I play a Zakk Wylde Epiphone and it has two EMG-HZ pickups. To be honest I think they suck. They always sound really dull no matter if I have my tone knobs all the way up and the treble to 10 on my amp.

I have a squire strat and I can get way more sounds out of it than I can out of my Epiphone. So, not knowing jack shit about pickups, how much does a good one go for? I'm guessing if I switch out just one for now I will be ok.

Also any suggestions are welcome, I like to play rock like GnR and Iron Maiden type stuff but I also like to do some Sublime and RHCP too.
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
If they're active pickups, which I'm guessing they are, then it may be the batteries in the pickups. Just an assumption and I'm not 100% sure, correct me if I'm wrong.
HZ' are passive pickups, so if u wunt active pickups some work is gonna have to be done for the 9-volt battery placement and wiring
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
HZ's are crap but people on ebay will pay like $40-50 for em.
I have no idea why.
OK HZs are crap but your amp is garbage and there in lies the problem new amp will make it sound much better
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^^yes, you would hardly notice the new pickups. A new amp will do you wonders.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
I'm sorry, but you're going in the complete wrong direction, the pickups will shape your tone almost NONE compared to the effect your amp will have on your tone, get a good amp before you replace pups.
But new pickups WOULD help. He's said he can get better tones out of his squier, and HZs are notoriously crap.

New pickups would be a good quick fix until he can afford to buy a new amp.

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Well, I'm going to be pretty frickin poor for the next few months so I think a really good amp is out of the question for little bit.

Also I might play a concert in like a month or so and we would be using better amps there.

But you guys are saying I won't be able to tell any real difference over my HZ's if I change it to something better?
Zakk Wyld Epi
SD-1 Overdrive
Martin DX1
buy a mighty mite motherbucker. they are really hot and are real cheap.
But new pickups WOULD help. He's said he can get better tones out of his squier, and HZs are notoriously crap.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say it simply could be that the amp is coping better with the single coils than the more complex tones of the Epiphone's humbuckers. HZ's are not EMG actives by a long shot, but they should still be better than the el-cheapo stocks that they put on bog-standard Squiers and Epiphones. The singles will be inherently treblier, plus there's more tonal variation from a strat anyhow.

It might be worth lowering the pickups in the epi to give them a bit more "breathing space" , around 5mm with the treble side a little higher to offset the bassiness, it may help matters.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'll play devil's advocate here and say it simply could be that the amp is coping better with the single coils than the more complex tones of the Epiphone's humbuckers. HZ's are not EMG actives by a long shot, but they should still be better than the el-cheapo stocks that they put on bog-standard Squiers and Epiphones. The singles will be inherently treblier, plus there's more tonal variation from a strat anyhow.

It might be worth lowering the pickups in the epi to give them a bit more "breathing space" , around 5mm with the treble side a little higher to offset the bassiness, it may help matters.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that! Good point

So I'll reassess my advice and say listen to Mark here, and if that doesn't work then think about changing your pickups.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music