Page 1 of 2
Same as Marshall

The ratings are:

Great (4): rediculously awesome/legendary/ highest quality

Good (3): Something the amp does very well, a reason you'd buy it

Mediocre (2): sort of a reluctant "OK", you can live with it, but you wouldn't brag about it

Bad (1): unacceptable/not what this amp should be doing

*you can just use the number so you don't need to spell everything out*

*Everything starts right between "Good" and "Mediocre". Moving one space up or one space down is easy. Moving two spaces up or two spaces down is hard.*

The Amps Are:
JSX
Triple XXX
5150/6505
Valveking
Windsor
Classic 30

The Criteria are:

-Overall Cleans
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch
-Overall Distortion
-Classic Rock
-Hard Rock
-Modern Rock
-Classic/Heavy Metal
-Modern metal
-"Nu-Metal"
-Grunge
-Jazz
-Blues
-80's metal/Thrash
-"Balls"
-Components/Circuit
-Playing response
-Built-in Features
-w/ effects/pedals
-versatility
-construction quality
-Intangibles

Ill go first:

Valveking 212: (with hours of switched settings)

-Overall Cleans-3
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch-3
-Overall Distortion-3
-Classic Rock-4
-Hard Rock-4
-Modern Rock4
-Classic/Heavy Metal-3
-Modern metal-3
-"Nu-Metal"-2
-Grunge-3
-Jazz-1
-Blues-2
-80's metal/Thrash-3
-"Balls"-3
-Components/Circuit
-Playing response-3
-Built-in Features-4
-w/ effects/pedals-4
-versatility-4
-construction quality-3
-Intangibles-3
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Last edited by synester_gates at Jan 10, 2007,
like I said, WITH HOURS OF SWITCHED SETTINGS, I actually found a great modern metal sound that took me 2 weeks. here it is for curios users

HIGH GAIN INPUT
BOOST GAIN: ON
VOLUME: ON
GAIN: 8 OR 9
BASS: 6-6.5
MID: 0
TREBLE: 6.5-7
PRESENCE: 10
RESONACE: 5

8 OHMS AND TEXTURE STRAIGHT UP AT 12:00
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Quote by vegetoe01
I think he means the volume boost switch?

Bingo
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Quote by pierce34celtic
Some pretty generous ratings there imo.

Very generous.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
I think this is a good idea to do with all/most major amp companies. But you should hold off on making the table untill you see how the marshall one is made. I am almost done, so it should be finished way before this one. You also need to give a list of amps.

Also, I suited the "criteria" to match the overall "Marshall style" or sound. You might want to come up with new criteria that better judge Peavey's.
^^true, true, I had it on 3 at most, that bitch is loud!!!
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Peavey Classic 50/410 Tube Combo Amp- I've owned this amp for a few months

-Overall Cleans-3
-Overall Distortion-2
-Classic Rock-4
-Hard Rock-2
-Modern Rock-2
-Classic/Heavy Metal-2
-Modern metal-1
-"Nu-Metal"-1
-Grunge-2
-Jazz-2
-Blues-3
-80's metal/Thrash-1
-"Balls"-2
-Components/Circuit-2
-Playing response-3
-Built-in Features-2
-w/ effects/pedals-I don't use pedals so I'll leave this blank
-versatility-2
-construction quality-3
-Intangibles-3

Peavey TransTube Rage 158 1x8 15W Guitar Combo Amp- I had this amp for about 3 years before moving up to the classic

-Overall Cleans-1
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch-1
-Overall Distortion-2
-Classic Rock-1
-Hard Rock-2
-Modern Rock-2
-Classic/Heavy Metal-1
-Modern metal-2
-"Nu-Metal"-2
-Grunge-2
-Jazz-1
-Blues-2
-80's metal/Thrash-2
-"Balls"-2
-Components/Circuit-2
-Playing response-1
-Built-in Features-1
-w/ effects/pedals-I don't know
-versatility-1
-construction quality-3
-Intangibles-2

EDIT: those valveking ratings seemed really generous, the 112 that I played didn't seem that nice.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by yeahyeah

EDIT: those valveking ratings seemed really generous, the 112 that I played didn't seem that nice.

Well iv tried a lot of tube amps and i agree with the thread starter, although it does take a while to find the right sound on this amp since theres so many settings with the texture *on the back*,resonance, presence toggles.Which actually seem to make a difference in the sound by quite a bit.

