ok, here is a question for all you tone experts ..Lots of times i hear someone say, " great amp, but i really would change the tubes, they were to bassy " or " the speakers in the amp were shit " well, How do you KNOW it's the Speakers/tubes that sound bad and not the actual amplifier?

haha... it's a pretty messed up question but i'm sure you get my point

Peter
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
good question.

if the tubes or speaker are generic no-name then i could say that such and such sucks but if i got an amp with quality tubes and speakers but didnt like the tone myself i would know how tpo attribute it to either of those solely.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

You really have to hear it with different speakers or amps.

but sometimes an amp does have crap speakers or tubes no matter what, so they would be holding it back.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
You really have to hear it with different speakers or amps.

but sometimes an amp does have crap speakers or tubes no matter what, so they would be holding it back.

Oh ok so even if you're expert you can't really tell we're the tone is coming from? for exemple, you've just got a new amp but realise it's really trebly, would a tone snob figure out if it were a tube or a speaker problem just by hearing it right on the spot?
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
Quote by angus69
Oh ok so even if you're expert you can't really tell we're the tone is coming from? for exemple, you've just got a new amp but realise it's really trebly, would a tone snob figure out if it were a tube or a speaker problem just by hearing it right on the spot?

id doubt it. they might say they can but thats the deluded mind of a tone snob.

the best you can do is:
if the amp is too trebely,read up on some speakers/tubes that you can replace with and put em in if they are said to give less treble and so on.

also a simple thing to remedy too much treble or bass in an amp would be to replace a cap here and there.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Sometimes you know if a set of tubes is shot, or if the speaker is damaged, but I assumed you meant the amp was in perfect condition.

It's a bit more complicated than hearing an amp and thinking "this would sound better with a different speaker." It's almost never the fault of one component.

If you've played enough amps you'll know what speakers sound bad, so you might be able deduce that the same amp wit ha different speaker would sound bassy. Just play all the amps you can, read up on their specs, and you'll find what you like.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by angus69
ok, here is a question for all you tone experts ..Lots of times i hear someone say, " great amp, but i really would change the tubes, they were to bassy " or " the speakers in the amp were shit " well, How do you KNOW it's the Speakers/tubes that sound bad and not the actual amplifier?

haha... it's a pretty messed up question but i'm sure you get my point

Peter

How do I know? Experience. Unless there's a particular problem with a particular amp, I can give you an idea how to address problems with amps I have experience with. For example, B-52 AT series. Good amps that sound better with a swap to good tubes. How do I know? I did it. Another example, Fender Pro Jr. Good amp, sounds way better with a better speaker. How do I know? I did it.

If you don't trust the answers from people here then either do your own research or pay an amp tech to figure it out.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
How do I know? Experience. Unless there's a particular problem with a particular amp, I can give you an idea how to address problems with amps I have experience with. For example, B-52 AT series. Good amps that sound better with a swap to good tubes. How do I know? I did it. Another example, Fender Pro Jr. Good amp, sounds way better with a better speaker. How do I know? I did it.

If you don't trust the answers from people here then either do your own research or pay an amp tech to figure it out.

You my friend have not understood a shit of what i am asking

As for buzz and the other guy, thank you for the replies, that's what i was thinking too
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
I know the speaker in my Vox AD30VT sucks because it makes farting sounds when it's clean and I'm strumming open chords. Sometimes problems are just that apparent.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I know the speaker in my Vox AD30VT sucks because it makes farting sounds when it's clean and I'm strumming open chords. Sometimes problems are just that apparent.

Ok, but that's an actual problem, even i can tell that my tube's are blown, but what i was trying to say is that sometimes it seems that people can tell how tubes sound just from hearing them on one amp, not like changing them to different amps, how can you state that those tubes are smooth if you've only played them once in one amp?

I know, I'm totally ****ed up....
I like straberry pie

don't you?

camgirls.uk
^ You can't tell anything after playing one amp. No one said you could, stop being so pedantic.

You have to try out lots of amps. In the end you'll find out what different tube types/ tube brands/ speaker types/ whatever sounds like, and you'll know if that causes some bad tone.