Page 1 of 3
-INTRODUCTION-

So I've decided to rebuild an old Squier I got when I first started guitar. I will post pics and update you as much as I can as I go along.

This is kind of what the guitar looks like before I took it apart, but the body was in worse condition. (I forgot to take pics of it before i ripped that sucker apart).

AS OF SATURDAY, JANUARY 20th, I HAVE FINISHED MY GUITAR

SPECIAL THANKS TO ANTHONYG AND DOOKIE FOR THEIR SUPPORT. AND ALL OF YOU WHO GAVE ME THESE IDEAS.
I'll post more pics soon, and for sure there will be sound files of it.
And a few shots I just took of the neck:

Stuff to get:
X1 Mighty Might Maple Neck (Can't decide between rosewood & maple fretboard)
X1 Fender Hot Noiseless 3 Pickup Set
X1 Musicians Friend SSS Pickguard
X1 DiMarzio Switchcraft 1/4" Output Jack
X1 Fender Strat Knobs 1 Volume/2 Tone
X1 DiMarzio 5 Way Pickup Selector
X1 Fender Vintage Neck Plate
X1 Graphtech Nut

(More to come)

My goal is to see how beat up the body really is, if it is still in good condition I'm gonna go for a natural finish, or stain it. That way I would add aged bits and a tortoise pickguard. If the wood doesn't look so good I'll probably just give it a solid color maybe with some type of design on the body (something like a racing stripe from the bottom strap lock through the pickguard).
Last edited by XAkitAX at Jan 20, 2007,
dude leave the body right there just as is freshly sanded it looks awesome and would be original
'
Quote by Hotsaucelover
dude leave the body right there just as is freshly sanded it looks awesome and would be original
'

Hhahahhahahahahahahhahaha I sure hope you were joking...

Sand it all off man lol
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Glitter purple
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Unique colour eh?
Well you never see orange or purple guitars, maybe you could do something with orange AND purple, they seem to work well toghether.
Also good job so far.
And glitter

I WANT GLITTER
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
Quote by adrian_brown89
ROFL ok, orange + purple GLITTER. Haha. Thanks. I'm still working on the horns. Takes forever. Hopefully I will be able to leave it stained or like, a natural finish. Body looks good so far.
lol, my options for my custom strat are either bright orange or hot pink with black hardware, but it wont be a squire rebuild... and your wood doesn't have much of a grain, so stain would look poor imo, solid colour is the way to go unless you have a nice grain like on a good ash body.

"You're a MESS!"
Quote by liquidstate
lol, my options for my custom strat are either bright orange or hot pink with black hardware, but it wont be a squire rebuild... and your wood doesn't have much of a grain, so stain would look poor imo, solid colour is the way to go unless you have a nice grain like on a good ash body.

Yeah, I just got a lot more off, and I was looking at it, there is like NO grain at all. Now I have to decide on a color. So your doing a strat too?

EDIT: I just found a spot on the horn where they filled in a booboo with some wood filler. and that same horn is kinda dark a bit. No choice but to paint.
Last edited by XAkitAX at Jan 11, 2007,
Make it one of those shiny flip flop colours. The ones that go from green to purple (or copper brown to green, if you find that).

You can buy special paints for that. You need to have one base colour, and then spray this semi-transparent stuff over it which goes purple depending on the light angle.

Not sure how that would look on a strat, though. The pickguard might ruint the effect...
Thoes cost loads don't they?

Anyway I still stick with my Orange and Purple idea, you could have a really cool sort of 80s paint job with a jagged line of sliver separating one side of purple and one of orange, but thats very 80s :p
Quote by XAkitAX
ROFL ok, orange + purple GLITTER. Haha. Thanks. I'm still working on the horns. Takes forever. Hopefully I will be able to leave it stained or like, a natural finish. Body looks good so far.

orange + purple + yellow + blue + black has already been done so yea, do the glitter see Ippon's crash strat

Ok, so i was up most of the night sanding, and along the way I would find a lot of spots with wood filler in them. I got this guitar new, so it was Squier who did it lol.

Well anyways, I finished sanding everything, and the body doesn't look that bad. Just a couple things I need to do to it (fill some chips in, etc) and it should be fine.

Now I need to decide on colors, etc. If i want to go with a really unique style, tape job, or stain/natural finish type. Or a solid color. I'll have to mess around with different designs for a while. And I need to order the parts today. I'm surprised, nothing has gone wrong yet.
What kind of Spuire modle was that? The body doesnt actually look as bad as I would have expected from what everyone says about them.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
What kind of Spuire modle was that? The body doesnt actually look as bad as I would have expected from what everyone says about them.

Its an affinity one, so good body.

And how about doing a really retro one?
Like, purple orange, green, yellow, vibrant variations of those, and sort of do it with a segment of orange, a segment of bright yellow, etc.
Dude, looking great. What I think you should do for the paint job is paint the entire guitar purple, then make the racing stripe from the bottom strap button to where the neck conjoins in an orange color, with a black border.

Something like this:

Its very rough, but I did it in like....3 minutes
this pic above reminds me on tom delonge butt-ugly gibson (which i bought......)

do some diagonal stripes from the upper horn to the jack, looks great (did it on mine)

black and red would look great
Squier Standard Strat
Squier Jimmy Shine Sig
Ibanez ValveBee
Ibanez DS7
Behringer UC100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
How did you sand the horns and contours?
Leaders Of Men
IndieStore

-Gig Rig-
Fender MIM Strat (arctic white)
Boss ME-50
HH Performer 150.