Edit: I cant say anything about the quality yet since iv not had it that long.
Not trying to sound like an ass or anything, but your review of the VK2x12, like mentioned, is very generous. Especially, in the 'Components/Circuit' area, and the glowing reviews for it sound-wise... I wouldn't exactly rate the VK as rediculously awesome/legendary/ highest quality in any category.

But, what do I know... I had the VK2x12 for two days before it crapped out on me. I think, you have your 'metal' mixed up.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Jan 10, 2007,
^^ u got a dud dude, they are very versatile amps, i actually play through my metal master for practice, and for gigs and band practice i play straight distrortion
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Last edited by synester_gates at Jan 10, 2007,
I obviously got a dud, along with many others duds that Peavey put out. I did get to spend a decent amount of time with it before it crapped out, I wouldn't call it a versatile amp. Decent cleans and an ok distortion for rock/classic rock.
Yeah this really doesn't look like a good idea, there are too many variables and the genre cats are waay to general. And personally you cna't honestly judge anything unless you have played a lot of amps. Or else it will just turn into another harmony central review full of people who just bought their amp 2 seconds ago and make a great reveiw becuase of their new amp hype.

btw, the vk isnt' that great. I really think its a poor excuse for a tube. Its a decent starter tube, but I think if you decide t ogo tube then somewhere along the road you realized ss is shit and want better tone. And really the vk isn't that, i think one coudl do A LOT better then that.
Quote by kaplac
Yeah this really doesn't look like a good idea, there are too many variables and the genre cats are waay to general. And personally you cna't honestly judge anything unless you have played a lot of amps. Or else it will just turn into another harmony central review full of people who just bought their amp 2 seconds ago and make a great reveiw becuase of their new amp hype.

btw, the vk isnt' that great. I really think its a poor excuse for a tube.

I agree. Especially, on trying to judge an amp with little to no experience with other amps. The majority of people here base their reviews and opinions on certain products off what they've read/heard online.

Going off the review of the VK2x12, it's obvious he really hasn't tried many amps at all. With the general ratings, there's no way the VK would deserve 4's for anything. Plus, with the general ratings, a 3 is almost pushing it.

It's a good idea though. Maybe, change the rating system. Even a simple 1-10 scale would work out better, that's if people really understand how to rate things. Lol, going by HC.com, there's not much hope.
the whole purpose for doing these ratings is to weed out the fanboy reviews and get the people with a lot of experience in said brand of amps.
I understand the purpose, but at least have some rules for posting reviews. Not everyone buys their gear using their ear/based on tone. Many just go for what's within their budget and what they can find at their local music shop.

yeahyeah - Very reasonable reviews, nice job.
^^ Ive played pretty much every major hyped amps except VHts and Mesas. My friend has a 6505, ive played JCM 800, 900, 2000 dsl, 2000 tsl, Ashdowns, Vox AC30's, every Peavey, Marshall, Vox, Line 6 and Crate amp there is
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Quote by synester_gates
ive played every Peavey, Marshall, Vox, Line 6 and Crate amp there is

That's going a bit far... and, you'd honestly rate the VK how you did even after playing "every Peavey, Marshall, Vox, Line6, and Crate amp there is?"

Sorry to say, but that's total BS.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by synester_gates
^^ Ive played pretty much every major hyped amps except VHts and Mesas. My friend has a 6505, ive played JCM 800, 900, 2000 dsl, 2000 tsl, Ashdowns, Vox AC30's, every Peavey, Marshall, Vox, Line 6 and Crate amp there is

you should want quality not quantity. People who own the amp and have played it for a long time and are familar with Peavey as a company, history of production, and amplifier lines will give you the best reviews. you show weight these reviewers more.

I have played some peavey amps in my day but I don't think I'm qualified to give a fair review
haha, you haven't played my amp. it's a peavey bravo 112...you've actually never heard of it, it's a million times better your VK.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Gutch220 - Nicely put. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't waste my time looking over the many glowing 'new toy' stage reviews.
If VK's are really that good, I'm assuming the 5150/XXX/JSX series are GODLY.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
If VK's are really that good, I'm assuming the 5150/XXX/JSX series are GODLY.

