ok, i'm not in a band. i just eff around a lot and try to record some stuff when i feel like i'm "on" with the intention of puting together my own music at some point (i'm also learning tabla, which i will be encorporating when i get halfway descent). but when i sit down with my guitar it seems like the same old thing comes out of my fingers.
i know my major, and (by default i guess) relative minor scales. but i'm talking about something that comes from somewhere else other than THEORY.

I once heard a guitar solo. i was scrolling down the left hand side of the fm dial one morning and getting nothing but white noise, when this ... thing came out of my speakers. I had NEVER heard anything like it. and to this day. it was so far beyond what i could have ever concieved. i don't even have the words to really describe it, except that i think a rift in space-time opened up and the ninth ring of hell leaked into this plane of existance. and i wasn't even hopped up on reefer.
it was blazingly fast, but it certainly wasn't shred-style. it wasn't metallica by any stretch of the imagination. this was an expression of Hell.

obviously i'll never have the kind of physical talent as this. but how do you go beyond playing notes and scales and patterns and styles (ie: blues, jazz, shred, neo-classical) and play what you're really hearing in your head?
That was an intense story because I am smacked and I thought about it. static then out of where an intense solo. OH MAN I am thinkning of one rigyht now
Gear:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Strat
Washburn BT-2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Crybaby
Digitech Hendrix Pedal (Multi-Effects)
Blues Driver
Tube Screamer TS-9
M-Audio Jam Lab
Digitech GNX4 Guitar workstation
well if you wanna play what your hearing in your head then learn the sounds that come out of your guitar what patterns sound good hum it and when you hum the tune goto a note and hit it best i can tell you learn your guitar bro
Quote by sethp
ok, i'm not in a band. i just eff around a lot and try to record some stuff when i feel like i'm "on" with the intention of puting together my own music at some point (i'm also learning tabla, which i will be encorporating when i get halfway descent). but when i sit down with my guitar it seems like the same old thing comes out of my fingers.
i know my major, and (by default i guess) relative minor scales. but i'm talking about something that comes from somewhere else other than THEORY.

I once heard a guitar solo. i was scrolling down the left hand side of the fm dial one morning and getting nothing but white noise, when this ... thing came out of my speakers. I had NEVER heard anything like it. and to this day. it was so far beyond what i could have ever concieved. i don't even have the words to really describe it, except that i think a rift in space-time opened up and the ninth ring of hell leaked into this plane of existance. and i wasn't even hopped up on reefer.
it was blazingly fast, but it certainly wasn't shred-style. it wasn't metallica by any stretch of the imagination. this was an expression of Hell.

obviously i'll never have the kind of physical talent as this. but how do you go beyond playing notes and scales and patterns and styles (ie: blues, jazz, shred, neo-classical) and play what you're really hearing in your head?

well if your gonna wanna play whats in your head, sorry to break it to you but your best bet is to go for theory and ear training. then you can learn and practice relative pitch so you can apply the sounds in your head to your fretboard

either that or see a shrink if your hearing things...
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
so when you pick up your guitar and you just start playing for fun, how do you break your typical routine? you start with one note, then where do you go? how do you create something that you've never done before? i mean besides smoking up a whole ounce of reefer?

Quote by soccermom
Consult ****face

uhhh, who dat?
Last edited by sethp at Jan 10, 2007,
I can do that too, just humm this awesome solo in my head, but i can rarely get it out on the guitar, and when I do it doesnt sound quite right, because its missing effects and what not. Anyways i suggest ear training(with ear training you must know theory ) that and own quite a few different pedals/boxes.
how do i play what i'm hearing in my head.... ahh a question that has plagued guitarists forever.... heres what i did/do. first i recommend learning a good bit of theory, knowing your scales and intervals will help AMAZINGLY. now it sounds like you already know these. next up would be practicing both scales and intervals quite a bit. what you want to do is practice these enough so that you cement into your brain the interval relations between notes which is easier said than done, when you hear the solo in your head you need to be able to know instantly "ok is I-bII-III" or "i'm hearing an arpeggiated C#m chord" really the best thing to do is practice and learn many different styles of music as you will come across things in jazz that you never heard in metal or things in latin music you never heard in country. opening your mind up to all the different sounds is a really great way. another thing you can do is practice improv, a lot!!! the more you improv the more your brain will get used to translating to your fingers all the different movements and intervals.
what i do is i think of the beat and then hit a strign randomly to start then think of the beat again and ask urself if the pitch goes up or down. so then if u think the pitch goes down test any frett going down until u get it
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
lol I am exactly opposite. All I hear in my head is song I know. I just let my fingers do what ever they want; loosely based on scales, can't let the man hold me down by rules of theory. Some times they sound like crap other times they are gold. In fact that is how I come up with riffs play for a few hours till I hear a segment I like and then repeat it. Needless to say it isn't very effieceint but I lack the skill of creativity.

Except their are a few exceptions where I accidently and not knowingly play a riff from a song that I never tried to play. It is like subconsciously I know the sounds and know the songs just can't do it on command. It is really upsetting.
Try humming a melody out loud. Try to match a few of the notes, then hum it again.

And ofcouse theory, because theory is cool no matter what your doing with guitar or other instruments.
epic7734
Quote by Nick_
creativity can be learned

if you want it hard enough

i would like to ask, what are your methods for learning creativity?
Quote by z4twenny
i would like to ask, what are your methods for learning creativity?

I am curious about this too.
some people just have it and some people don't, some people fall in between, lol, the people that don't have it are usually constrained by the insane amount of theory that they soak up, not that theory isn't good, but too much can hinder you, don't let it hold you back, ultimately u gotta hear the music, i've learned mostly by ear on the guitar, but i also know a good amount of theory, but i don't apply it on the guitar half as much as i would on the piano...as u learn songs by ear more and more, u start to recognize riffs and licks and patters, as u get better u learn to string them together and twist them in ways that sound good to you, basically practice, a lot and u can get to that point...and how the hell do you teach creativity?!!
Some people naturally have more potential for creativity than others, but anyone can be develop their potential and become more creative.

Think of it as a muscle, sort of; you use or you lose it. Constantly writing, even if you don't intend to share, is the main way, even if you don't realise, to build your creativity. Also , although it may seem counterintuitive for just a second, creativity absolutely thrives on limitation. Limit yourself in anyway you can, and work around it. Write a song using only two strings; only don't let that limit the song. Be creative in your limitations.

Imagination is a fundamental human property. If you "think you just aren't creative", that's frustration, but if you beleive it (and you will if you use it as an excuse long enough) it will limit you as if it was true.
well, my two cents is this:

remember that when you hear some amazing guitar solo like you described, it's got a band playing behind it. When a song really comes together properly and the whole band is on the same page, the solos end up with really really great dynamics. Naturally, the guitarist must be up to the physical challenge as well.

i find that i write my most interesting stuff after a really good band practice or gig, because I'm more in tune with how the band sounds behind my playing. So one step on the way to playing what you hear in your head is to get your own band to hear in your head as well.
Go to Cyberfret.com and do some Ear Training.. Ear Training can be one of the most important things in making music. When you find out what key your solo is in, maybe improv with a simple pentatonic scale or any scale and see if you can recreate that sound your are looking for.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians