This has been happening to me since i started playing guitar, after playing power chords through like a three minute song my hand gets so sore, like really bad cramps not my picking hand the hand that is doing the power chords. I have never stretched before playing guitar and just a minute ago it got really bad, so i had to stop. how can i make it stop?
It could be becasue you don't stretch, but are you new to guitar, because it will hurt, that's park of it. Sometimes, an song is just tiring to play, I always found that the verse of Smoke on The Water used to make my hand sore, but I don't play that song very much anymore.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Start whacking it with your left hand?

It's just a matter of building up the muscles in your hands/wrists/forearms. How long have you been playing?
That happened to me too. Just let your hand rest. Don't play if it hurts.
Are you playing with a strap?

If you are, it might be too low, and you might be straining your wrist. Make the strap shorter or try playing sitting down.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I think it's because of your muscles (palm and finger) aren't stretched out enough. I get that every once in a while. It might also be because your neck's too small.

Try bending back your thumb as much as you can, within reason before playing.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Are you playing on a decent guitar? There are a few factors that can make it harder for you to do chords like that on your guitar. Things like high action, thick strings, and acoustic guitars can make it harder for you to hold chords. I used to find that I got that a lot, but now that I've been playing for a while, I rarely feel it. I think it's because my gear is better now, but it may be due to the fact that I just got used to it after a while.
massage your fingers, your palm, your wrist. strech 'em out. (something I never did when I was new to playing)
i agree with tweeres04. stretch it. but ya, some songs are just tiring, and your muscles will get tired like any other muscle in your body after working it out for awhile.
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Generally, it's just a strength issue. Just practice, rest your hands, you'll get it in time.
Luckily, I NEVER had wrist problems from powerchords (and yes, i can stretch my fingers far, don't try to pick at me at that).
Also finger and hand size. Having longer (even more slender) fingers can make a difference, though not always, and it's not something you can control, so don't worry about it, because after time it makes no difference.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by tweeres04
Are you playing on a decent guitar? There are a few factors that can make it harder for you to do chords like that on your guitar. Things like high action, thick strings, and acoustic guitars can make it harder for you to hold chords. I used to find that I got that a lot, but now that I've been playing for a while, I rarely feel it. I think it's because my gear is better now, but it may be due to the fact that I just got used to it after a while.

same happened to me, i used to get muscle cramps in my left hand when i started playing guitar. alot of things will take some getting used to, but stick with it. it may be a good idea to stretch your fingers and muscles if you're feeling pains. if stretching doesnt work, just try not jerking off that day.. see if that helps
stop masturbating give ur hand a rest HAHA, thats old after 2

hold ur axe up higher so u can get ur hand under better, also dont curl ur wrist to form the chords, keep ur palm flat against the back of the neck
Are you playing 3-note powerchords? Playing the pinky note does add strain to your hand, so 2-note powerchords may be easier. Most of a powerchord's impact comes from the first two strings anyway, so it's a reasonable tradeoff, imo.

This is probably obvious to you, but make sure that you're fingering the chords correctly. Index on the 1st note, ring finger on the 2nd note. Middle finger's flipping the bird.

Also, when playing powerchords, you don't need to be grasping the neck as you do when playing barre chords. Just let the neck rest between your thumb and index finger while you hold down the notes with slightly curved fingers.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jan 11, 2007,
Sounds to me like your griping to tightly or using to much force. Try to breathe and relax when you play.
I get this aswell, I've been playing for around 2 years, I've got a decent amount of strength, and I stretch/warm up before playing.....it is very strange, but it only happens on power chord songs longer than 4 or 5 minutes
I think it's coz the neck on my guitar is thicker than a les pauls (i dont know the make of the guitar, it has MD on the headstock but i cant find any websites about it) so any further tips for my own situation would be greatly appreciated
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I think someone alrady sugegsted it, but you mght just have the strap too low. I don't know how eople play with really low-slung guitars.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
hehe there must of been like 4 wanking jokes there, anywayz, strap isnt low , its not even past my waist, i think it may be coz im gripping wwaayy to tight as said above thanks for the replies though!
Quote by RoCk KeATeS
This has been happening to me since i started playing guitar, after playing power chords through like a three minute song my hand gets so sore, like really bad cramps not my picking hand the hand that is doing the power chords. I have never stretched before playing guitar and just a minute ago it got really bad, so i had to stop. how can i make it stop?

Just how LOOoooowwww is your guitar slung ?
May I ask what guitar you're using when it hurts like this? I started on a Strat and that's when I started feeling my carpal tunnel, it was horrible, but now I've got a Les Paul and I never get pains anymore. I think it's because Les Pauls are a shorter scale or something, I'm not sure but Strat = Pain, Les Paul = No Pain, for me anyways,