Considering my main music influences come from the 80's, I as a guitar player tend to enjoy that style of music. I'm talking about bands with great vocalists, great bass players, great drummers and guitar players. Songs filled with catchy riffs and bleed your face solos.

Now, when I flick to a local radio station, listen to the top 20, or some new songs, I (like many) find it to be....pretty dull really. Nothing jumps out. nothing makes me say "jesus, that was unreal. that was great! I want to learn that song, I want to know about this band!" But, that's just me.

Now, my point is this; Say you have a band that has a great guitar player, great drummer, great vocalist and bass player (even a keboard player if you like) and they all are in great tune with each other. they make great songs, awesome solos, great stage antics. basically, an 80's band like Van Halen, Ozzy etc with a modern look (no lipstick and spandix and all that funky stuff) and more modern sound as well (but keeping that 80's feel) Do you think people would be like "hmm. wtf is this? I'm not really digging it....break out some 3 days grace and pour me some Jack Daniels in my 7/11 big slurppie cup" or do you think they would go "man, this is some great stuff. this is a band I've been waiting for"

Now, I know some people dislike the 80's hair metal and all that. I'm talking about any band from long ago that just really rocked and involved some real genius.

Do you think it would open up some new doors and really cause much affect and attention? or do you think it would be considered crap, and tossed aside for the next big Greenday record?
i think that people who appreciate good music would relize that it is awsome but to the ignorant little craps and their punk music would just think of it as another song so it could happen
Dragonforce.

Actually, I know their is alot better bands to list but Altronakatu reminded me to suggest them.
Dragonforce to me is the start of bringing back the 80s. If you go to one of their shows, you would think your at a RATT show.
I think that everyone should just bust out their Loch Ness Green JEMs, zebra print spandex, and start doing REAL screaming. (Not that shitty hardcore "screaming")
Quote by KissingShadows
I think that everyone should just bust out their Loch Ness Green JEMs, zebra print spandex, and start doing REAL screaming. (Not that shitty hardcore "screaming")

hardcore screaming is the real screaming...
you cant bring back the 80s

the 80s bring back you
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I would dig it, but I have friends who've never heard of Van Halen. I loaned him my mp3 player to show him, and he scrolled through it until he found the one Blink 182 song I had on there.

They say word of mouth is the best advertising. Unfortunately, all the radio stations around here play crappy pop-rock, rap, and country. Or worse....Cowboy Troy. But as long as "The Band" has a video on the YouTube...we're okay.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by KissingShadows
Listen to Yngwie's stuff, THAT is real screaming, or David Lee Roth, Bruce Dickinson!

Quote by myself101

the 80s bring back you

Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
hell yeah man. the greatest music came from the 80's. my favorite is the 80's. i had a band that had the VERY 80's feel with a modern sound. works well and i hope a band like that breaks throught into the mainstream, then many bands will follow and the 80's will come back.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
<3 iron maiden. thank god they're still putting out albums.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Dude, haven't you guys heard of the Naked Brothers Band, from Nick? Kick ass shit right there. That inspires me.

To jump off a ****ing cliff after going on a murderous rampage....****ing little twits.

On another note: Check out Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and stuff by Dream Theatre. Also, I think that System Of A Down makes(made =( ......they're not together...nor are they technically broken up....) some good stuff too.
There's still a ton of bands with talent. It's just hard for them to get popular nowadays. Back in the 80's, a talented, flamboyant guitarist was a good way for a band to gain some attention. In modern times, most people detest complicated instrumentation, so the talented bands have taken a back seat in mainstream society.

I don't think that any of Symphony X's albums have even gone gold, but I love them to death. Then I see small jazz bands and a capella groups come through once in a while, and they're really good, but they don't get a lot of mainstream recognition.
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO-TOAD
Quote by Quintessence153

I don't think that any of Symphony X's albums have even gone gold

that is a damn shame
Quote by DanceMrBojanges
Dude, haven't you guys heard of the Naked Brothers Band, from Nick? Kick ass shit right there. That inspires me.