Hahaha. If the VK was that good, I might have possibly had the store order another one, but no.
Peavey Valveking 112

-Overall Cleans-3
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch-2
-Overall Distortion-2
-Classic Rock-3
-Hard Rock-3
-Modern Rock-3
-Classic/Heavy Metal-2
-Modern metal-2
-"Nu-Metal"-2
-Grunge-3
-Jazz-1
-Blues-2
-80's metal/Thrash-2
-"Balls"-2
-Components/Circuit
-Playing response-2
-Built-in Features-2
-w/ effects/pedals-3
-versatility-4
-construction quality-2
-Intangibles-2

There's my less biased review of a Peveay Valveking. I might have been a little generous, but IMO it's a jack of all trades, but isn't really great at anything.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Peavey Windsor

-Overall Cleans 2
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch 3
-Overall Distortion 2
-Classic Rock 4
-Hard Rock 2
-Modern Rock 2
-Classic/Heavy Metal 4
-Modern metal 1
-"Nu-Metal" 1
-Grunge 1
-Jazz 2
-Blues 2
-80's metal/Thrash 4
-"Balls" 4
-Components/Circuit 3
-Playing response 3
-Built-in Features 1
-w/ effects/pedals 4
-versatility 2
-construction quality 4
-Intangibles 1
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

^my opinion I guess, i dont care what you think, just rate the damn things like the 2 above me
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Quote by Gutch220
I think this is a good idea to do with all/most major amp companies. But you should hold off on making the table untill you see how the marshall one is made. I am almost done, so it should be finished way before this one. You also need to give a list of amps.

Also, I suited the "criteria" to match the overall "Marshall style" or sound. You might want to come up with new criteria that better judge Peavey's.

+1

I don't feel qualified to really post in here, as I've only tried them, but I thought the cleans/blues tones on the VK were better than the distortion, yet you have the distortion ranked higher. I guess it's personal preference and all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gutch220
the whole purpose for doing these ratings is to weed out the fanboy reviews and get the people with a lot of experience in said brand of amps.

agreed wholeheartedly. If you want fanboy reviews, just go to the reviews section of UG, FFS...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey JSX 212 Combo

-Overall Cleans - 4
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch - 4
-Overall Distortion - 4
-Classic Rock - Not sure
-Hard Rock - 4
-Modern Rock - 4
-Classic/Heavy Metal - Not sure
-Modern metal - Not sure
-"Nu-Metal" - Not sure
-Grunge - Not sure
-Jazz - Not sure
-Blues - Not sure
-80's metal/Thrash - Not sure
-"Balls" - 4
-Components/Circuit - 4
-Playing response - 4
-Built-in Features - 2
-w/ effects/pedals - 3.5
-versatility - 4
-construction quality - 4
-Intangibles - ? lol

This is a really bad review, since i haven't experimented with many sound with it, since I'm scared to lose the tone I have now, bu it's an all around good amp. For built in feaures I put a 2, because all it has is a reverb. But yea, someone do a good review of it, since mine isn't good lol.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
^^ it has a fully adjustable noise gate HELLO!
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
Bravo 112 (with a speaker change, Eminence Black Powder)

-Overall Cleans-3 (sparklyish, can do warm too)
-Overall Distortion-4
-Classic Rock-2
-Hard Rock-3
-Modern Rock-3
-Classic/Heavy Metal-2
-Modern metal-4
-"Nu-Metal"-2
-Grunge-2
-Jazz-4
-Blues-3
-80's metal/Thrash-3
-"Balls"-11
-Components/Circuit
-Playing response-3
-Built-in Features-3
-w/ effects/pedals-4
-versatility-4
-construction quality-4
-Intangibles-3

amazing amp w/ a speaker change, if you can find one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by synester_gates
^^ it has a fully adjustable noise gate HELLO!

Hello to you too.

And I forgot about that, lol.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Ill do the 6505 too, my friends band play with them

-Overall Cleans-2
-Overall Overdrive/Crunch-4
-Overall Distortion-4
-Classic Rock-3
-Hard Rock-4
-Modern Rock-4
-Classic/Heavy Metal-4
-Modern metal-4
-"Nu-Metal"-3
-Grunge-3
-Jazz-1
-Blues-1
-80's metal/Thrash-3
-"Balls"-10!
-Components/Circuit-3
-Playing response-2
-Built-in Features-3 (pre-post gain)
-w/ effects/pedals-(havent tried)
-versatility-2
-construction quality-4
-Intangibles-4
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Fender Tuner
^ for the 5150, you'd need a -6,000,000,000 rating for the cleans.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2