Hey. I have a problem. I'm losing my motivation to play guitar. I'm falling out of love with it.

It could be due to several reasons. I mean, at the moment, i'm doing my A-Levels, so i don't have as much time to play if i want to do well enough to do a course in medicine (which is what i'm aiming for).

Another reason might be how many different types of music i've listened to in the past year. I feel i've really opened my mind up musically, i've started listening to industrial, classical, techno, jazz and virtuoso's like Vai and Satch, as oppose to metal and rock like i did a year ago.

I'm in several bands, but i'm noticing that come practice, not one bit of my heart is really into my playing, and i'm beginning to realise that when i'm practicing at home.

So, any suggestions to how i can become more motivated again and find some inspiration?

Cheers
Whenever I'm frustrated I just go back and remember what made me start playing guitar, and why I still play. I suppose you could just try new material, or play songs that you really enjoy that would get you into the mood to play or whatnot. Worst case scenario is that you just take a break for a bit until you feel like you are ready to play again.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Have you had any sex in the past months ?
Looking for a new sig!
learn every song you kno part of, i kno 100s of songs that i only kno the intro, main rifff, or solo to. Go and learn the rest of them.
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
start singing?

i dunno, i was right into guitar, but ever since i started singing in my band ive noticed that i really only use my guitar to write songs and throw around on stage.

i could not imagine playing in a band and just play guitar..... its like "alrite this riff is about done, time to go into the next part, but what comes next? another riff.. o boy"
Or try to gig with one of your bands, that will make you happy.
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by MidnightSun
learn every song you kno part of, i kno 100s of songs that i only kno the intro, main rifff, or solo to. Go and learn the rest of them.

I've learned a lot of songs like that, but only because i lost interrest in learning the entire song, so i only learned a bit of them :P

I would sing, butr i can't sing well, at all lol.

And i haven't had sex in two months

Any other ideas?
Remembering why you started is good, at least with me it works, it helps if there are deeper reasons to why you do things.
The reason i started playing guitar (started 2 years ago) was because my best mate played it lol. I thought ''woah, that looks cool'', so i got one.

Thing is, we aren't best mates anymore lol. Any other ideas?
I would just take a break, not long though, maybe a week at most. Or remember the reason you started playing as stated above.
I might take a break. Thing is, i'm scared i won't start up again, and i've got gigs to play too.

I might take up another instrument like piano...hmmm...
Play over the Stereo, try to make a bad song sound better. Put a guitar part behind a pop song if you want. Mess with pedal effects, find your sound. Maste different guitar toys and innovations and skills like Whammy bars, killswitches, slides, capos, fiddlesticks, individual finger picks, Surf guitar, play detuned, play tuned down low, wah pedals, tremelo effects, and talkboxes. Learn how to master all of this and you won't feel inspired. You'll feel inspirational. If you don't well hey what can I do?
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
If only i had the money to do all that lol. I definately like experimenting with new stuff though. What i'd really like to do is take samples of music and mix them. I might get that out of my system and go from there.

I think i'll take a week break cos im doing exams though :P.
Yeah, my best advice is to buy a guitar workstation once you have the money. Good luck trying to find inspiration, I've lost it a few times too. Listen to some Dick Dale.
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
If you start to sing, you'll eventually get better. I'm getting better at singing each time I sing.

Also, it's importnat to know many full songs all the way through (by memory) because it's not fun to listen to someone play just the 'riff' of a song. If you saw your favoutire band go onstage and they only played parts of each of they're songs I doubt you'd enjoy that show.
Quote by Tsunoyukami
If you start to sing, you'll eventually get better. I'm getting better at singing each time I sing.

Also, it's importnat to know many full songs all the way through (by memory) because it's not fun to listen to someone play just the 'riff' of a song. If you saw your favoutire band go onstage and they only played parts of each of they're songs I doubt you'd enjoy that show.

Jimmy Page did that a lot. He would tease the crowd by playing the first few bars of Stairway to Heaven and then change to a different song.
Quote by The Ted
Jimmy Page did that a lot. He would tease the crowd by playing the first few bars of Stairway to Heaven and then change to a different song.

Yeah, but when it came time, he could play the damn song

I'd say experimenting is the best idea. Perhaps start learning another instrument to help you look at music in a new way. This could refresh your interest in guitar.

Or just take a short break from music.
take the time out to browse music shops and pick up books u see.look for ma style u havent learned or focused on before.its only a temporary solution because that book will be played to death in a while but it might give u reason to find excellent artists that play this style and try to learn a lot of their songs.for a while there i was kinda sliding into boredom as regards guitar playing then i joined a jazz band(a new style for me)and all of a sudden im in love with it again
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
yea id say take a break and do something that you like.... i was losing inspiration and then winter break came and i went snowboarding for a week and then when i came home i couldnt get my hands of the d*** guitar.....
I always remember the time when I had the dream to learn guitar.
I think about the things I wanted to learn then, I play them now and it feels really good.
it's just the feeling that you have accomplished your goal
In my experience motivation comes from the future. Imagining yourself being able to play something that sounds amazing.

The problem with this is that if you're focusing on the future when you're playing guitar then it becomes a means to an end. You need to learn how to play guitar for the sake of itself first before you can play for some sort of future motivational goal.

Don't force yourself to do something you don't want to do. If the experience of playing guitar isn't enough of a reason to play then it may be harder to enjoy the activity.

People say to focus on making goals but I consider this to be bad advice. If the person doesn't already have the ability to enjoy what they're doing without the goal then playing the guitar becomes a means to an end.

Motivation comes in a variety of shapes and forms. There are a countless number of external motivations that can come from playing guitar whether it's money, shows, women, and acknowledgement from parents or peers.

The key is learning to balance all of the external stuff with the internal stuff. It's okay to use these things as motivational tools. However if you don't play guitar simply for the sake of playing then you are going to end up losing your motivation once the external things begin fading away.

UPDATE: Why would someone bump a thread that was posted in 2007...
Last edited by dannydawiz at Feb 13, 2014,
Quote by charge112
I always remember the time when I had the dream to learn guitar.
I think about the things I wanted to learn then, I play them now and it feels really good.
it's just the feeling that you have accomplished your goal

This thread is from 2007. You're trying to join a conversation from SEVEN YEARS AGO. Please don't necrobump something without a good reason, it's extremely irritating to everyone.

Honestly, how did you even find this old ass thread?