Hi, I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez Tube Screamer and was wondering if anyone can comment on them?

Are they useful for both bedroom and gigging volumes?

Is it worth getting the TS9 or TS9DX (or other)?

I have an Engl Savage (valve amplifier) so I'm assuming it should suit that?

As for tone, I'd be looking for a sound between Iron Maiden and Iced Earth/Dream Evil in 'heaviness'.
The sound is good but (my friend has one so no futher experiences) it's quite hard to push the pedal and it makes some nasty, screaming noise...

I found it pretty annoying
the noises wont happen if you run it through clean tone
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
Yeah, it should work for you as a boost for solos and stuff. Maybe you could use it for a rhythm tone but it would work best for solos if you use it on the drive channels
By boost do you also mean volume as well as gain?

Is it possible to increase the distortion on the pedal without increasing the volume?
just out of interest, why can't the engl get those tones on its own? or is this just for a solo boost?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, i can get a good tone, i was just after a bit of variation and some extra distortion for the times when i really want it Only thing missing from the Savage is some reverb i think, so i might get a reverb pedal before i get a tube screamer.
I have the 808 and love it. I put it over the dirty channel for a solo boost and it adds a little bit more gain, a little bit of volume, and takes a little of the high end off.
Quote by toptone78
Yeah, i can get a good tone, i was just after a bit of variation and some extra distortion for the times when i really want it Only thing missing from the Savage is some reverb i think, so i might get a reverb pedal before i get a tube screamer.

ok, cool.

My guess is to just try as many OD pedals as you can (with your amp, if at all possible) and buy the one you like best.

Best bet, assuming you're in the EU, is to order one, because then you can send it back if you don't like it within 7 days (assuming you don't get to try the pedal with your amp).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd recommend a Maxon OD-9 over a Tube Screamer. I've tried them both through my Engl Screamer and the Maxon seems to have a better tone. Although you may have a different experiance with your Savage. Don't be afraid (if you can) to take your amp to a guitar shop and try out all their pedals.
Quote by Dimebag_abbott
the noises wont happen if you run it through clean tone

No not the sound through the ampflifier... the screamy, noisy sound is produced by the pedal itself... it's a bit stuck so it makes some nasty noises when you push or pull the pedal...
Quote by Dave_Mc
ok, cool.

My guess is to just try as many OD pedals as you can (with your amp, if at all possible) and buy the one you like best.

Best bet, assuming you're in the EU, is to order one, because then you can send it back if you don't like it within 7 days (assuming you don't get to try the pedal with your amp).

Doesn't that only apply to un-opened products and involve loss of postage costs?

Quote by Pigsnacks
I'd recommend a Maxon OD-9 over a Tube Screamer. I've tried them both through my Engl Screamer and the Maxon seems to have a better tone. Although you may have a different experiance with your Savage. Don't be afraid (if you can) to take your amp to a guitar shop and try out all their pedals.

No can do, i'm not He-Man and i haven't got a car
^ in the EU, far as I'm aware, if you order something you haven't tried, you have 7 days to return it if you don't like it. Doesn't apply to stuff like software, but applies to guitars, pedals, amps etc. it has to be mint condition, but certainly not "unopened" (though you'd need to save all the packaging).

It will result in lost postage, yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
right now my favorite tubescreamer pedal is the maxon od808
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit