Hi, I'm upgrading from a Hughes & Kettner 30-r blue edition beginners amp, to a tube amp. At first I considered getting the real deal, a Laney half stack (VH100R head and a GS412IA cabinett), but I guess you can say I'm a bit short of money these days so I will have to be realistic and look for some descent combo tube amps instead, and I have narrowed it down to these two, since they are both very affordable, and both great sounding amps, at least if you take their price into consideration. So which one should I go for, I have read that the Peavy Valveking has had some quality problems related to the screws holding the tube tank in place. This is taken from a thread on Joe Satriani Forum:

I sent my valveking back to MusiciansFriend today. It has a faulty reverb tank. From what I've read online, someone else also experienced a similar problem. One of the springs inside the reverb tank broke off. I think this is because the reverb tank was not screwed down tight enough to the bottom of the cab. There were two (out of four) screws missing which is probably why the tank was loose and the spring inside broke off.

and another user said this under the same topic on the same forum:

Got mine today. HEHEHE!! Awesome! My reverb tank was loose as hell. Only had 2 screws holding it on but it was fine. I'm going to find 2 more screws to hold it down. Its definitily not a bad $400 all tube amp if you can get past the fact its made in China. I think the speaker is at least going for sure and I got no buzzing so the tubes are fine for now. Think I might get a couple sets just to play around though.
Just so you know, the Vox is not a tube amp. Its a hybrid which has one preamp tube in the power amp circuit to try and recreate the sound of a cranked tube amp.

Despite the fact its not all tube it is a great sounding amp and I would rather have that than the Valveking.
yeah vox is real good despite not being all tube. if you want a serious metal tone though, you'll need a distortion pedal. another thing, don't go with the 50, get the 30. you'll save like $100 and i doubt you play gigs, considering your price range. you won't need 50W 50 is only like 10% louder than a 30w since watts don't translate into decibals.

oh yeah, the clean channel is great on the vox, really good actually
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
yeah... ummm. Don't get the Vox. It's solid state.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
I took my peavey valveking back and got the vox the peavey is the lamest excuse for a tube amp even for the money the vox sounds great and warm not shrill like other ss amps but try them both out
GEAR:
Gibson Faded V (Dimarzio EVO(B) and GFS Hot Liverpool(N) coiltap in neck)
Squier Mahogany HSS Strat
Squier BSB tele
Bogner 2X12
Vox AD50VT
EPI VJ head
I have a variety of pedals PM if you have to know.

Looking for a new head!
Quote by White_Devil

It may be solid state, but its better than the Valveking and its one of the best amps you can get at this budget. It sounds pretty close to a valve amp considering its price.

Plus you have an MT2.
I wouldn't go for a valveking. bad reliability reports and they sound like crap.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by White_Devil

hybrid actually, and it sounds pretty good
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Well I'm quite happy with my valveking , the reverb tank is held in with two screws on mine :S and its like half way in so the tank can move up and down a bit... Iv duct taped it down for the meanwhile to stop it jumping about in transport. Thats where peavey are cutting corners but other than that iv had no other problems, well apart from not being able to crank it yet :P
I've heard of the reliability problems with the Valveking but bought one anyway. It's a good amp and I've been happy with it.

I also had a Vox AD50VT until a couple of days ago. It sounded decent, but this model suffers from some reliability problems as well. Mine cratered after less than 6 months and was out for repair for several weeks. I don't think it sounded the same after the repair either. The first one my bro-in-law brought home didn't work at all right out of the box.

If these are the two amps you're considering, buy the one that sounds best. Neither has (IMHO) any advantage over the other in the reliability department.
I bought the Valve King and haven't had any problems with it at all. Yes, it is true, if you play distortion using ONLY the distortion channel on the amp it will not sound good at all, but if people knew anything about getting good sounds out of their amp, they would know that unless you are using a Mesa Rectifier or a Marshall TSL, chances are that your stock distortion channel will be muddy. That is why you meticulously adjust the knobs both on your guitar and on your dirty channel to get as good a base tone as you can, and THEN use a boost or an overdrive pedal to make it sound better.

