Is it possible to put a gibson dirty fingers humbucker on a Fender standard stratacaster (humbucker-single-single)? Will anything go/be/sound wrong if it is done?
im pretty sure the dirty fingers is a REALLY high output pup so you will probably get a significant drop in volume by moving from the 'bucker to the single coils.

other than that there wont be any problems at all.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I think the gibson coils are spaced further apart than fender strings are. I don't know if they'll match up.

EDIT: You may have to put the 'bucker on an angle.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Last edited by burntfacedog at Jan 10, 2007,
The only problem you'll have is the pole piece spacing.

Gibsons string spacing is 2-1/32" while Fenders spacing is 2-7/32".

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jan 10, 2007,
Doesn't the Dirty Fingers have huge pole peices like on the Invader? I remember reading somewhere that Invaders don't come with F-spaced pole peices because the poles are so big. I may be wrong.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Spacing shouldn't matter too much.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
any one remember eddy van halens frankenstrat?

that originally used a gibson humbucker, when eddy was young he wanted a clapton sound but couldnt afford a gibson so he bought a gibson humbucker to get his sound.
if only he had waited a few years for clapton to sitch from a gibson to a strat he wouldnt need to have done that. but im pretty sure eddy was the inventor of the fat strat?
Quote by TonyRandall
^ i dont think that could/would happen.../

could be wrong though

im pretty sure im right about what i said but if a few people say there wont be a drop in volume/output then the TS can take their word for it and ill leave.........
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

pole spaceing will be off, but thedifference in overall width is 3mm, so not major, if you can find one with 53mm width it'd be better. and it will be higher volume than the singles, but this can be reduced by lowering the pickup, or equalling out the difference by using hotter singles.

"You're a MESS!"
Quote by liquidstate
pole spaceing will be off, but thedifference in overall width is 3mm, so not major, if you can find one with 53mm width it'd be better. and it will be higher volume than the singles, but this can be reduced by lowering the pickup, or equalling out the difference by using hotter singles.

a thank you

yeah its gonna be about compromise. you wont be able to have all 3 pups at their optimum height without a volume drop.

then again it could be a positive for you.id imagine you will be using the bucker only for distortion right?well then went you want to play clean passages in songs,turn off ur distortion pedal and move to one of the single coils and it will give you an appropriate level for clean.

again it all depends.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Van Halen slanted the Gibson Humbucker until the outside poles lined up with both the high and low 'E' strings. Then, originally, he nixed the single coils because he couldn't remember how to wire them. there is a great write-up in this months GW magazine on the creation of the Frankenstein.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6
so would a guitar store (i.e. Guitar Works in Evanston {if anyone is familiar with that place}) be able to do all of that for me? And wouldn't they be able to adjust all three pick-ups so as to minimize the volume difference?
go to http://www.musiciansfriend.com and search ' strat humbucker ' and an apple tone pickguard will come up ..... i think they only have one color but you can paint a pickguard with any spray paint you want in any color you want. i would rewire all the pickups w/ 16 gauge wiring while your at it ( you cant get for less than $10 for like 100' at lowes or any car store ) . this will help your single coil match the output of your humbucker and create one high output mean sounding ****ing strat. i have only rewired all my single coils with heavy gauge wiring and pulled a few magnets on my strat so far, and it sound pretty mean for a standard strat. if you have the money i would just save and get an ibanez, gibson sg ..... they are cheap right now, or a nice jackson. well goodluck and do that shit right if you do it lol
Fucking Metal all the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music page
thank you for the suggestion, but i would like to give my strat a Gibson sound... my plan for the set up is: Humbucker= Gibson Dirty Fingers, Single= Standard Fender, Single= Bill Lawrence Noiseless (i havent figured out which one yet)
Dirty fingers will work no problem. The gibson pickups are not spaced quit as wide as fender pickups, but pretty much all the humbucker pickups out there are spaced to a gibson spacing. SD, Gibson, Demarzio... There standard humbucker spacing is the Gibson spacing and that is what we all use. I actually like the gibson spacing better than the F spaced humbucker pickups. So don't wory about it. It'll work.
Not taking any online orders.
Be sure that the mods you make will produce the tone you're after. A strat will never sound like a Gibson. there are too many variables that go into each guitar design. I'm not saying that you can't get close to the Gibson tone, but I don't believe you'll get that true Gibson sound out of a strat. the same goes fro getting a Fender sound from a Les Paul. there are too many other design differences between the two.

However EVH built his tone by breaking the rules. you never know what will happen when you color outside the lines. GL.
It's so crazy in here you're gonna wish it wasn't so crazy in here!

1995 PRS CE
Fender 50s Classic Player strat
Johnson Millenium 150
Boss GT-6