hey everyone.

I have a dilemma.

I own an american standard strat which i rarely play and don't really like other than the looks of it. The sound is wiry and thin ( I really don't care for singlecoils) and way too bright. So im thinking of selling it, to financiate my buying a gibson les paul standard to replace it. OR, i could keep it, in case i grow fond of it sometime in the future, and just get a les paul studio instead.

The problem is that I don't know if i want a studio. They are so light compared to the standards, meaning they have less sustain. They're not made out of the same type of mahogny in other words. Thats about the only problem I have with them. I want the real deal. The real les paul. Heavy, with a fat bassy tone. I'm not sure the studios are right for me in that respect.

I did however try out a studio in the store today, which seemed kinda good. It was easy to play, and i fancied the tone as well. I'm not sure however, coz its been some time since i played a gibson les paul, so might be I'm just too used to my epiphone, making any gibson i touch seem like a piece of heaven.

What d'you think?
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
I would personally go with the Classic.

Les Paul in Ebony.. mmm
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
CLASSIC
thinner neck, better pickups

best guitar in HISTORY.
the studio is just an uglier version of the standard.
here, ill do the math for you.
classic > standard > studio
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Jan 10, 2007,
Well, technically speaking, the standard is the nicest, but It's all about what you want. If you want a big fat mahogany tone, then the studio is not what you want. It's definitely lighter, and more shallow, meaning possibly less sustain, and low end umph.

The classic and the standard are very similar, just pickup covers and whether or not the top is figured. They both have maple tops so it's just what kind of neck you want, 50s or 60s on the standard, 60s on the classic, and if what cosmetics you want.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Quote by RPotts
Well, technically speaking, the standard is the nicest, but It's all about what you want. If you want a big fat mahogany tone, then the studio is not what you want. It's definitely lighter, and more shallow, meaning possibly less sustain, and low end umph.

The classic and the standard are very similar, just pickup covers and whether or not the top is figured. They both have maple tops so it's just what kind of neck you want, 50s or 60s on the standard, 60s on the classic, and if what cosmetics you want.

actually the classics have ceramic pups.
500T+496R
standards have 498T+484 or w/e it is.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
classic
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Quote by danzig-_-
actually the classics have ceramic pups.
500T+496R
standards have 498T+484 or w/e it is.

You're right about the classics P/Us, but the standard has the burstbucker pro pickups.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
hate to burst your bubble.

but IMO, if your going to get a gibson les paul, you might as well go all the way and get something from gibson's Historic line.

for just a few hundred more then the standard, you can get a 1957 reissue or a 1958 reissue like i have.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
^I don't have the cash to "go all the way". The quality leap between a gibson les paul custom and the gibson les paul standard is no where near big enough to warrant the 1,000 dollar price leap IMO.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
i played a white studio the other day guitarcenter, thing was amazing
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by Guitar-freak
^I don't have the cash to "go all the way". The quality leap between a gibson les paul custom and the gibson les paul standard is no where near big enough to warrant the 1,000 dollar price leap IMO.

Play a few more customs then buddy...
after you play enough, all other necks start to feel CHEAP.

I understand the cash situation though. I'd go with the standard. Or a classic... both are pretty nice. I played a couple of studios recently though, and they felt like toys.
Last edited by shizzybrane at Jan 11, 2007,
"financiate", I like that!

This may sound out there but I'd go for a Japanese Burny or Edwards lawsuit LP Custom or Standard copy on Ebay. The body specs are the same as Gibsons, the electronics are better IMO (especially for heavier music) and they usually can be had for around $800 brand new. I've owned 6 Gibson LP's (mostly Studios but a couple of Customs also) and have ditched them all since discovering Burny's. They're heavy, solid Les Pauls with great 59-style necks and flawless craftmanship. I'm done with Gibson, their quality control is so iffy, which I just don't think should be an issue when you're paying $3000+ for a guitar. I haven't played any recent Edwards but I've heard the same thing about them, and most of their newer guitars come with either EMG's or Seymour Duncans.

A couple of Burny models I like:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlc/rlc115_blk_index.html

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlc/rlc45js_index.html

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlg/rlg55s_stb_index.html

And the full current lineup:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/guitars_burny_index.html

In addition to Ebay, these guys can get you any of the current Burny models for around $800 or so including shipping to the US depending on the model (the prices on their website are in Singapore dollars)

http://orangeguitar.com/forsale/burnyforsale.htm

And a place that sells the current Edwards lineup:

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar1.html

Anyway, if you don't care about the name on the headstock but just want the best Les Paul for your money I think these are the way to go.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 11, 2007,
Hmm i dont know about it being lighter, ive held my studio and my friends standard and there ARE VERY VERY VERY close in wieght, honestly, the difference from the standard is the neck and pickups, trim, and it has a flame top, thats not worth an extra 1000 bucks for me, so i say studio and uprgrade the pickups.
Epiphone EJ-160E 6 string acoustic
Fender american highwayone sunburst strat
Art and Lutherie Cedar 12 string acoustic
Gibson (White) Les Paul Studio
VOX AC30CC
boss dd-3
ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
The person right near the top got it right with the equation.

Classic > Standard > Studio
Quote by ZacR
Hmm i dont know about it being lighter, ive held my studio and my friends standard and there ARE VERY VERY VERY close in wieght.

Yea, in my experience most Studios weigh about the same as a Classic or Custom. And honestly, the amp you're using and the guitar's pickups have a much larger effect on the sustain and tone than the wood or the weight.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
Quote by fatgraymatt

Anyway, if you don't care about the name on the headstock but just want the best Les Paul for your money I think these are the way to go.

http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/spec/e-lp-110ctm.html that's hot ^^
i think i've got a new future guitar right there in blue i wonder how much they take for shipping
Quote by fatgraymatt
"financiate", I like that!

