Hey I'm trying to look for books that would teach me more about jazz guitar specifically on theory and improvisation. I can improvise some basic jazz progressions
so I'm looking for something intermidiate-advanced level. I want to get really good
at improvising
Scott Henderson has a DVD on Jazz-fusion improvisation that is supposed to be very good.

While he may not be jazz, one DVD that has helped me alot with playing over progressions is Marty Friedmans Melodic Control.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Neon Knight
Scott Henderson has a DVD on Jazz-fusion improvisation that is supposed to be very good.

While he may not be jazz, one DVD that has helped me alot with playing over progressions is Marty Friedmans Melodic Control.

His jazz fusion dvd is nothing compared to his absolutely incredible and in my opinion greatest instructional video ever made Melodic Phrasing.

Another good one is Jamey Aebersold's Anyone Can Improvise, along with Emily Remler's Bebop And Swing Guitar.

But it looks to me like you're looking more for a good book than a good DVD, Boghead.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
His jazz fusion dvd is nothing compared to his absolutely incredible and in my opinion greatest instructional video ever made Melodic Phrasing.

Another good one is Jamey Aebersold's Anyone Can Improvise, along with Emily Remler's Bebop And Swing Guitar.

But it looks to me like you're looking more for a good book than a good DVD, Boghead.

I hear melodic phrasing is a must have, I was going to get it, but Sam Ash dosent carry it so I got a Frank Gambale DVD on speed picking instead.

oh and isnt Aebersold a sax player?
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Yeah, and he does the Anyone Can Improvise video on piano... It's not instrument bound.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Cool thanks, I really needed it. I was looking for anything that would help. I'm planning to study jazz at college next year so I have till then to get my Improvisational skills to a decent level.
Of course a good substitute would just be to transcribe and improvise a lot.
Robben Ford's "Blues and Beyond" DVD
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
My old guitar teacher has this book called "jazz theory" (original eh) I think it is. Its huge, but it has about everything. Great book.

There, I just asked him about it on msn, and he said that its an amazing book.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Probably The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine, but I guess I thought that was evident because I've recommended it so much

So yeah, great book, everyone should have it. It's 522 pages if my memory serves me right, and I'm too lazy to go check

Click.