Gonna be honest, i dont understand the circle of fifths. all i really get is that the next note in line, (C to G for example), increases in sharps, and counterclockwise increases in flats. how do i tell what sharps or flats get added? is there a trick or do i just have to straight up memorize that? thanks in advance
Key of C = 0 sharps, correct? Move up a 5th from C and you get G. So that means the key of G has 1 sharp. G has an F#. You can tell what sharp note is added into a key by just going down one note. (G-F, F#) Hope my shitty explanation makes sense?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
You just have to memorize which sharps and flats get added, but there are some tricks. In sharps, the last sharp is the major seventh of the major key. For instance, if you're in G major, there is one sharp, F#. That is the major third. To figure out key sigs for minor keys, just think about them as their relative majors. For flats, the first four flats spell "Bead."
Quote by metal4all
Key of C = 0 sharps, correct? Move up a 5th from C and you get G. So that means the key of G has 1 sharp. G has an F#. You can tell what sharp note is added into a key by just going down one note. (G-F, F#) Hope my shitty explanation makes sense?
Dude that makes total sense, you just helped me out too! I've been wondering the same thing, thanks!
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Ill try to help... as you go to the right you increase in sharps in the key... but before that, I will explain flats(helps sharps)...

So as you go left, you hit F... 1 flat, and as some one before said, BEAD... so the first flat is B, next we have Bb, which has 2 flats, B and E, then Eb, B,E, and A flat... ect. then when you get to the end of BEAD, you go to GCF (I remember it like Greatest Common Factor...I'm a math person) so for Cb, you have 7 flats, B, E, A, D, G, C, F... now, for sharps...

It's just BEAD GCF backwards... so G is first... thats F sharp, then the key D Major, F sharp and C sharp... Ect. so C# Major is F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#... this is for Major only... Minor keys us the same key signature as their relitive major, and that is something for another time...

Originally Posted by danzig-_-
just don't jack off too much or it'll be curved.

Originally Posted by Fishy27
lol, is there a way to un curve it?

Originally Posted by danzig-_-
I don't know....I guess use the other hand.
Last edited by Wolfdarrigan at Jan 11, 2007,
sharps increase in the order: F C G D A E B
and flats go the other way, B E A D G C F
i just remembered bead then gcf and went backwards for sharps.
edit: ook, i was too late. but by now i'm sure your questions were answered
get skeptical guitarist it will give you alot of what you want to know plus work with you on putting it all into actiaon