I've been playing guitar for over a year but I have been mostly just focusing on chords and singing. Then I realized how much I suck at other stuff on the guitar so I decided to quit that for a while and practice just getting better at playing.

So, I'm trying to learn the intro to "Good times bad times"

|----------------------------------------------------|
|9--9\-----------------------------------9--9\-------|
|9--9\-----------7---7-------------------9--9\-------|
|9--9\---------7---7---7---4-7-----------9--9\-------|
|7--7\-------5-----------5-----4~~~5--6--7--7\-------|

And I totally can NOT play that little lick. It looks so easy, just going up and down on a power chord. For some reason I can't get it steady or fast enough. I can play other stuff thats faster but this? no.

Is there some kind of picking technique I should practice for this that I am not realizing? Or do I just suck and need more practice with easier stuff?
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
Try alternate picking.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Have you tried to play it at a very slow tempo? I only ask because alot of people like to learn a song at full speed, which can be tough. People have natural speeds which thier more comfortable with, this may be one of those speeds that is hard for you. I've heard people say they can play really fast but not slow, kinda wierd you know, but its true.

I think you should just practice it with alt. picking at a very slow tempo and work up the speed when you feel your ready.

Or you could eco. pick it at a slow speed and work up the tempo, but i recomend alt. picking it unless your already good at it and feel ready for eco. picking.

alt. = alternate, picking in a down, up/ or up, down, pattern
eco. = economy, picking in a pattern where if you start on a down pick and your next note is the string below the one you started on, you continue with another down pick. Same as if you start on a up pick.

well if you knew all that already then no big deal, but if you didn't and would like more detail on the different picking types just ask and someone will help.

hope some of this helps.
epic7734
Hmm I guess I was trying economy picking. I'll try doing it with alternate picking so it gives me a bit more control maybe that was my problem.
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
Quote by Rib5

So, I'm trying to learn the intro to "Good times bad times"

|9--9\-----------------------------------9--9\-------|
|9--9\-----------7---7-------------------9--9\-------|
|9--9\---------7---7---7---4-7-----------9--9\-------|
|7--7\-------5-----------5-----4~~~5--6--7--7\-------|
|--------------------------------------------------|

And I totally can NOT play that little lick. It looks so easy, just going up and down on a power chord.
Is there some kind of picking technique I should practice for this that I am not realizing? Or do I just suck and need more practice with easier stuff?

Ya gotta, free your mind, and break them rules... to prevent noodlin' from turning into finger spaghetti.

As I used to say to my little brother when he started getting interested in girls and guitars, the secret is the fingering.

Anyways, the Introduction to "Good Times Bad Times" also known as the badass bass finger alternative is one of the best kept country music guitar secrets, the key to knitting major scale runs and cascading arpeggios...

Say
I is your index finger
M is your middle finger
R is your ring finger
P is your pinky.

|------------------------------------9--9\-------|
|------7-----7-----------------------9--9\-------|
|---7-----7-----7-----4--7-----------9--9\-------|
|5-----------------5--------4~~5--6--7--7\-------|
|------------------------------------0--0--------|

-M--P--P--P--P--P--M--I--P--M--I--M--M
Last edited by ColdGin at Jan 11, 2007,