After I have tuned the 6th string, when I tune the 5th string by making the open stringed pitch match the 5th fret of the 6th string, are they supposed to sound exactly the same? For me, they sound the same, but the 6th one is just bassier so I can;t tell if its the same. Please help, thanks.
Try getting it as close as possible. To check if they're in tune try playing the 6th string on 5th fret and the 5th string open. If they don't contrast in tone, then they're good.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
After I have tuned the 6th string, when I tune the 5th string by making the open stringed pitch match the 5th fret of the 6th string, are they supposed to sound exactly the same? For me, they sound the same, but the 6th one is just bassier so I can;t tell if its the same. Please help, thanks.

They should ring out the same pitch. There might be a slight sound difference do to the slightly different timbre of the strings, but the pitch should be the same. If you hear a faint "wavering" noise, they aren't in tune.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
+1 If two notes are close to the same pitch you get an oscillation between the two frequencies called "beats". The beats slow down as the notes get closer together and disappear when they're the same...if there's no beats then you're either in tune, or out of tune enough to be able to tell easily!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1 If two notes are close to the same pitch you get an oscillation between the two frequencies called "beats". The beats slow down as the notes get closer together and disappear when they're the same...if there's no beats then you're either in tune, or out of tune enough to be able to tell easily!

That kinda confused me more, I dont know what beats sound like.
Quote by LordBattlecrisp
That kinda confused me more, I dont know what beats sound like.

If you play the 5th fret of the 6th string and the open 5th string, let them ring for a second, and hear a wavering noise, then the strings are not in tune with each other. The closer they get to in tune, the wavering will get slower. Try it out and listen for it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If you play the 5th fret of the 6th string and the open 5th string, let them ring for a second, and hear a wavering noise, then the strings are not in tune with each other. The closer they get to in tune, the wavering will get slower. Try it out and listen for it.

gotcha, thanks