I have been playing for about 2.5 months. I have learned several of the Pentatonic Major scales and can run them pretty fast forward and backward. I started to try and improvise some and it seems that only the Blues come out of my fingers.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that anything comes out now sounding good . I am wondering if seasoned guitarists have a default style that just seems to come naturally. I did/do not intend to play Blues as my main focus but the style seems to be there.

Is this common ?

My thanks in advance.

Chris
When I improvise on sax, it's the same way. And I really do not like the blues... it's just kinda what I hear. I don't know what else to tell you.
Quote by RCShadow
I have been playing for about 2.5 months. I have learned several of the Pentatonic Major scales and can run them pretty fast forward and backward. I started to try and improvise some and it seems that only the Blues come out of my fingers.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that anything comes out now sounding good . I am wondering if seasoned guitarists have a default style that just seems to come naturally. I did/do not intend to play Blues as my main focus but the style seems to be there.

Is this common ?

My thanks in advance.

Chris

i do exactly the same thing, yeah
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
That used to happen (and still does) to me. I dont mind cause I like blues but punk and grunge is what I mainly play.
the pentatonic scale is used in a lot of blues, one of the more common i believe. might be why you hear so much blues
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
i mostly play rock, but i love blues. seems almost opposite. when I wanna play the blues I have to focus on what I play and have to really think about the blues. It seems when i use pentatonics, Its always fast and straight dirty rock n roll that comes naturally. which of course aint to far from the blues.
dude ur exactly like me except ive been playin longer... about 2 1/2 years... blues is really a style that can be put to anything u play its the base genre for all rock so mostly anything u play probably will end up sounding slightly bluesy even metal
Byaww!!
I have the same problem.. I'd love to get more of a metal sound for my improvised leads, such as Arch Enemy, Metallica, Children of Bodom and the likes. But all that comes from my fingers is blues How am I supposed to practice, and what am I supposed to strive for to get rid of this problem?
Thanks to all the replies. I am beginning to think that this happens to many people. Maybe it is a "stepping stone" that you go through on the climb to whatever your goal is.

Any more thoughts ? This is interesting

Chris
If you play the pentatonic scale without following a certain melody in a certain harmony its going to come out as blues in my experience. I had the same experience on piano when I first messed with the pentatonic scale. Don't worry though, even if it comes out bluesy it's still a great sound and its a very versatile sound that can be incorporated into almost all types of music. I incorporate bluesy licks into lots of different songs on the piano...

and of course you can always rock out like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Jh1BV1EOc

Cheers,
-Pin
Pin...

Thanks ! Great post and made me feel much better. I like SRV and 70-80's Classic Rock so maybe it will serve me well.

This is great ! Keep um, coming !

Chris
YES! This is exactly what happens to me! As soon as I start to improvise I get this bluesy rock kind of feel to my solos, and it's so hard to break the habit.
Take phrases from metal solos using pentatonics (Like all songs on Metallicas Kill 'em All), and work with those to get a less bluesy sound.