Im just starting to learn scales and i wanted to ask a few people that have already been there and done that, how they went about starting with it, Which scales did you learn first and then which ones did you learn after that???
Pentatonics. It doesn't matter what you learn next, but learn at least a shape or two of pentatonics.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
The five pentatonic shapes then the major scale and modes.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
do you have guitar pro? i created this cool way you can learn scales.. its really easy, it no problem for me to solo all over the neck.. if you want it let me know
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
i will pm u now
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
Quote by xtopher_aaron
do you have guitar pro? i created this cool way you can learn scales.. its really easy, it no problem for me to solo all over the neck.. if you want it let me know

Can I have it too? =]
ok well i know my minor pentatonic major pentatonic and blues scale, and i just learned my C major scale which is also Am so where should i go from here??no i dont have guitar pro but now i wish i did,is there anyway else i can get what your talking about????
ok dude, you dont really need to have guitar pro, but it seriously helps if you have it.. i think that its great for young guitarist and more advanced ones as well. you can get of Limewire or something, or if u have msn, i can send it to ya, the whole GP software, blues_ball@hotmail.com

anyways, since youve already got down the minor/major and blues scales down, instead of just doing it in C or Am keys, try them in different keys. From a Am scale box, all you have to do is move everything 2 frets up and you get a Bm scale.. wallla..

another thing you should work on is, i assume that when you said you got down those scales, i assume that its only in the first position, would i be correct? first position meaning

E--5-------8--
A--5----7-----
D--5----7-----
G--5----7-----
b--5-------8--
e--5-------8--

would i be correct? if so, try figuring out where the next positions are, there are up to 5 pentatonic boxes until you reach the next octave of the first position.
this is what the excersice ive got caters to.

so yea if you want it, pm me with email adds..

peace,
Chris
no actually you getting me wrong i have learned all 5 boxes of the minor pentatonic scale which is the major im just useing a diffrent root note as you probabl know, and the blues scale is just the minor pentatonic with a flat 5 meaning your adding one only that one note in and i know how to change that all around the neck im pretty good at doing that with the blues and pentatonic i know my diagonal shapes and everything.

Ialso know only the C major scale which can be Am if you start with A as your root note instead of C, what im wondering is what i should try next, learning the open boxes for each key or what??? and thanks dude ill e-mail that would be sweet if you hook me up with that program because then i can get the good tab thats on this site plus i heard its easier to read or something is better i guess, also i hope theres no virus on it or anything because i already have a hard enough time with my computer so can i trust you dude???
i just had my pc reformatted cos of viruses, i know the suck, but you can trust me dude. No worries.

about your playing, if you have mastered all positions of the pentatonics, maybe you can try it in different keys man, i mean, not every song is gonna be in Cmajor or Aminor, hahhaha.. so yea, try them in different keys, all you have to do is move your entire first position box 2 frets up the neck and youve got yourself a Dmaj or a Bminor scale.

it always helps to know these things. Then maybe you could try out some modal scales?
ok your still not getting me, i know the pentatonics and blues scale in all keys. but i dont know the major and minor scales in all positions, but i know how to get there, my main question is should i learn the conventional paterns first or the 3 note per string sweep patterns for each scale??any advice??
I say conventional patterns, the truth is, if its harder, it will work out better for you. I find the note sweep patterns abit time consuming for me.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
The five pentatonic shapes then the major scale and modes.

^^^^ I Agree

The 5 pentatonic shapes are probably the most import scales/patterns you can learn.

I found that my playing went through the roof once I learned them, and they help you understand standard major/minor scales as well.

If you plan on doing riff work and solos, learn your pentatonic forms (there is only 5 of them). Then tackle your scales (there are only 12 of them) (kinda sorta-ish)

It isn't as hard as it seems, and you really won't get anywhere until you have them down.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by xtopher_aaron
i just had my pc reformatted cos of viruses, i know the suck, but you can trust me dude. No worries.

about your playing, if you have mastered all positions of the pentatonics, maybe you can try it in different keys man, i mean, not every song is gonna be in Cmajor or Aminor, hahhaha.. so yea, try them in different keys, all you have to do is move your entire first position box 2 frets up the neck and youve got yourself a Dmaj or a Bminor scale.

it always helps to know these things. Then maybe you could try out some modal scales?

If you know the shapes, you know them in every key...
yeah i know my minor and major pentatonics in every key and my blues in every key now im just learning my major and minor scales, can anybody tell me if the melodic minor is the same as the natural minor??
learn the minor scale. its cool
harmonic minor can be interesting if ur into neo-classical or sumtin like malmsteen...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yeah i know the harmonic minor has that classical style which i love in many metal bands and i love classical music as well, but is the melodic minor the same as the natural minor???
The melodic minor is not the same as the natural minor.. but I cant explain the difference without looking it up :p
its cool. im always up for a chat with fellow musicians..

