I picked up a cheap acoustic at a pawn shop the other day, and I'm wondering
1) How can I tell which kind of wood it is made of?
2) How can I tell if it has a solid or laminated top?
The last one is probably pretty easy to awnser but since I'm rather new to acoustic (i've only been playing classical and electric) I'm not quite sure what the difference between the two is, and search didn't really give me any usefull results

If it is nescasary I'll make some pictures of the wood if my first question can't be awnsered otherwise. Thanks in advance!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
What brand is it bro?
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
As far as determing whether it has a solid top or not, if u look in the soundhole at the edge of the soundboard u may be able to see the layers if it is indeed a laminate top.
The only way to be certain about both of those things, however, is to look up the specifications of the guitar. U should be able to find the specs on the company's website.
yeah what model and brand is the guitar? if you aren't sure or can't find the specs anywhere, post some pictures and we can at least tell you what kind of wood it is.
It's an XP AG100 (it's in my sig too, but you might not have guessed it was an acoustic guitar. Sounds more like a pedal or something) There is very little to be found about XP guitars online. (I already did a search before posting this thread). I'll take some pictures of the wood tomorrow if I have time.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

The top looks like its a laminate...the grain leads me to believe that it is just a piece of veneer, i've never seen a solid top have a grain patter like that.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
solid tops tend to resonate more and sustain longer thus making them sound better
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Dude, I did a bit of research for you, and the main trouble I encountered was the fact that the name is XP and my searches were pulling a lot of Windows XP results.

Anyway, I encountered several "French" websites, and got Google to translate them back to English.

From what I understand, they are made in China, and retail for 150 Euros. Click the link below and you will get some reviews. Remember, they were originally in French, and have been translated to English, so the wording will be a bit back to front.

XP Guitars

EDIT

Guys, its very hard to tell if it is laminated by the pic he posted. You are merely guessing, at best. The only way to tell is to view it "in person" by looking at the edge of the sound hole. Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean its laminated. A lot of the Chinese guitars have solid Spruce tops. You should know that. (although it isn't AAA Quality) (no offense intended)

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

Last edited by DJaye at Jan 13, 2007,
I think it's a laminated top, when I look at the edge of the soundhole very closely I can see three layers of wood that each have a slightly different colour to them. I only payed 50 euro for this guitar (even though it was at a pawn-shop-ish shop it wasn't second hand, they just bought a whole bunch of these guitars at a very low price). What supprised me when trying it out is that it sounds pretty good for a cheap guitar (that's why I was looking into the wood, thinking it might be medium-quality wood in stead of really cheap stuff). After some adjustments the action is also pretty decent. Not really low but still quite playable.

Thanks for your search DJaye, I've tried some creative googeling myself but hadn't found all that much, not even on french websites. So thanks!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Yeah, most ply wood (laminated) have 3 layers, they sandwich it with the 3 grains going in opposite directions for strength etc.

They seem like good little guitars. I would suggest you put some good strings on her, that can make the world of difference.

Elixirs are my personal favorites. They are popular with pros, and most of the Top End guitar companies put Elixirs on them at the factory. (Taylor, Maton, Alvarez, Cole Clark and tonnes more). They have a patented Teflon coating, which reduces friction and barre chord squeaks.

But, yeah, sounds like you got yourself a good deal. Have fun !

Quote by DJaye

Elixirs are my personal favorites. They are popular with pros, and most of the Top End guitar companies put Elixirs on them at the factory. (Taylor, Maton, Alvarez, Cole Clark and tonnes more). They have a patented Teflon coating, which reduces friction and barre chord squeaks.

Going to have to correct you on that one.
Cole Clark currently come out of factory with D'Addario on them
http://www.coleclarkguitars.com/faq.asp

Also the D'Addario website says so.

But From what I have seen most of the big brands come factory strung with either Elixirs (eg i know for sure Maton comes with them) or D'Addario's (eg Cole Clark).

Most of the guitars that come with D'Addario's come with the EXP (extended play) strings so that they last for longer in the shop. But when it comes down to it, I don't find that the EXPs last a significantly long enough time more than the standard models to justify the extra cost. But I do play a lot, and when I Played less as a beginner the EXPs were good.

Definatly try both Elixirs and D'Addario's if you havent tried both. I personally like the D'Addario's better. But i do plan on grabbing myself some Elixirs when i get home in a couple of weeks just to see if i have changed my mind.

EDIT:
DJaye, you have a lot of patience, looking through all that XP stuff and then translating it. Thats the sort of thing i would have given up tryingto find on Google, and coming and asking on some guitar forum eg, this one lol.
Last edited by johnos at Jan 13, 2007,
Yeah I'm seriously thinking about getting elxiers for her. I also use elixers on my electric guitar, Because non-coated strings get old really really really fast, has something to do with my sweat probably. Non-coated strings already show the first signs of getting old (little discolouration at certain points am stuff like that) after two afternoons of playing!

Anyway, thanks for all the replies everyone!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3