-Practice Rig-
Squire Master Series Deluxe Thinline Telecaster. w/ Bill lawrence XL-500
Boss ME-50
Marshall MG15CDR
^lol usually with a lot of patience and eventually sore fingers, and mine will end up being custom built and will cost me over £500 im still getting parts sorted, and i still need to make more money... i hope by tape job you only mean masking, but if you are looking at those definately check out ippon's crash strats, and his p-bass plans...

"You're a MESS!"
Haha ok:

bassdrum: Nice illustration, thats a good design. I might use that, but it would be different colors. Black and red would be cool. Especially with a matte finish, but idk about a strat. Might look good, who knows. Keep loading me up with those ideas.

northy: I sanded the horns using a pole type thing, found at this page http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/sand.htm

That design is catchy bassdrum, I'm gonna draw out some designs and color combos when I get back, I'm gonna help my dad move stuff to storage, to earn money towards this beast.
The reason why I'm putting so much into it, is because its gonna be my primary guitar, the specs look better than the fender standards.
Give me some more ideas guys, this is really helping. I'm going to Lowes tonight to load up on paint and to get a new solder gun, etc. So load me up with ideas, haha thanks guys.

A natural finish and a stain maybe is what im shooting for. The stain should bring out the grain a bit more. I came across these when I was looking for designs. These are too plain though. That's where you all help me haha.

dont get a gun, they're too hot, get an iron, about 25w to 35w is about right. I still think you should go for paint rather than spray, the colour differences and lack of grain on your body would make the grain look un-even and it wouldn't look as good as the guitar could. I know what your saying though, that finish is the same as on my guitar, and i do like it a lot, but it needs the grain to set it off...

"You're a MESS!"
Quote by XAkitAX
Ok, so i was up most of the night sanding, and along the way I would find a lot of spots with wood filler in them. I got this guitar new, so it was Squier who did it lol.

Well anyways, I finished sanding everything, and the body doesn't look that bad. Just a couple things I need to do to it (fill some chips in, etc) and it should be fine.

Now I need to decide on colors, etc. If i want to go with a really unique style, tape job, or stain/natural finish type. Or a solid color. I'll have to mess around with different designs for a while. And I need to order the parts today. I'm surprised, nothing has gone wrong yet.

What sorta paint do you have to use?? and do you have to do anything before you apply it?? Because next week Im spraying a guitar and I dont have a clue where to start!???
Quote by liquidstate
dont get a gun, they're too hot, get an iron, about 25w to 35w is about right. I still think you should go for paint rather than spray, the colour differences and lack of grain on your body would make the grain look un-even and it wouldn't look as good as the guitar could. I know what your saying though, that finish is the same as on my guitar, and i do like it a lot, but it needs the grain to set it off...

Yeah thats true. This will be the first guitar I'm painting, so I don't know how good it will turn out. I really want a racing stripe on it though. One like the racing stripe here:

Obviously not those colors though. But the racing stripe is pretty intense lol.

And as for you False_God, you should google for painting tutorials, and the sticky of this section should have some useful info. Try this site: http://www.projectguitar.com/menu/tutorial.htm

How about black on white:

With different hardware combinations and stuff.
^I think that would look great, except with a more creamy white color to make it look sort of vintage.
How about:

I did that one before I saw your post. So if i did creamy white, should i do aged knobs or something? Oh... the possibilities =)

And with the maple neck:

Heres another that goes all the way through:

Don't leave it plain wood.. it's block section agathis that body.. but they put a nice alder laminate on either side to give the top and back a nice appearance... sorry, but solid colour is the way forward with squiers...

Oh and with that paint scheme XAkitAX, still follow what i told you about painting, just do the boy white first and leave it a few days to harden a little before u put on masking tape and spray the black, after a few coats of black (not too many else it'll be noticibly profiled above the white) sand is smooth and flat, then do your final clear coats and rubbing compound trick. There might be trouble tho as nitro cellulose remelts lower surfaces so it could 'run' your black and white... just something u might wanna think about...

As for you're pots, jacks and switches, there's no point buying ones labled 'di marzio' etc... it jsut bumps the price up... have a gander round warmoth and see what electronics they have...

i really think pearlesceant(sp?) would be the way to go, and it doesnt have to be that crappy purpley colour either you can customize it
Last edited by Oldmonkeys at Jan 11, 2007,
Quote by Dookie_1988
Don't leave it plain wood.. it's block section agathis that body.. but they put a nice alder laminate on either side to give the top and back a nice appearance... sorry, but solid colour is the way forward with squiers...

Oh and with that paint scheme XAkitAX, still follow what i told you about painting, just do the boy white first and leave it a few days to harden a little before u put on masking tape and spray the black, after a few coats of black (not too many else it'll be noticibly profiled above the white) sand is smooth and flat, then do your final clear coats and rubbing compound trick. There might be trouble tho as nitro cellulose remelts lower surfaces so it could 'run' your black and white... just something u might wanna think about...

As for you're pots, jacks and switches, there's no point buying ones labled 'di marzio' etc... it jsut bumps the price up... have a gander round warmoth and see what electronics they have...

I don't see anything that even looks like a laminate on that.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Dookie_1988

Okay, thanks. Whats the difference between 250K pot and 500k?? I read somewhere that 250K is better for single coils.
Page 1 of 3