easier.

Also, in Canada i was given a tube from the doctor of Zoltrix cream. Find some of that, put a bit on your wrist when it hurts, within 1hour, the cream NUMBS your feeling in your wrist, so it will not hurt anymore.

BUT REMEMBER!!!! don't do anything, no guitar for the day/night, as the feeling of pain wont be there, don't strain it anymore.

This cream is made from pepeprs, there for if it enters the blood stream via open soar/cut it can kill ya, raise your heat beat and so on. However works great.

I advise it if you have problems with the wrist!

Ciao, and remember, anytime your going to be playing the bass, Stretch your wrist verry well so the fluid can flow greatly before you start bending the wrist. (i gather its your fretting hand)

ciao
You know you have CTS when you go to teh doctor and tehy do the electro-stimulus test (which hurts like hell btw) and it comes back with bad result.

There is a huge difference between tendonitis and CTS though. You most likely, if anything, have tendonitis, which is a constant tensing of the tendons/muscles in a certain direction due to constant repetitive motion. CTS usually developes later, and is joints/bones themselves rather than teh tendons/muscles. Tendonitis hurts, but will fade away if you stop aggrevating it for a little while. CTS is a bit more difficult, and either requires an extended period in which you do little or nothing to aggrevate it, physical threpy helps, and certain stretches and massages help a lot there. The alternative to that is surgery.

As for me, I have both. It blows. Just to give you an idea of how it feels (and how little I actually listen to my doctor's advice sometimes. don't worry, I don't ignore it often) having both, jsut in teh time it took me to type this reply, I went from having absolutely no pain in my wrists or hands, to having sharp shooting pains in both wrists, weakness and clumsiness in my fingers, a sharp pain going up my right arm into my shoulder, and a dull ache in my left arm and shoulder. If your hand just hurt a bit after you play, its nothing. If they start to hurt all of the time, go to a doctor asap.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by bass-jack
ive been getting pains in my playing arm, they start out in the forearm under elbow and extend to the hand and fingers and up to wear my arm and shoulder attatch, its starts at shooting pains then throbs for quite a while, its been happening really since ive started playing alot more slap bass, think this could be carpal tunnel? if so, how bad? think i should go to the doctor? i also do alot of writing and typing which i dont think helps

any opinions on whats up with my wrist?
ive been playing for only about 5 mins, stopped to type and my wrist/forearm is aching like hell
Go to a doctor, and have them check for tendonitis. Its more liekly you ahve that than CTS. I didn't develop CTS till after the third or forth attack of tendonitis. Have them look at it, and they can probably show you some stretches and techniques to help it a bit. Maybe give you an anti-inflamatory. Also, cut back on anything involving your hands as much as possible. Typing, video games, bass, etc. anything that aggrevates it. I know its hard, but it does help. Either way, you should probably check with a doctor.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by fuzzai

Also, in Canada i was given a tube from the doctor of Zoltrix cream. Find some of that, put a bit on your wrist when it hurts, within 1hour, the cream NUMBS your feeling in your wrist, so it will not hurt anymore.

This cream is made from pepeprs, there for if it enters the blood stream via open soar/cut it can kill ya, raise your heat beat and so on. However works great.

In the US, you can find the cream under the name Capiscan-HP. Its great for muscle aches and arthritis as well. Use very little, its pretty potent. But you need to be careful, its not a cure. Long term, if you feel you have CTS or tendonitis, you need to see a doctor.