ok when i set my gains to max and volume up... u'd get a hissing hum for sure right.. and now its pissing me off.. would a noise gate help that sorta noise? or m i jst gonna have to live with it.. and if it helps.. do i HAVE to get the ISP decimater like everyone says...
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Get a noice gate and place it in the effects loop between the preamp and the poweramp. All that hiss is produced by the preamp tubes.

I have a cheap 60 dollar rocktron hush pedal and it works fine.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
yeah you dont need the ISP there are some other ones, EHX makes a pretty cheap one now too. But remember that cheaper ones can really adversely affect your sustain if you dont set them just right.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
thnx heaps for that idea~
does it kill sustsain ?

edit: ok guess it does.. how do u set it up right then?
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
notif you set it up just right, though you may have to let a little noise through, it depends on how the particular gate functions, some of the newer ones work by targeting the frequency of the noise and eliminating that instead of just cutting everything below a certain volume.

Last.fm
My rocktron hush pedal works great. All it has is a simple on and off foot pushbutton and a knob that goes min - max.

I've tested it totally off..and on max..and the tone sounds almost exactly the same minus the hum. The sustain is also still great.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
yeah they seem to have gotten a lot better about that with those, i have an old one around that i can barely use because if you turn it up to where its useful it cuts the sustain so know i just ignore the noise live and remove it digitally in post production for recording.

Last.fm
I have a noise gate also but I know some very good guitarist's who dont use them.

Turn the Volume down a little on your guitar and try to learn to mute the strings which are not being played. I know with me just beginning I need all the help I can get but it would be nice to learn how to play without one..

What about a Behringer feedback destroyer or something along those lines?
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Last edited by halfstacked at Jan 10, 2007,
I've got one of the Behringer noise gates, and its pretty damn good.

No issues with it sucking sustain, does the job very well, and cost me £15. Its worth getting one just to experiment with
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I know if I make an entirely new thread that everyone will jump on me for not "Searching".

I'm currently having some problems with background hum as well, and it's most likely due to my Telecaster's single coil pickups. Would getting a noisegate fix my problem? Or would it be easier to just get 'noiseless pickups'? Or both?

Thanks in advance.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
Quote by halfstacked
I have a noise gate also but I know some very good guitarist's who dont use them.

Turn the Volume down a little on your guitar and try to learn to mute the strings which are not being played. I know with me just beginning I need all the help I can get but it would be nice to learn how to play without one..

What about a Behringer feedback destroyer or something along those lines?

Muting strings doesn't have anything to do with Preamp hum. You can turn your guitar off and still have preamp hum simply because its turned up.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by fisher6
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I know if I make an entirely new thread that everyone will jump on me for not "Searching".

I'm currently having some problems with background hum as well, and it's most likely due to my Telecaster's single coil pickups. Would getting a noisegate fix my problem? Or would it be easier to just get 'noiseless pickups'? Or both?

Thanks in advance.

not sure if it will get rid of all the hum. you can take the guard off and foil line the pup cavity. that would probably work well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
get a noise reducer, not gate. a gate only cuts noise whilst you are not playing, but when you start it lets it through. a good example is the boss n2-2. pedals like the rocktron hush and ISP decimator are reducers, so id recommend one of those
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Quote by serbusfish
get a noise reducer, not gate. a gate only cuts noise whilst you are not playing, but when you start it lets it through. a good example is the boss n2-2. pedals like the rocktron hush and ISP decimator are reducers, so id recommend one of those

Yeah. Thats what I've got. Works great.
Quote by deg0ey

Gear:

Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals