Page 1 of 2
...doesn't have a signature strat guitar? He is one of (if not, THE) most influential guitarist of the 20th century, and he used Strats onstage most of the time.

He has a signature V, but I heard he hardly ever used that one live.

Almost everyone famous gets a sig model. Even people who were happy with stock models get a custom shop one.

Was there ever a Hendrix strat? If no, then why isn't there one now? It only seems logical that there should be one.

Discuss
They'd be left handed. Compared to right handed people there isn't many left handers.

A right handed jimi signature wouldn't be right.
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (for sale)
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Is that the only reason? Zacky Vengance is left handed. Kurt Cobain was, too. They both got sig models.

Couldn't you make a left-handed strat with the strings on the other way 'round for the authentic Hendrix feel?
^ That's what they did. It was a left-handed vintage-ized Strat flipped over for righties.
Hi, I'm Peter
AND....

Lots of great musiscians of today are also quite commercial... selling signature models, picks and etc.
Jimi Hendrix didn't had this... he just played his music and was just in love with the stage, his guitar and the music... He didn't want much money in the first place... so he never made plans for his signature guitar/amp/picks etc...
didn't hendrix just use right handed guitars and turn them upsidedown anyway? and this will prob make me some enemies but rapping can be apreciated if you take the time to listen.
ive heard of something called i think a voodoo strat, and it just had the headstock reversed,and i think john mayer had one.

www.strippedmusic.com

link^

click on john mayer and then his cover of bold as love
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Quote by *chief*
didn't hendrix just use right handed guitars and turn them upsidedown anyway? and this will prob make me some enemies but rapping can be apreciated if you take the time to listen.

I think he also restrung it upside down also.
Quote by fragydig529
I think he also restrung it upside down also.

Yeah, he re-strung it. A Jimi sig. guitar would be cool, but it'd only be right it was a left hander flipped and re-string for right hand players, and the Jimi way - a right hander restrung for a left handed.
There have been 3 that I know off...

The Hendrix Moterey Pop Strat

The Hendrix Woodstock Tribute Strat

The Hendrix Voodoo Strat

The Moterey Pop Strat is very rare and very expensive. John Mayer has at least one, and so does Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Only 210 of these were built, and I've seen the prices for this one hovering around $18,000.

The Hendrix Woodstock Tribute Strat is fairly rare. I don't know the exact numbers for the production run. Also, there were 4 exact replicas built of the actual Woodstock guitar. I think the Experience Music Project owns all of them. Prices for the 1997 production run are around $2000. Coolest part about this guitar...besides being basically a lefty guitar setup for right handed play, the logo decal is mirrored (flipped backwards).

The Hendrix Voodoo strat is the most affordable of the bunch with market prices around $700. This guitar is a basic righty with the headstock flipped and the bridge pickup slanted in the opposite direction.

One of the lesser-known guitars...

Fender Custom Shop "Purple Haze" Strat (only 32 were produced)

This guitar sports a purple sparkle finish and a reverse headstock. It was a very limited custom shop run, so I don't really know any more information about it. Good luck on finding one.
Whenever I see anyone playing a guitar strung upside down, whether it's left or right handed, I always think "Hendrix wannabe". It was "his" thing, and anyone else doing just looks stupid. The same with people playing upside down without restringing like Dick Dale or Albert King.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Whenever I see anyone playing a guitar strung upside down, whether it's left or right handed, I always think "Hendrix wannabe". It was "his" thing, and anyone else doing just looks stupid. The same with people playing upside down without restringing like Dick Dale or Albert King.

Uh....you badmouthing Albert King and Dick Dale there, or just people that happen to pick up the guitar and play it the way they feel most comfortable?

So a left handed player grabs a right handed instrument and it feels comfortable to them...these people are suddenly trying to be Hendrix or Albert King?
^ Not to mention that Dick Dale was really hXc and played it without reversing the strings.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by JvL
AND....

Lots of great musiscians of today are also quite commercial... selling signature models, picks and etc.
Jimi Hendrix didn't had this... he just played his music and was just in love with the stage, his guitar and the music... He didn't want much money in the first place... so he never made plans for his signature guitar/amp/picks etc...

Firstly: Back when Hendrix was alive virtually no-one had signature guitars.

Secondly: Fender did build Hendrix personal Strat; it was called the Walnut Strat, had an all-rosewood one-piece neck (and some other stuff, I forget what. Something involving Walnut, no doubt). Anyway, Fender never actually presented Jimi with his guitar, and only two were ever built, the presentation one, which remains unaccounted for, and a prototype for a line that never went into production. (Years later there was a production Walnut Strat, but it wasn't the same as Jimi's model.

So there you are.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey

Secondly: Fender did build Hendrix personal Strat; it was called the Walnut Strat, had an all-rosewood one-piece neck (and some other stuff, I forget what. Something involving Walnut, no doubt). Anyway, Fender never actually presented Jimi with his guitar, and only two were ever built, the presentation one, which remains unaccounted for, and a prototype for a line that never went into production. (Years later there was a production Walnut Strat, but it wasn't the same as Jimi's model.