Sometimes I will just put it on clean and plug into it using a Boss D-3 distortion and it sounds incredible.

It's all up to you but if you look at your specs and invest some time and money into your amp you can EASILY get great amazing tones out of your Valve King.

Also, I'm using an EHX Holy Grail pedal for my reverb but if someone could tell me where the reverb tank on this amp is I would appreciate it tremendously.
Quote by whitebluesboy
unless you are using a Mesa Rectifier or a Marshall TSL, chances are that your stock distortion channel will be muddy.

Utter bollocks.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Daryl Licht

If these are the two amps you're considering, buy the one that sounds best. Neither has (IMHO) any advantage over the other in the reliability department.

Do you know of some other amps in the same price range that are either hybrid or fullblown tube that are better, cause I don't HAVE TO go for either one of these, I'm just considering them.
Quote by whitebluesboy
but if someone could tell me where the reverb tank on this amp is I would appreciate it tremendously.

Its in the back of the speaker cab on the floor, you can't miss it, big and silver with a red and white wire leading to it. Thats on the combo versions anyway.
I was not trying to say that either of these amps is a bad choice. Just that between those two, buy the one that you like better because both have some reliability issues. I don't want to bash either of them. After owning both, the Valveking is the one that is still here.

In that price range for tube, there are the standard replies like the Blues Jr., and the Crate Palamino and V series. Used offers up some more choices. The Peavey Classic 30 gets a lot of praise in most places. I will get one of those soon myself. I don't know anything about the various Laney and Traynor amps since they aren't available in the places I shop for gear.

For SS, the Roland Cube amps are great, either the 30 or 60 watt version. If I did it over again, I think I would have gone with the Cube 60 over the Vox in a SS amp.
Quote by Daryl Licht
I was not trying to say that either of these amps is a bad choice. Just that between those two, buy the one that you like better because both have some reliability issues. I don't want to bash either of them. After owning both, the Valveking is the one that is still here.

In that price range for tube, there are the standard replies like the Blues Jr., and the Crate Palamino and V series. Used offers up some more choices. The Peavey Classic 30 gets a lot of praise in most places. I will get one of those soon myself. I don't know anything about the various Laney and Traynor amps since they aren't available in the places I shop for gear.

For SS, the Roland Cube amps are great, either the 30 or 60 watt version. If I did it over again, I think I would have gone with the Cube 60 over the Vox in a SS amp.

You say that both of them have some reliability issues. I am aware of some of them concernig the valveking, but what problems are common to encounter with the valvetronix amps?

And another thing, Marshall also have hybrid amps, and I am offcourse talking about the AVTX series. How are they compared to the Vox Valvetronix series?
Last edited by Danny Distortio at Jan 13, 2007,
My AD50VT blew the output IC. I've seen threads on other boards about people having the same same symptoms (a loud pop, then a loud hum and no output). There are others who have less serious problems, like the sound quitting. This is usually fixed by restoring the amp to factory presets, sort of like a "reboot". If this happens, any presets you have created must be redone. I never had that problem, but it sounds like a PITA to me. The first one my brother in law had came on, but had not output. The reset did not fix it, so he returned it for a new one. That one sounded fine, but after mine quit he got rid of it. It may have been fine, he just didn't want to find out.

I have never tried the Marshall hybrid so I can't say anything one way or the other about it.

I still wouldn't steer you away from the Vox or the Valveking if that is what you liked. There are reports of problems with them, but a lot of these are sold to folks that never have any trouble. Most people here who have the like them. Just trying to keep your eyes open, everybody on the internet has their opinions, and mine are no better than anyone else's.
Definitely the Valveking. I've had one for about half a year now, and i absolutely love it. The cleans are nice, the lead channel could probably use a boost for any heavy stuff. I realise the construction isnt as best as it could be, hence the loose reverb tank, but that's why it's under $500. It's a great buy for your first tube amp.