So I have a seymour duncan super distortion humbucker for my bridge, a dimarzio yjm for the middle, and a seymour duncan hot rails for the neck to replace the stock pickups in my mim strat. I want them wired in series, out-of-phase I believe, and I was wondering how to achieve this with the different brands of pickups? I'm a noob at wiring, and I haven't even had a chance to remove the pickguard on my strat to see what I'm dealing with, though I've watched the installation video on seymour duncans website, and I have this diagram

I've got red/white/green/black wires for the yjm, red/white/black/green in a black sleeve for the super distortion, and what seems to be red/white/black/green in a black sleeve as well for the hot rails.

So if the above diagram is correct, where do all the wires go exactly? The output wires go to the output jack, correct? But where does the negative wire go? To the back of the tremolo? And do the two wires that are soldered together get grounded to the pots or where?

If it would be easier for someone to explain it with a diagram, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't seem to be able to download the diagrams off of Dimarzios website, though I can get a hss one off of seymour duncans site, though I'm unsure due to the mixing of brands.

Thanks.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jan 10, 2007,
Also, on seymour duncans site for wiring diagrams, would I want the hss diagram with split or auto-split?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
bump
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Oooh...I hope your pickups' output are gonna be balanced. I'd fiddle with the pickup heights, if they weren't.

Umm...Those are all actually humbuckers. Now, it's not really a problem...the pickups just all use different color codes. Just to clarify...You want them Series wiring, and in phase, like how a pickup would normally sound... you don't need splits because they're all humbuckers. Yet, Even the YJM. That's why it's a hum cancelling model.
Let me go draw something up....
Okay, I'm way way too lazy, I've decided.
So...since they're all humbuckers...do this schematic (I'm assuming it's a Strat type guitar..):
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/3lil_hum_1v_2t_5w.html
But for the YJM, just keep that little diagram you have in mind. Like,wire it exactly the same, but on the schematic, imagine the middle pickup's color code to be like Dimarzio's...
So you're saying the hot rails, though a stacked single coil, is treated like a humbucker when wired? And the YJM can be treated as a humbucker as well?

As far as output being balanced, I heard somewhere that if you mix 2 different brands of pups, in my case would I just mount the hot rails upside down to put them in phase?

And wouldn't I want to use the dimarzio wire diagram for the super distortion and yjm rather than just for the yjm, considering they are both dimarzio pickups? Otherwise I can follow the seymour duncan schematic you just posted?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jan 22, 2007,
Oh, and I stripped about 1/4" off of the black sleeve of the humbucker to see what I was dealing with, and it has the black, green, red and white wires, but also a bunch of bare stranded wires...are they just supposed to be soldered to ground (vol. pot) like the green wires? It seems weird considering it is stranded wire...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by lespaulrocks39
So you're saying the hot rails, though a stacked single coil, is treated like a humbucker when wired? And the YJM can be treated as a humbucker as well?

A stacked single coil is a humbucker. You can tell they're all humbuckers because one, they don't hum, and two they have 4 wires + a bare shield. These four wires are beginning and end of each coil. And there are two coils per humbucker, so 4 wires. And actually, the hot rails isn't stacked. It's just...smaller. Hence...the two rails for pole pieces.

Quote by lespaulrocks39
As far as output being balanced, I heard somewhere that if you mix 2 different brands of pups, in my case would I just mount the hot rails upside down to put them in phase?

You don't need to do that. As far as I know, the only company that mixes around their polarities is Fender. Besides, that has nothing to do with output balance. The hot rails is a pretty high output pickup, where as the YJM probably is not. So lower the height a bit on the Hot Rails and raise is a bit on the YJM.

Quote by lespaulrocks39
And wouldn't I want to use the dimarzio wire diagram for the super distortion and yjm rather than just for the yjm, considering they are both dimarzio pickups? Otherwise I can follow the seymour duncan schematic you just posted?

You can follow which ever brand's schematic you want. It's all basically the same method, just different colors.

Quote by lespaulrocks39
Oh, and I stripped about 1/4" off of the black sleeve of the humbucker to see what I was dealing with, and it has the black, green, red and white wires, but also a bunch of bare stranded wires...are they just supposed to be soldered to ground (vol. pot) like the green wires? It seems weird considering it is stranded wire...

It's the shield. Just solder it wherever the diagram specifies.
Thanks alot man. Just one final question though...

When you mention pickup height, do you mean how high the pickup is off the pickguard, or how high the polepieces are? I have em all mounted in the guard right now, but they are fully-mounted and are as high as I can get them. And I'm assuming that's probably going to be an issue. So what would be a decent height to mount all the pickups at?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Depends. I mean, some pickups have adjustable or staggered pole pieces and some are flat.
Let's just say, from the pole pieces, if they were flat.
Umm...place 2 nickels between the strings and each pickup. That's pretty much as high as you want them to go. Then move the Hot rails a little further, and the YJM a little closer.
I finally got around to doing it, and I have some problems. First off, the hot rails in the neck sounds way too muddy. I think my tone pot is f*cked because it cuts off and sounds dirty, so I probably need to replace it. Do you know if I need different value tone pots, or will the originals work? Also, the yjm, since I lowered it, sounds incredibly weird, like a fully-depressed wah pedal metallic sound. I wouldn't think lowering the pup would do that, but apparently it did...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
I don't know about me the YJM, but I wonder why I didn't tell you the Hot Rails was going to be muddy. I do it in every other post where people say they're going to. Musta been high. Or I missed it somehow that you said it was going in the neck. My bad.
Yeah, replace the tone pots. Sounds like they're dirty.

Oh and the 2 nickels thing is for when you press down the highest fret on your neck. Like if you have a 22 fret neck, press the 22nd fret down, and make sure there's at least a nickel betwen the pickup and the strings.