last night i moved the forward strap button on my ibanez rg to the back of the guitar near the neck plate. while this has increased my reach tremendously with standing and playing, it has made my guitar incredibly neck heavy (which i predicted). would using weighted tape or some other kind of weights on the back of my axe be a good idea? i really don't care how heavy it ends up being as long as it balances out a little better...any ideas?
I dont see why that wouldnt be a good idea. I dont reallt think it will do much to help though, just because of the physics behind it.
Quote by FlyingVShredder
last night i moved the forward strap button on my ibanez rg to the back of the guitar near the neck plate. while this has increased my reach tremendously with standing and playing, it has made my guitar incredibly neck heavy (which i predicted). would using weighted tape or some other kind of weights on the back of my axe be a good idea? i really don't care how heavy it ends up being as long as it balances out a little better...any ideas?

When I first got my firebird the neck heavyness pissed me off to no end. But after a few weeks you get used to it. I really don't mind at all anymore.

However, I always thought it would be effective to open one of the back cavitites and put something heavy in there (like a rock, or some lead weights from a hobby shop)

I'm not quite sure what weighted tape is, but it probably isn't heavy enough to balance out your guitar.

Hope that helps
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
yeah thanks...see this is ridiculously neck heavy, to the point where your palm HAS to be on the neck at al times. this basically means that it's a lot better for rhythm now but tough for solos
The weighted tape will do little if anything, the ballance if the guitar is determined by the position of the strap buttons in relation to the center of gravity of the guitar. By putting weighted tape on the back end of the guitar or near the rear strap button would (in theory)change the center of gravity, but you would have to add pounds of it to have any measurable result. The best solution is to move the strap button out closer to the neck, or back onto the foreward part of the body, where it was (if the buttons are set up like a fender strat). Otherwise, i hate to tell you, but it's a trade off, you can either have better reach, or better ballance, but not both. Also, to agree with Hamish, i play a BC Rich Virgo, which is INSANELY neck heavy (it's balanced like an explorer) and it was very weird to me at first, but i got used to it fast.
prolly wouldnt help much cuz the neck of it has more leverage unless you had ALOT of wieght on the rear of the guitar....
UG's HIPPIE