So there you are.

Where'd you get this info?
Quote by *chief*

Wtf does that have to do with anything here?
Quote by Strat_Monkey

So there you are.

George Harrison was given one of those with the solid rosewood neck and he played it extensively during the Let It Be sessions. I bet they're the same batch.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by TwoString
There have been 3 that I know off...

The Hendrix Moterey Pop Strat

The Hendrix Woodstock Tribute Strat

The Hendrix Voodoo Strat

The Moterey Pop Strat is very rare and very expensive. John Mayer has at least one, and so does Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Only 210 of these were built, and I've seen the prices for this one hovering around $18,000.

The Hendrix Woodstock Tribute Strat is fairly rare. I don't know the exact numbers for the production run. Also, there were 4 exact replicas built of the actual Woodstock guitar. I think the Experience Music Project owns all of them. Prices for the 1997 production run are around $2000. Coolest part about this guitar...besides being basically a lefty guitar setup for right handed play, the logo decal is mirrored (flipped backwards).

The Hendrix Voodoo strat is the most affordable of the bunch with market prices around $700. This guitar is a basic righty with the headstock flipped and the bridge pickup slanted in the opposite direction.

One of the lesser-known guitars...

Fender Custom Shop "Purple Haze" Strat (only 32 were produced)

This guitar sports a purple sparkle finish and a reverse headstock. It was a very limited custom shop run, so I don't really know any more information about it. Good luck on finding one.

That's retarded how they flipped the logo so it's right side up. Lame.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by sashki

He has a signature V, but I heard he hardly ever used that one live.

YAY i have played HIS flying v ... but couldn't actually play it cos of the left handedness . that was a ****ing awesome day
POST FINDER
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
That's retarded how they flipped the logo so it's right side up. Lame.

Yeah, I have to agree, although I really like the mirrored logo...reminds me of some of the D1 cars in Japan
Instead of asking why Jimi didn'thave a sig model, why not ask, why synyster deserved a sig model.
Sig model doesn't seem to be that important, most guitarists do it for commercial purposes and it's like a gimmick.
I think people are missing the most basic point. Sig guitars are made when a FINANCIAL agreement is reached between the manufacturer and the artist(or, in the case of the deceased, their estate). No agreement, no signature series, quite simple. Also, signature guitars have nothing to do with ability, but salability.

P.S. - technically speaking, any "Jimi Hendrix" guitar would be a tribute, not a signature model, as no matter how good Hendrix was, even he can't come back from the dead to sign his name.
To whoever thinks that flipping a guitar upside down makes you a Hendrix wannabe, consider this: flipping a strat upside down does a lot more than change the look, it changes the feel of the neck, the placement of the controls and the orientation of the pickups, and string tension. Many, including Jimi, and me, like where everything falls into place when you flip and restring a strat. The controls become conveniently placed (especially the whammy bar- SRV installed a lefty tremolo in his strat for the same reason) and you get a rather different sound, especially from the bridge pickup.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Alot of people with signature guitars dont use them (Angus Young, Jimmy Page), but some of them live by them (Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert)
yeah, i think it would be cool to have a cheaper hendrix tribute guitar, but it would be hard since he was a lefty, so they would have to make a right-handed version for the majority of guitar players.
also...where in the world did that rap thing come from? that was out of nowhere.
and saying that a person who plays left handed is like saying a person who plays a SG is an Angus Young wannabe, that's just retarded.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Quote by lefty_strat_str
P.S. - technically speaking, any "Jimi Hendrix" guitar would be a tribute, not a signature model, as no matter how good Hendrix was, even he can't come back from the dead to sign his name.

Not only that, but Hendrix didn't have ONE guitar that he kept playing. He played MANY different Strats, and often gave them away after one or two shows.
He's just known for certain styles of Strats because those are ones he played at huge events.
When he first started out, I believe he played Keith Richards' guitar.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Quote by timi_hendrix

says the guy named timi hendrix...
Just spotted this one today...doesn't really do anything to solve the upper-fret access issue of a flipped strat, but it does take care of the control layout. It's interesting anyway...

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS1474&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=2&subMenuItem2=0

As far as Hendrix and his guitars, the man played Gibsons as well, and there's no greater joy than seeing Hendrix on acoustic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XMXN9zMwfHk
Quote by LewisCr125
They'd be left handed. Compared to right handed people there isn't many left handers.

A right handed jimi signature wouldn't be right.

Hendrix played a Right handed guitar. Youtube it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, but he played a right-handed guitar left handed.
That guy was saying it wouldn't really be a Hendrix Strat because the market would call for a Left handed Strat strung for a right handed person. Doesn't really make sense.

I guess I kinda follow that. That would be extremely difficult to play though.
Page 1 of 2