I've been messing around with liquid bandages, and I found that if you put it on the tips of you fingers, it acts somewhat as a callous. It's pretty useful actually. I just wanted to share my discovery with the UG community. What do you think of it?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i have real callouses.
theyre amazing.
nice and hard...
how i like it...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
yeah man, the liguid bandage is good if ur in a pinch (torn up fingertips, but gotta play a show), but i would still suggest building callouses, you def would have more feeling/accuracy with 'natural' fingertips.
Gear:
B.C. Rich Mockingbird NJ Neck-thru series
Jackson DXMGT
Ovation Celebrity acoustic
Yamaha acoustic
Roland Cube 15
Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MG412
Boss MT-2
DD-5
CE-5
TU-2
CS-3
Great idea, but you'll have no sensation in your fingertips - might as well wrap your fingers in cling film.

I'm a qualified chef and have been working as such for the last three years. I'm right handed, and use a knife that way, so any accidents involving cuts etc normally show up on the first finger of my left hand (my fretting hand).

I've tried many quick fixes that enable my hands to play while "injured", either soft from the effects of washing 40+ times during my working day, or while cut through carelessness, or while burned because I wasn't holding my oven cloth properly etc

The only way to do it is to play the thing with your fingers and not with some "magical" formula to make your fingers what they aren't
sounds useful, but the superglue idea sounds slightly better, Thanks For The Info Though!
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Can you just suck it up and develop some callouses ffs? If you are afraid of them then drop the damn guitar and go and play a woodwind instrument or somethingf
^ I don't think the threadstarter was suggesting this as an alternative to natural calluses, rather as a supplement to increase playing longevity.

No matter how well-built your calluses are, the strings will eventually begin to hurt your fingertips. Playing through an acoustic set certainly takes a toll, so any additional reinforcement can be useful.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

I have perfect callosous but its very fun to pell/chew of the super gluse afterwards and the fingers are very silky.
I wouldn't use it in place of callouses, but I swear by it to repair cuts on your finger tips. I sliced open my ring finger-tip the day before I was to go to the studio, bought some of the stuff, it works great. I would suggest keeping some in your gig bag.
Well I have callouses, so I don't need anything like that.

But if I was heavily playing for hours... naah.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Using things in place of your callouses is for pussies, why not just build up the callouses. I have callouses on all four fingers, on BOTH hands, now try to name what I do with my right hand when I play guitar.

Th answer is use every finger, to tap. Not like vai or satriani do, but on one string.
I never said I didn't have callouses, because I do. I was just stating that it would work in a manner like a callous. I had a cut on my middle finger and had to put liquid bandage on it and I was just saying that it was similar.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
SSL27 I'm a piano/guitar/violin/sax/flute player who once or twice a year plays bass for a week of camp. Use to end up with a lot of pain or bleeders. Now before I start playing bass I use Liquid Bandaid and have no pain worth mentioning. Huge improvement.
Quote by mparker3
SSL27 I'm a piano/guitar/violin/sax/flute player who once or twice a year plays bass for a week of camp. Use to end up with a lot of pain or bleeders. Now before I start playing bass I use Liquid Bandaid and have no pain worth mentioning. Huge improvement.

Nice necro bump LOL 10 years old may be the record.

Beware the Mods will get you for bumping old threads, besides none of these member are even active anymore.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge