There is a crocodile in the drains of my hometown, and i saw it happen!

Greetings, UG, I've come here to share my unique experience working with gigantic lizards!

A little bit of backstory: Where I am living now (Darwin/Australia), there is a zoo of sorts called Crocodylus Park. This zoo is famous for it's large crocs (the biggest being 6.3m). There are also many other animals here, like tigers, lions, monkeys, birds and other random wildlife. Other than just having the main park, there is a crocodile farm that isn't widely known about. It is here that I work with the crocodiles.

I currently volunteer at the farm, but also do a bit of work for the zoo as well. The particular thing that we're doing in the story is collecting crocs, assessing them, checking for scars and defects, and shiping them off to another state for them to be culled and skinned, and for the leather to be sold. And now to the main story.

Woke up bright and early after a night of smoking the reefer at 6:30am. I drank some coffee, got in the car with my mate Matty, and took off to the park at 7:30. As soon as we got there, we were told to put on some gloves and help with the crocs. So we put on some leather gardening gloves, and jumped onto a croc that some of the other wokers had pulled out. If the croc can see whn you're on top of it, it gets angry. Very angry. So we put our hands on it's head, over it's eyes, and push down very ****ing hard. This seems to calm them for some reason. After sitting there for a while, we were told to pick up the croc and put it on a table for assessment. Now, these bastards are heavy. 200+kg. We had 2 people carrying them. There is a certain way to hold the croc's head when you're carrying it, as they have a habit of flicking their head up an breaking your nose, so you have to put them in a headlock with one arm, and use the free hand to pull it's head towards your body, with the majority of your palm on it's head so it won't flick up.

After putting it on the table, it was measured. 2.75 metres. fair enough. Then we flipped it over. And at that point it decided to struggle.

I was holding it's head, and it could open it's jaws at any time, put when their jaws are being held closed, they can't manage that, for some reason. So I'm holding this bloody croc, a it's goig absolutely batshit, and it manages to get out of my grasp. And let me tell you this, these ****ers are STRONG. He lunged accross the table at the assessor, and bit down. Goodbye mister pinky finger! The assessor then ran, fast. At that point in time, I was shitting bricks. Solid gold bricks.

I was scared ****ing brickless.

But it wanted freedom, so fell off the table and ran, as fast as it could, into the drain, and we never saw it again.

After that little episode, we were all given a 1 hour break while the assesser who got attacked was taken to hospital to get fixed up. When it was time to work again, they pulled out the sedatives.

We then processed 150 crocs no troubles at all. Drugs do wonders to lizards.

But the moral of this story? Don't swim in Darwin. Ever.
Quote by wahappen
No doubt.

Race ya to the FOTB...

Go!

I play guitar.
when i first looked the title of the thread i thought it said"crocodile hunter in drain"..eww i was gunna ask what he looked like
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
why didnt u like tie its jaws closed.
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
i call bullshit.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
bravo.
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
^^ coz hes not the brightest crayon in the box

Thats was to jakester.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Jan 11, 2007,
when i first looked the title of the thread i thought it said"crocodile hunter in drain"..eww i was gunna ask what he looked like

lol steve irwin fakes his death and has been hiding out in the drain in darwin..lol
Quote by _-Skeletor-_
lol steve irwin fakes his death and has been hiding out in the drain in darwin..lol

lol i laughed out loud
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
The process was get the croc out of the cage, bring it to the table, measure, flip, then tape the mouth closed. This was the first croc out that day. They couldn't find the sedatives to start with, and the zapper (a glorified cattle prod that stuns the crocs) wasn't working.
Quote by wahappen
No doubt.

Race ya to the FOTB...

Go!

I play guitar.
Quote by baddewd
The process was get the croc out of the cage, bring it to the table, measure, flip, then tape the mouth closed. This was the first croc out that day. They couldn't find the sedatives to start with, and the zapper (a glorified cattle prod that stuns the crocs) wasn't working.

So naturally it would be smart to try it anyway??

I LOVE KENSAI
You're right, but I wasn't running the show. I was a volunteer. Helps if you read my post first .

There were people there getting paid for it.
Quote by wahappen
No doubt.

Race ya to the FOTB...

Go!

I play guitar.
Lol but i know where your coming from , when i went on my holiday to NT were got to help restrain a croc for some reason , There so strong , and this was only like a 2 metre one , and i just had to push its eyes down(REALLY hard , dont know how it doesnt hurt it)

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by _-Skeletor-_

yeah they found tupac also
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
Haha, yeah, they're weird animals... they enjoy having their eyes pushed down. hey don't lke people sitting on them though, they growl.
Quote by wahappen
No doubt.

Race ya to the FOTB...

Go!

I play guitar.
Quote by king_O_dudes
yeah they found tupac also

And Kurt Cobain, rumour has it, Hendrix is down there too.
So hang on, why are you shitting up the thread?
Quote by wahappen
No doubt.

Race ya to the FOTB...

Go!

I play guitar.
yeah i'm callin the bullshit card
if at first you dont succeed....FAILURE MUST BE YOUR STYLE