Robson amp and 1st Act or Ion bass.

But seriously, Washburn and Yamaha have some cheap basses worth the $$.
A used treasure, and just lil busted up amp for now, or depending on the music you wanna play, just wait for a good amp later after saving up for awhile.

I found a nice fender used (in great shape i might add) for $220. (sold on most retailing websites for 700ish range)
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Last edited by Americanhoser at Jan 10, 2007,
ibanez makes good cheap basses, yamaha too, just take care of it if you get a yamaha, they fall apart in my experience
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
I started on bass a few months ago with a Squire starter pack. Its a little more than you wanted to spend ($299 at Musicians Friend/Guitar Center), but it comes with a guitar, amp, cable, gig bag, strap, and instructional video. So far mine has held up pretty well, but I do try to take good care of it.
Get on Craigs List--you will find all sorts of nice basses for below $250. You just have to be very patient, and search beyond your local area. Do a Google search, type "craigslist" and the kind of bass you want. You will get a global search for that bass. I browse almost everyday, and find absolute gems on there for cheap.

I found a 1965 Guild Starfire for $600, an Epiphone Rivoli for $450, and a Fender Precision for $200. They all needed a little treaking, but they are all crowns in my collection now.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!