I bought High gain JJ tubes for my Peavey xxx off Eurotubes. Now heres the deal, the JJs dont sound as good as my old Ruby stock tubes? Do the JJs need to be broke in or something?
Gear

Esp Ex-400BD
Jackson ps1
Dimebag crybaby from hell
Boss NS-2
Peavey xxx super 40 efx
^ Why do they need to be broke in? I mean, they may break in some, but the truth is you might just not like them. Why does everyone on this site seem to think that JJ tubes are the best thing ever made? People talk about them like they're the only tube worth considering and that they're perfect for everyone with a tube amp. Apparently you guys bought into Bob's salespitch hardcore. Baaaah. Baaaah.

I love Rubys. And Tung-Sol preamp tubes. Hell, I even like JJ preamp tubes. But JJs aren't the best by any means.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 11, 2007,
then what are, i've just gotten a LOT of good feedback on the tubes, so they're the first thing i consider. plus i have a 5150 combo and he lists a full retube kit for them and seems to know what he's doing.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
6l6gc with the high gain preamp tubes.
Gear

Esp Ex-400BD
Jackson ps1
Dimebag crybaby from hell
Boss NS-2
Peavey xxx super 40 efx
Sure. He'll sell you anything JJ, because he only sells JJ. If you have an expensive amp like a Mesa/Boogie, he tells you you should install a modification so you can use JJs (because he knows better than Randall Smith and the Boogie engineering team), rather than recommending a tube that will actually work with the amp's hard-wired biasing. If you want a more objective opinion, you could try Doug at Doug's Tubes, do your own research at Tube Store, or look up any one of several quality dealers who aren't just distributors for one brand. JJs aren't the cure-all or best option for everyone. The new Svetlana, the new Winged C SEDs, the new Rubys - all of those are quality power tubes, and I've become a big fan of Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue preamp tubes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 11, 2007,
I agree with Dirk here. While JJ makes some nice power and rectifier tubes, their preamp tubes aren't too hot. JJ makes all their money by making a "high gain" 12AX7 and convincing every metal-head that they NEED high-gain tubes, while the difference in gain is pretty small.
Quote by Roc8995
JJ makes all their money by making a "high gain" 12AX7 and convincing every metal-head that they NEED high-gain tubes, while the difference in gain is pretty small.
I guess I didn't really know that, but I'm not at all surprised. I was planning on getting a JJ 6L6 quad for my Carvin MTS but I guess I haven't exactly considered others. While we're on the topic, what are some other good 6L6 quads for around $60 (ideally)?
JJs are made in Russia. Ruby is made in China in the same factory as Groove Tubes and Shuguang.
Hi, I'm Peter
I own a xxx and just installed a set of JJ12ax7's and a set of JJ 6L6GC's ... how did you set your bias?

Remember, these tubes aren't your ruby's... you need to set the bias and re-adjust the eq'ing.

I also purchased a set of Gold Series GT (Groove Tubes) EL34Ls from GuitarCenter for $105. You'll never guess what tubes are in my XXX as we speak.

Yup, the JJ's!

P.S. Look into the BBE Sonic Maximizer, you'll wonder how you managed all this time without it.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |