Hi, i've been thinking a lot lately about buying a bass. Is the Ibanez GSR200 a good bet considering my budget is of about 175$ (US) or could I get something better for that price?

thanks
I have got the GSR200 Ibanez Bass and i am very pleased with it. I got it in the black and the sound is perfect. I had to change the pickup height though because i found their was a slight annoying buzz. But it has disappeared Now. It looks sweet aswell all my friends are like Woow let me lick ur bass and twisle the knobs n wotknot :P
I have one and love it. I've been using it now for around 2 or 3 years.

UtBDan did an excellent review of one here. http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/ibanez/gsr_200/index.html

I've never had any technical problems with mine such as the bridge crapping out like UtB's did.
They go for around $205. You may also want to try out the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Precision, though those should be $75 more expensive. Ibanez also makes the SR300DX. I've never tried it out, though it is reasonably priced and a possible for an introductory instrument at $280. Again, I've only tried the GSR200 out of these and love them all, but the others may be a step up, I'd try them out and read reviews on them (although reviews are often highly biased as people may rationalize making a purchase to themselves). Ask opinions of the people who work at your music store also.
Last edited by Crankymonky at Jan 11, 2007,
Also, try out the Yamaha RBX175, that is a really really good bass for the price. I started on one and still pick it up occasionally
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I own one

It has a few problems (loose knobs, some buzzing through the amp) but I can get rid off them and I think it sounds nice

I'd say its good for its price
Anyone know anything about the EDB Series, while we're talking about Ibanez?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
GSR200s are great beginners basses. Once I got my fretless 5, I tuned my GSR200 (still fretted) to BEAD with a heavier set of strings - the neck is holding up and the B is pretty nice considering the 34" scale with string-thru-bridge setup.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps