I've decided I've had it with my piece of crap BC Rich Mockingbird. Aside from being a mediocre guitar, I find it hard to play, due to the thickness of its neck and its overall bulkiness. In addition, my hands small and my fingers are disgustingly short. I've been told Ibanez guitars have relatively thin necks and are cheap(er) to boot (I'm a relatively poor university student). I've done some shopping around and the SZ320/520 appeal to me. So, my question is, are they good guitars? How do the necks feel - are they easier to play for those of us with small hands/short fingers? Any other style/brand recommendations, for under $600 (CDN)?

I can't just go and try out a few guitars. There's only one music store in my city and they only sell crappy Fender knock-offs, so I have to order online.

PS: I like to play metal.

Last edited by Varulv at Jan 11, 2007,
i dk about the models you listed in particular but ibanez wizard necks are thin and fast. one of my friends has pretty small hands and he liked the wizard necks a lot. i like them too but prefer musicman necks. i dk wat the usd to cdn conversion rate is but for a good ibanez look into the s470s.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I used to play an RG350, and it's a very easy to play and relatively small guitar. I currently play a BC Rich Avenge Son Of Beast (10% smaller neck than a standard Son Of Beast, which is just a single humbucker beast made specifically for metal.) So I practically play a fancy Beast right now, and the RG350 is a good bit smaller. If size is a problem, this is an easy one.
i have an sz520 qm and i love it to death. the sound is awesome for everything, metal in particular and u can make it sound real mean in drop c with some heavy distortion. it is a pretty solid guitar though, which is awesome for its tone but if you are a bit smaller it might become hard to play standing after a long period of tie due to its weight...but saying that it is not excessively heavy so no need to really worry. the neck of the guitar is my favorite thing about it. its a one piece the neck feels great. i think smaller handed people would stll manage on this guitar..it is a great guitar and a knock out for the price...but if i were you i would take a road trip and find a guitar shop and make sure
Quote by kanamvar32
i dk about the models you listed in particular but ibanez wizard necks are thin and fast. one of my friends has pretty small hands and he liked the wizard necks a lot. i like them too but prefer musicman necks. i dk wat the usd to cdn conversion rate is but for a good ibanez look into the s470s.

Thanks. I've heard Ibanez necks are thinner than other guitars. I did look into the s470s, but from what I've seen, they're slightly out of my price range.

Quote by Ishiga
I used to play an RG350, and it's a very easy to play and relatively small guitar. I currently play a BC Rich Avenge Son Of Beast (10% smaller neck than a standard Son Of Beast, which is just a single humbucker beast made specifically for metal.) So I practically play a fancy Beast right now, and the RG350 is a good bit smaller. If size is a problem, this is an easy one.

That's just the comparison I was looking for. Thanks.

Quote by cammodore
i have an sz520 qm and i love it to death. the sound is awesome for everything, metal in particular and u can make it sound real mean in drop c with some heavy distortion. it is a pretty solid guitar though, which is awesome for its tone but if you are a bit smaller it might become hard to play standing after a long period of tie due to its weight...but saying that it is not excessively heavy so no need to really worry. the neck of the guitar is my favorite thing about it. its a one piece the neck feels great. i think smaller handed people would stll manage on this guitar..it is a great guitar and a knock out for the price...but if i were you i would take a road trip and find a guitar shop and make sure

I want a versatile guitar, so that's good that the sound works for all/most genres. I'm not worried about weight. My Mockingbird is a beast and I've no trouble standing with it for long periods of time.

Unfortunately, a road trip is out of the question for me. I have class until 3 or 4pm everyday and don't drive. The nearest large city is a 1.5 hour bus ride away. That's why I'm asking here. The website I'm interested in ordering from has a 30 day exchange/return policy if the guitar isn't my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
There are a lot of Ibanez fans here...I guess I'm one of 'em...so you'll get a lot of Ibanez responses. However, they do offer a lot of bang for the buck, a good metal look and attitude, and the ones with the Wizard necks offer about the thinnest necks of any company.

I have big hands and long fingers so I don't know what to tell you as far as that goes, but if you want a thin neck, Ibanez is solid. I guess $600 Cd is like 500 USD, so aren't S470s in that price range? Another Ibanez with the Wizard II neck is the RG321. It just has two Humbuckers and a fixed bridge though...but people rave about it...esp with a pickup swap...it's under $300 US.

The thing to watch out for is that many Ibanez guitars in this price range have a crappy trem on then...do some searches on here an you'll find the brands to avoid.

I have an RG1570 (Prestige with Wizard Prestige neck), which is $750 US new and is a nice guitar, but the RG550/RG570 are very similar in specs and can be purchased used for $250-400 US depending on age/condition.

Just look for the Wizard neck and a ZR or Edge Pro trem and you'll be fine with Ibanez.
My stuff...

Ibanez RG1570
Ibanez GSA60
Vox AD30VT
Ibanez S470.. awesome guitar, i just got mine last Xmas.. beautiful, plays smoother than a babies bottom.. id make love to it if i could.. Hahahaha.. nahh im kiddin..
"I don't mind making sissy rock. I'll rock your ass sensitive style" - John Mayer
The SZs are amongst the most versatile guitars out there. However, you might have a bit of trouble getting to grips with the neck, it's no way near as skinny as Wizards.

Your best bet is to try one out.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The SZs are amongst the most versatile guitars out there. However, you might have a bit of trouble getting to grips with the neck, it's no way near as skinny as Wizards.

I've never played an Ibanez with a wizard neck. The only guitar I've played for the past 5 years is a BC Rich Mockingbird, so anything skinnier than that would be super.
if a s470 is out of ur price range then look at the Ibanez 350MDX...
I've been doing a bit of research and apparently the guitar store here sells Schecter guitars. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll go give a few of 'em a try and maybe I'll buy one of those instead of ordering an Ibanez online.