what is the best wood to use for a guitar. ik agathis sucks. i have no price range, just wondering what you guys think is best
(signature removed, please choose another)
i have an agathis guitar and i dont really have a problem with it, but i guess Mahogany is the best. or Ceder ,if your making an acoustic guitar perhaps.
The best wood for making guitars is hard wood.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^he means species.

i believe there is a wood thread that you can consyult on the tonal qualities of each wood.

i happen to like alder, ash, mahogany, maple, all the normal woods. i have heard that korina is great, and agathis is not so bad, i think the mockingbird from BC Rich is agathis, and it is totally sweet.

Maple is good for necks and tops, but not whole guitars. ash, alder, and mahogany bodies, and mahogany makes a good neck. rosewood is the industry standard for fingerboards, although ebony and maple produce good tone too.

don't use pine for electric guitars.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
OK, different woods create different tones. First you need a hardwood, with long tight grains. now i could go on about woods and combinations but like forsaknazrael said http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm is a great site and i would just make those simple words oh som complex, use that site.

Silvik a wood guy
if your up for experimenting, try Korina, or Walnut, both great woods
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
its all subjective, so its impossible to find one best
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Question. Why do you have TWO Marshall MGs and TWO Dinkeys?
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
does anyone know if you can use red gum? its a really hard wood, very solid with a beautiful colour to it, almost like rosewood.
i havent seen anyone talk about it with guitars before
is there people that use it?
mahogany and alder are the most common woods, there in order warm and bright. basswood is in the middle.

oh and rosewood would be too heavy, mahogany is a heavy one too
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
there is no "best" wood, and people should really stop bad-mouthing agathisetc, itsnot a "bad" tonewood, the only difference is its cheap and readily available, its no "worse" than alder, basswood, or mahogany, theres just more of it and less demand, making it cheaper and so less appealling to wood snobs

"You're a MESS!"
agathis is worse than alder, it is even worse that basswood, don't say stuff if you haven't tried out.
it have played a lot of em and alder sounds considerably better than basswood wich is just a bit warmer.
i've tried a couple of guitars with agathis and all sounded as crap as the other,
it does indeed have to do something with the pickups wich are most of the time crap as well. cause agathis is usually used on low end cheap ass butt guitars,
but as an example an alder squire sounds better than an agathis one.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jan 12, 2007,
to you maybe, but its a very subjective thing, tone. and who was saying woods they havent tried?

"You're a MESS!"
^^I told you so, i am the proud owner of not just one but two ears and a handy device
that comprehends the sounds that they pick up. if you can't hear the difference between alder and agathis you should at least check both of the aforementioned objects, maybe more.

^and i have also got a basswood guitar and yes i like it. the only thing wrong with basswood is that it dents easy. a clear finish is also not a good idea, can get a bit greeny.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jan 12, 2007,
Well as people are saying its all preferance, and you have to hope that you get lucky with the wood because every piece of wood will sound different, that is untill the start growing artifical geneticly modified trees, but untill that day every peice of timber is different.

Look at the site i mentioned earlier, and then make a disision based on that, then if you want to be completly different, why wuild with wood. 1973 a granite-bodied guitar was submitted to fenders research department. why would you even consider this option unless you built a special stand for it, well you would have near endless sustain as none of the strings vibrations are absorbed into the wood. great deal. but i digress and only wanted to prove a point, and that is its all preferance and there is no true best anything, so think outside the box.
maple is good, one of my favorites, but it's heavy.

also- the biggest tone freak ever's signature guitars are made from basswood. it can't be bad.

and algee always says agathis is a good tonewood; you just never hear it in high end guitars, so you don't realize how good it actually is.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
and algee always says agathis is a good tonewood; you just never hear it in high end guitars, so you don't realize how good it actually is.

I say that too. Agathis is cheap so they use it on cheap guitars that sound like crap. People think its the agathis that makes the guitar sound bad but usually it's the pickups, tuners, neck joint, and setup that kill the tone.

Tone is all subjective. There is no such thing as "the best" but some things are better for some types of music than others.

Mahogany is dark sounding and has lots of sustain which makes it good for metal but not good for shred because the sustain can make things muddy when you are playing super fast. So shredders tend to go for basswood. Your classic fender folk like Alder because it's got that vintage sound and it's bright. Swamp ash is popular for the all around guitarist.

Then you have maple. Flamed and quilted maple are more expensive but bad for tone. figured wood kills tone but because it's looks good people want it anyway.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Generalpwnt
Question. Why do you have TWO Marshall MGs and TWO Dinkeys?

statement. kiss my ass, what do you play?
^but i will level with you, the dkmg sucks compleatly and the 30 watt MG is a piece too. i love the other dinky and 100 MG and **** you if you think you can bad mouth my "tone" when you have never even herd me play. 70% of tone is the guy on guitar, the other 30% comes from the thickness of his wallet....mine isnt that thick....because im 15. AND im content with my equiptment.
well for the money you spent on all of those, you could get something decent, and its more than i've spent, but still, you dont need to over-react like that, 15? you sound like a child...

EDIT:
Quote by FretboardToAsh
^^I told you so, i am the proud owner of not just one but two ears and a handy device
that comprehends the sounds that they pick up. if you can't hear the difference between alder and agathis you should at least check both of the aforementioned objects, maybe more.

^and i have also got a basswood guitar and yes i like it. the only thing wrong with basswood is that it dents easy. a clear finish is also not a good idea, can get a bit greeny.

was he talking to me there? that makes no sense, also contradicts what he said 2 posts before about basswood being poor.... nvm

i didn't say they were similar at all, i just said they were just as good as each other

"You're a MESS!"
Last edited by liquidstate at Jan 14, 2007,
Quote by liquidstate
well for the money you spent on all of those, you could get something decent, and its more than i've spent, but still, you dont need to over-react like that, 15? you sound like a child...

EDIT:
was he talking to me there? that makes no sense, also contradicts what he said 2 posts before about basswood being poor.... nvm

i didn't say they were similar at all, i just said they were just as good as each other

**** off. why do people care about my equiptment so fukin much and my equiptment kicks ass. what do you use? i dont want to argue.
stop fighting or i'll call the mods.

and i hope that you all will realize that there is no best wood. if you stated the style you play and the sound you want then we could suggest a best wood. in the meantime, folks like cord will tell you what you could find just by running a search. so in conclusion any wood is good for a particular style. example: plywood is good for emo, because it is hard to get sustain. that being said, i have a plywood halfsize guitar with better sustain than most guitars.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Actually, pine is a good tonewood.
It's just soft as margarine that you've left on your kitchen bench for a week.

But seriously, go to the ONLY Tonewood Thread by LP addict.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
wow necro bump

and expensive wood = cuban and brazilian mahogany.

*reported for close*

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man