I've been looking for a new amp that will suit my needs for a while now and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've got a few that fit the bill, but was wanting all of your expert opinions

Got £400-£500 ($800-$1000) to spend on an amp that has nice clean tones that sustain really well, and are good for medium gain british crunch. High wattage isn't a factor as i'ts going to be mainly for recording and house playing purposes. The two amps i have in mind are:

Orange Tiny Terror,

and,

Hughes and Kettner Edition 20th Anniversary

Any other suggestions and pros and cons of these amps will be appreciated.

Cheers
You can pretty much get whatever you want with that budget if your willing to go used.

If you want a british crunch look at an older plexi or a JCM800. People say the cleans aren't that good but I like them (I have an 800). Its not fender clean but its got a really good sound and if you like blues you get a real good punch and sustain with you picking dynamics.

If you want the best of both worlds...get a Traynor Blue. Marshall crunch and fendery cleans. I love mine.

Or try Laney. They are very marshall esq to.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Cheers Bonchie, I'll look into the JCM800. I'd much prefer something of a lower-wattage though. Anyone else have any ideas?
Wouldn't the Fenders give a more American sounding crunch though? Cheers for your opinion.
Marshall DSL401, Orange Rockerverb combo or AD combo, Vox AC15 or 30 used.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
For £500, you can get the Orange Tiny Terror and a 1x12 cab from GAK, and you said you fancied one of those.

I do like the look of the tiny terror, I might have to try and play on one
If you want a small amp, the epiphone valve jr is really nice for the price you pay. But as you have more money the tiny terror would be a great choice!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
fenders have perfect cleans if you can get an overdrive boost it will help but whats best is if you use the clean channel and crank it up foroverdrive using a booster to make it distort more
The Tiny Terror seemed perfect until i realised it didn't have an effects loop. Any other options? Unfortunately the Rockerverbs and the ADs are out of my price range.
In that price range you might find a Dr Z Carmen Ghia. Sweet little amp. I'm surprised at the price of the Tiny Terror there. I can find them for $550 in the states, I wonder why they're more expensive in the UK.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I can afford the Tiny Terror no problem, it's just the fact that it doesn't have an Effects Loop that puts me off.
Quote by R_H_C_P
Marshall DSL401, Orange Rockerverb combo or AD combo, Vox AC15 or 30 used.

Maybe, but the marshall's not the best option for the cleans and british gain he wants.

The laney's and vox amps are your best bet.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Marshall DSL401, rocks your balls, tears them off and throws them all the way out of the window (not necessarily in that order)
Anyone know the difference between The Laney LCs and the VCs? Also, anyone have any thoughts on the Hughes and Kettner Edition 20th Anniversary? Sounds pretty sweet on their website.
Quote by tristan123/
Maybe, but the marshall's not the best option for the cleans and british gain he wants.

I own a DSL 401 and believe me, you can get awesome cleans from it, and some truly british overdrive sounds too.
Sound City half stack. Best cleans ever IMO. I picked up a 1973 L120 head for £280, and that leaves you with plenty to get a cab with. Has a proper British rock sound, very similar to Hiwatt in character and sound (due to the fact of them being almost identical), but cleans up extremely well. Jimi Hendrix used a L100 for clean tones on such tracks as Little Wing, so that gives you an idea of the clean tones. They were also used by the likes of David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, Status Quo, Jimmy Page and apparently Eric Clapton had one in the Cream days too, after hearing Townshend's L100 head.

EDIT: Forgot to say; they don't have a drive channel, so you'll need a pedal, though you can drive them too with the help of bridging inputs, attentuated inputs, and a Sensitivity switch on the back (which I think reduces the power ouput on mine from 120W to 60-80W or something)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Last edited by Calum_Barrow at Jan 11, 2007,
They do look like they'd be excellent, but i'm just after something that's low on power. I love the sound of Soldano and Hughes and Kettner amps. Soldandos don't come cheap though.
Laney LCs have more gain than the VCs. They can get up to hard rock and just into classic metal territory.

The VCs have better cleans and a lower gain drive channel, and most people seem to think they are better amps.

I've tried the VC15 and LC15 and the VC15 didn't have enough gain for me but the cleans and light crunch tones were very nice.
Quote by aliwilson27
They do look like they'd be excellent, but i'm just after something that's low on power. I love the sound of Soldano and Hughes and Kettner amps. Soldandos don't come cheap though.

You can always get a Sound City 50 Plus. 50W all-valve, and you can always get an attentuator (as the L50 doesn't have attentuated inputs like the L120). They still have the Sensitivity switch on the back though. Or is 50W still too high? They did do a 30W valve combo, called the Concord, which also goes for pennies. Sound City really are one of the undiscovered vintage amp brands, and considering their almost twins the Hiwatts from the same era go for over twice as much, they are bargains. Even Hendrix picked one for clean tones over a Marshall to record with.

EDIT: Also, the higher models (such as my L120) have a reverb loop on them, in addition to the normal and brilliant channels.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Quote by tristan123/

I always thought the valve marshalls were what the phrase british gain was based upon.
The Stuff!
lol @ sound city.

I would say the H&K would be my favourite. I have played tons of their amps and they are all awesome, even the matrix (which are SS).
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
lol @ sound city.

lol @ sound city.

I would say the H&K would be my favourite. I have played tons of their amps and they are all awesome, even the matrix (which are SS).

Sound city heads are legendary - very little to speak of in the way of distortion but they hit like sledgehammers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com