This may sound out there but I'd go for a Japanese Burny or Edwards lawsuit LP Custom or Standard copy on Ebay. The body specs are the same as Gibsons, the electronics are better IMO (especially for heavier music) and they usually can be had for around $800 brand new. I've owned 6 Gibson LP's (mostly Studios but a couple of Customs also) and have ditched them all since discovering Burny's. They're heavy, solid Les Pauls with great 59-style necks and flawless craftmanship. I'm done with Gibson, their quality control is so iffy, which I just don't think should be an issue when you're paying $3000+ for a guitar. I haven't played any recent Edwards but I've heard the same thing about them, and most of their newer guitars come with either EMG's or Seymour Duncans.

A couple of Burny models I like:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlc/rlc115_blk_index.html

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlc/rlc45js_index.html

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/burny/rlg/rlg55s_stb_index.html

And the full current lineup:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/guitars_burny_index.html

In addition to Ebay, these guys can get you any of the current Burny models for around $800 or so including shipping to the US depending on the model (the prices on their website are in Singapore dollars)

http://orangeguitar.com/forsale/burnyforsale.htm

The burny's aren't specced the same as the gibson les pauls. They all have maple veneer tops, not the full scale 4/3 inches thickness of the gibsons.

As for the edwards, they all look too flashy for my tastes + the seymour duncan SH pickups don't really appeal to me. On the other hand, i've always loved the sound of the gibson stock pickups. Only thing i'd change, is if i got the studio, i'd install a classic 57' in the neck.

I played the studio in the shop again today, and i must say, its definately one of the very best les pauls i've ever tried in my life. Right now, it'd take a lot for me to give that guitar up, especially since i'd have to sell my american strat to get either the classic or the standard.

Thanks for all the tips everyone though
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
Quote by Guitar-freak
The problem is that I don't know if i want a studio. They are so light compared to the standards, meaning they have less sustain. They're not made out of the same type of mahogny in other words. Thats about the only problem I have with them. I want the real deal. The real les paul. Heavy, with a fat bassy tone. I'm not sure the studios are right for me in that respect.

Actually, the mahogany is the same type and grade on Studios, Classics, and Standards. What differs is the maple top. And this has no effect on sustain, only the brightness of the sound. And even so, that difference is marginal at best.

The Standards have nicely figured 3/4" maple tops, whereas the Classic and Studios have 3/4" plain maple tops. This different species of maple will affect the tone, but really it's quite marginal. Without taking pickups and neck profile into consideration, a Classic is essentially a Standard without a figured top. The Studio is essentially a Classic without binding.

As for your experience, with a Studio, that could easily have been the same with a Classic, Standard, or even a Custom. With Gibson, one guitar can vary so wildly from another 'identical' one that it's not even funny. Try 3 different 'identical' Les Pauls, and you'll likely be playing 3 different guitars as far as tone is concerned. If you like the look of the Studio, then choose your guitar based on how it sounds and feels and not how it looks or how it's appointed cosmetically.

Also keep in mind that the pickups on the Studio sound different than on the Standard or Classic. That plays a big part in the tone of the instrument too. The Standard and Classic will tend to have a brighter tone due to the Bustbucker and ceramic pickups, whereas the Studio has warmer alnico pickups.

Good luck with your shopping.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jan 11, 2007,
Try them all out, that's what I did when I was after Les Pauls.

The Standards sounded better, the Classics were good and looked better, and the Studios were alright, nothing special to me though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Guitar-freak

no its not a leap between a les paul standard, and a les paul custom. because that isn't a big leap.

what i am talking about is the regualer production gibsons vs the custom shop gibsons.

for a few hundred more then a gibson les paul standard production model, you can get a 1958 custom shop historic reissue standard, which has a non weight relieved body, and long neck tenon for increased sustain. with a lot more attention to detail.

you also have PAF style humbuckers

the production model gibsons all vary in quality, but i haven't seen a historic reissue that has ever been bad.

and if you don't have the money to go historic, then you should wait, because it really is worth spending the money for.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
Quote by danzig-_-
CLASSIC
thinner neck, better pickups

best guitar in HISTORY.
the studio is just an uglier version of the standard.
here, ill do the math for you.
classic > standard > studio

wrong. even from an "everyone has their own preference" point of view.

guitar-freak, how about getting a new pickguard and whacking a humbucker in there?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha i do realise my post was very opinionated.

but you have to be bold or people wont listen.
gibson ceramics are amazing man!
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ they're shit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh cmon dave....
youre saying out of those three guitars, you dont like the classic?
pickup-wise or what?
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ pickup-wise is the main thing, I think the standard is a better guitar too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i kinda like both necks, the60s is just a little bit more comfy when playing certain things.
what else do you think.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ you can get the 60's neck on the standards too... I dunno, the standard just had the vibe, and didn't have awful pickups. the classic pickups, possibly as some kind of ironic nod at the name, had way too modern-sounding pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh i saw that on musicians friend.
and yes, its called a classic, but its so modern, high output pickups, thin neck (although it was made in the 60s, it appeals to people who play fast stuff)
weird.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I have a studio. It's a good guitar. I want to get an American Strat next, I need a tremelo bridge.
Quote by Guitar-freak
The burny's aren't specced the same as the gibson les pauls. They all have maple veneer tops, not the full scale 4/3 inches thickness of the gibsons.

They're not veneers unless you consider Gibson's tops veneers. It's a difference of about 15% in thickness from 3/4 of an inch. Actually I thought that Gibson's LP's had a 15/45 mm ratio as well but I guess I was wrong about that.
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jan 12, 2007,