alrite i understand the concept of harmonizing but i was just wondering when u harmonize with 3rds and 5ths, do you always use the major scale or whatever scale the song is based off?

thanks
If you want diatonic thirds and fifths, yes.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
If you want diatonic thirds and fifths, yes.
Hey hey, I'm all for the "yes and no are acceptable answers to any question" man-law, but that is a bit ridiculous.

You would go with the scale used in the song. If you're in D minor, it doesn't make much sense to harmonize notes with F#s and *C#s, now does it?

*As Elv said below, this may not be such a bad note. It won't sound completely in key, mainly because it isn't, but it comes from the melodic or harmonic minor scale, and that may be a cool sound in what you're writing.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 11, 2007,
no I mean like, say the song was in A minor. and u were going to harmonize the A with its 5th... would u still use the A Major Scale to find its 5th or now would u use the A minor scale to find it. Im asking that of all scales basically
well, the fifth is perfect regardless so... Just stick to your scale. If you're in A minor, use only A minor to harmonize. but it does pay sometimes to experiment with bizarre harmonies.
Quote by Sandman8591
no I mean like, say the song was in A minor. and u were going to harmonize the A with its 5th... would u still use the A Major Scale to find its 5th or now would u use the A minor scale to find it. Im asking that of all scales basically
I answered that, but you would use A minor in that case. Coincidently, the fifths of those two scales are exactly the same.

Now, if you use a specific mode, you would harmonize using that mode. For instance, if you had an A Phrygian lick that went A Bb C D C Bb A G and you wanted to harmonize in diatonic (staying in the scale) thirds, you would harmonize with C D E F E. D C Bb
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Hey hey, I'm all for the "yes and no are acceptable answers to any question" man-law, but that is a bit ridiculous.

He just asked a question that was too easily answered.

You would go with the scale used in the song. If you're in D minor, it doesn't make much sense to harmonize notes with F#s and C#s, now does it?

I'd give the C# some second thought.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
if the scale on one string looks like this (cmin if ur in CGCFAD tuning)

---------------------------
--2-3-5-7-8-10-12-13-

and one guitar does

---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
--5-7-8---7-8-10-