To jump off a ****ing cliff after going on a murderous rampage....****ing little twits.

On another note: Check out Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and stuff by Dream Theatre. Also, I think that System Of A Down makes(made =( ......they're not together...nor are they technically broken up....) some good stuff too.

I know about Steve, Joe and Dream Theatre. Excellent stuff (thanks for the suggestions though!)

Naked Brothers Band? I'll look into that

I'll also check out a couple other bands people mentioned.

Still, even with this small number of bands, you don't really hear much about them...at least I don't (aside from System Of A Down) If I diden't have the internet, I woulden't know about half the bands I know.
Quote by altronataku
that is a damn shame

Aye, that it is, that it is. Some of my friends actually enjoy some of their music, but they don't like buying albums that aren't at Wal-Mart or Targer. It's amazing to see the effects that mainstream exposure can have on a band. Thankfully, I have the INTERNET!
No animals were harmed in order to bring you the above post. However, several photons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote by Quintessence153
Aye, that it is, that it is. Some of my friends actually enjoy some of their music, but they don't like buying albums that aren't at Wal-Mart. It's amazing to see the effects that mainstream exposure can have on a band.

well just tell them to dl it.

actually that's probably why they don't sell so well lol.
Quote by Holy Katana
I've only heard of them, but aren't Towers of London hair metal?

Punk.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
hey, remember this thread is about a mainstream band that can be played on the radio such as hair metal was played in the 80s, dream theater, vai, satriani and symphony x aren't mainstream.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
^ And the idea is that they should be.

BTW, i don't know if you can tell, but he was joking about the Naked Brothers Band. It's pop for 7 year olds.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Everyone reliased that Ozzy and Van Halen sucked (although I am rather patial to 1984) before the 90's even started. So to answer your question, no.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by UniverseZero
hey, remember this thread is about a mainstream band that can be played on the radio such as hair metal was played in the 80s, dream theater, vai, satriani and symphony x aren't mainstream.

good luck finding a band that actually has that extent of mainstream play, especially when today's demographics look past the superfluous and inane shredding and flashy and cheap guitar playing and actually listens to music for the music.
Quote by myself101

the 80s bring back you

Only in Soviet Russia!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by altronataku
good luck finding a band that actually has that extent of mainstream play, especially when today's demographics look past the superfluous and inane shredding and flashy and cheap guitar playing and actually listens to music for the music.

I hope you're not saying that Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci are supefluous, inane, flashy and cheap.
Quote by DanceMrBojanges
I hope you're not saying that Steve Vai, and John Petrucci are supefluous, inane, flashy and cheap.

let me put it this way: not everyone's wishes come true.
^^
What does that mean? Not everyones wishes come true? Well, that is obvious, but what do you mean by that? Clarification is required...
Quote by DanceMrBojanges
^^
What does that mean? Not everyones wishes come true? Well, that is obvious, but what do you mean by that? Clarification is required...

You said: "I hope you're not saying..."
He said: "Not everyone's wishes come true."

He was clarifying that he was in fact calling Vai, Satch, and Petrucci are superfluous, inane, flashy, and cheap. Altronataku is usually pretty picky about music, so it's probably best to try to agree to disagree with him.

Quote by Quintessence153
You said: "I hope you're not saying..."
He said: "Not everyone's wishes come true."

He was clarifying that he was in fact calling Vai, Satch, and Petrucci are superfluous, inane, flashy, and cheap. Altronataku is usually pretty picky about music, so it's probably best to try to agree to disagree with him.

well if you'll look closely, i left out satch

yes i'm picky, yes i'm blatant, but no, whatever i say isn't fact, obviously. so disagree if you want.
Quote by altronataku
well if you'll look closely, i left out satch

Oh, didn't notice that. Well, kudos to you, then.