well first I'd like to present myself, im juan im a metal lover... from colombia and subgeneres I like the most are speed/power metal, heavy , some death , and well ... rock , like deff leppard bon jovi . things like that
I also play the guitar ive got an esp ltd series AX 250 really nice one , and ive learned alone so far.... i know 0 theory, but im good playing, this days some guys watched me and they told me if i wanted to join a band and so i did... and they said i had to learn this songs

Kraken - muere libre
Warcry - Tu mismo
Helloween - I want out
Iron maiden - the trooper.

the point is , im good but i reach the point where i dont know what to practice or wich exercises do to develop more speed, try to gain more accuracy.. be better. and i know this forum has great musicians... all im asking is some tips, tabs, guitar pro files... with exercises or just advices, for me it would be a great help.. thanks
contact me to juan_r015@hotmail.com (msn) or max_rozo@hotmail.com ... thank you

(its my first post , perdon mi if i did anything wrong)
i wouldn't have given out my email addresses but i'm in the same sort of situation as you.
Quote by marsvoltaguy
i say both. you always have the option to not use the pedal at all but it will still be there like that obsessed chick you took to homecoming and never called again, sitting there waiting for your call. so yea both
If you want to play in a particular style, spend some time listening to that style and playing along with it.

Please if you have no theory knowledge at all, learn the major & minor pentatonic shapes (there's buckets of examples on here).

Again if you have no theory, you have ears. How do the guitarists approach the solos. How do they add tension & release feelings into them. When do they choose to slide a note, or bend it, or use the arm bar. Maiden for example don't choose to play pentatonics in up & down boxes. Very often they play a scale up or down the one string to change fret positions. Trooper is a good example of that.