Rock On!

Chris..
Quote by xtopher_aaron

E--5-------8--
A--5----7-----
D--5----7-----
G--5----7-----
b--5-------8--
e--5-------8--

Should be the other way around last time i cheacked.

And when you learn all the shapes of the major/minor scale you just move it around to get it in different keys.
sorry bout that, was in a rush so i did it wrong.. my bad..
To first go about learning scales.. the pentatonics and the major and minor scale should be primer.. but for this post I'll focus on pentatonics:

There are many ways to move through the forms. None are more valid than any others. Some are easier than others, but none are really possible unless you REALLY know thep atterns, in all keys and all over the fretboard. This is seriously pushed, you need to know the pentatonic scales.. here are the shapes in their minor and major position

Pattern 1-Minor Pattern 5-Major
E|O|-|-|O|
B|O|-|-|O|
G|O|-|O|-|
D|O|-|O|-|
A|O|-|O|-|
E|O|-|-|O|

Pattern 2-Minor Pattern 1-Major
E|-|O|-|O|
B|-|O|-|O|
G|O|-|O|-|
D|O|-|-|O|
A|O|-|-|O|
E|-|O|-|O|

Pattern 3-Minor Pattern 2 - Major
E|-|O|-|O|-|
B|-|O|-|-|O|
G|O|-|-|O|-|
D|-|O|-|O|-|
A|-|O|-|O|-|
E|-|O|-|O|-|

Pattern 4-Minor Pattern3-Major
E|O|-|-|O|
B|-|O|-|O|
G|O|-|O|-|
D|O|-|O|-|
A|O|-|-|O|
E|O|-|-|O|

Pattern 5-Minor Pattern 4-Major
E|-|O|-|O|
B|-|O|-|O|
G|O|-|-|O|
D|O|-|-|O|
A|-|O|-|O|
E|-|O|-|O|

You could play in one pattern for a while and then simply move up or down to another and play there for a bit. This is in fact a good way to play, but it limits you to riffs and phrases suited to the pattern that you're in. If, on the other hand you are able to move freely and fluidly through the scale patterns--playing a little bit of one then moving into another--you can open up a whole world of possibilities in your playing. You can play runs spaning the whole fretboard, or up and dowon, or whatever.

One very way to go about this is to play three notes per string before moving to the next string. Since each of the scale patterns has only two notes per string, adding the third will move you up or down into the next patter. This is important, because you want to be able to move through the patterns in many diferent ways.

There is a ton more to learn about pentatonics, and I'd suggest you go look up some of the lessons here on UG or cyberfret.com or wholenote.com gl
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

hey thanks alot man, letme say quick thsat i can move around up and down the neck and i know all my diagonal shapes which helps with that but i didnt think about useing the pentatonics in a weep pattern like you say useing 3 notes per string that will really help me. now since you know that you can play 3 notes per string what major scale pattern should i learn first the conventional which has 3 notes on all strings but one and are a litle diffrent or the sweep pattern that have three notes per string and move up?? hope you know what im talking about. I know i need to learn both to mix up my solos but what do you reccomend learning first??
I might have an idea.. Do you mean something like this?

E|O|-|O|-|O|
B|-|-|O|-|O|
G|-|O|O|-|O|
D|-|O|O|-|O|
A|O|-|O|-|O|
E|O|-|O|-|O|

This is the more conventional one
E|O|O|-|-|-|
B|-|O|-|O|-|
G|O|-|O|O|-|
D|O|-|O|O|-|
A|O|O|-|O|-|
E|-|O|-|O|-|

Sorry if I'm not getting what your trying to say
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians

"do you have guitar pro? i created this cool way you can learn scales.. its really easy, it no problem for me to solo all over the neck.. if you want it let me know"

Hey Can i have it too?
Those who never made mistakes, never made discoveries."

Japanese/Chinese

Weapon: Gibson Les Paul Studio.
no i wish i had guitar pro but i don't.

and the conventional and sweep patterns go like this,

-1--------3---------5-
-1--------3---------5-
------2---3-----------
------2---3---------5-
-1--------3---------5-
-1--------3---------5- the conventional pattern

-----------3--------5----6-
-----------3--------5----6-
--------2--3--------5------
--------2--3--------5------
--1--------3--------5------
--1--------3--------5------ the sweep pattern.

so which one should i learn first??? i know i need to know both of them but what did you learn first and what would you recommend me learning first??