At what point do you consider yourself "a guitar player"?

People at work see me looking at guitar stuff online, and they know that it is one of my interests. And they always ask me... "do you play?". Right now the answer is obvious... "Not really.. I'm just starting.. only been playing for a couple months"

I know two scales, about 7 open chords, and can play a couple different ways of playing the 12 bar blues.. but haven't even played a whole song yet.

At what point are you considered an actual player? It's a silly question, I know. It's just something I was thinking about over lunch. Thought I'd throw it out there.
Standard Fender Strat Electron Blue
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W

Cause I'm tired of playing the air guitar.
Last edited by cheesy1 at Jan 11, 2007,
Interesting question... I've been playing 9 months... about as far as you on the chords (hate em) but play a lot of random metal and hard rock stuff. I'm known as a person who loves music and plays guitar... but...

Do I call myself a guitarist? Damn good question.
I'd say you're a guitar player once you have one available to play at least a little. and appreciate it as an instrument. Its not like you ever can finish learning to play the guitar. Even the best still go take lessons in techniques they feel the need to improve on. So you can't really assign a point where you "become" a guitarist.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
it depends who you are talking to
like to my friends Im a guitar player
to my non-musican friends Im a guitar god
and to jimi hendrix Im a piece of shit

Id say once you are good enough to play along with somebody then your a guitar player to me
Durka
If you can sling on a guitar sit there for an hour and noodle then i think you are a guitar player, regardless of what level you're at.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Do you own a guitar and practice somewhat regularly? Then you're a guitarist. Just cos you haven't had a few years to get really good doesn't mean you're not a guitarist. If that was true, guitar would be an exclusive club that only the elite can get into. We have sites like UG because anyone can be a guitarist if they want.
I don't know, I just made this transition one day into a guitar player. It's a hard question to answer and you have to decide for yourself. I guess I became a guitar player when I knew I wanted to make music for a living but you need to decide when you are a "guitar player."
I would think you are a "guitar player" when you play guitar. If playing guitar is a hobby or even every now-and-then thing than you are still playing guitar so you would be a "guitar player." If you play occasionally [once a month (if that's even possible)] then I guess you are an "occasional guitar player."
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
That is the question of the century, when does somebody consider themselves a guitar player? After a day, a week, a month, a year. It all really depends. I think you become a guitar player when you are drawn to your guitar more then anything else in the world. When you feel like playing your heart out everytime even though you might not be the greatest player. I believe you become a guitar player when you truly believe you are one.
I consider myself a guitar player not because I play guitar, or think i'm good, but because unlike most people, I would rather listen to the guitar solo than the chorous in ANY song.

Most people bitch whenever there isn't any singing, and that pisses me off.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I think that if you play almost daily that you are a guitar player. It doesnt matter what level you are at. Also, you must have a passion for it. For me, guitar is my life, and its all i do.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I would say that you are guitar player the moment you can play a guitar and have interest in it. Like I can play a sax, clarinet, piano, drums, and bass but I hate all of them so I would not call me a player of any of those. Guitar is my main instrument and the only one I like, actually love. As of my first week I would have called me a guitar player.
i condsidered myself a guitar player when i could actully play through a whole song w/o using tabs or music. when i learned to play by ear like 2 years ago.
I felt like a guitar player when I first played some of the riffs that drove me to pick up guitar in the first place. So, pretty much as soon as I started. But I like the literal definition best
Quote by Kidzelda
I felt like a guitar player when I first played some of the riffs that drove me to pick up guitar in the first place. So, pretty much as soon as I started. But I like the literal definition best

LOL You mean the moment you start playing a guitar, your a guitar player?
depends what you play i think. like i play a lot of stuff by nirvana and bands that dont get that complicated because thats what i like to play so i knew a few songs already after not too long, if i wanted to play something more complicated and never bothered to learn any songs in genres that are typically pretty easy it would be a lot longer because i wouldnt really have as much i could play up unitl later
Of course you're a guitar player. You pick it up and have fun playing, right? Then you are. Now, a musician who uses a guitar, I guess that would be harder to define.
Quote by VelvetFireBC491
it depends who you are talking to
like to my friends Im a guitar player
to my non-musican friends Im a guitar god
and to jimi hendrix Im a piece of shit

Id say once you are good enough to play along with somebody then your a guitar player to me

hahaha funyn i couldnt agree with you more dude...you play a little fast and everyone thinks your the greatest ever
don't know what else to be honest, it's the only thing i'm identified with. i think you can when other people call you one.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I think you can consider yourself a guitarist when you can pick up a guitar and just play. I consider myself more of a drummer than a guitarist, even though I'm fairly decent at both.

--Masochist Lust
My two cents. I think "A Guitar Player" is someone who has proven that there interest is more than just an interest. Not to assign a certain time line to it, but someone who has played for 2-3 years regardless of there skill level has proven (in my opinion) that it is more than just a passing fad. rather it be one year to some, 2 years to other, 10 years to others.. For example (and im just throwing numbers out here): 90% of everybody has tried guitar either for a few months or some even give it a go for a year.. The question is, does the initial fascination of the instrument go away? Does your guitar end up in your attic or a garage sale a few years down the line?

So to answer your question There is a certain timetable when its like "Yea I'm trying to play" and for some people is longer than others.. But let me tell you there is no bigger egg on the face than someone who says yea I can play and all that comes out is some chopped up chords and scales with no flow or direction.

Ive been playing for 11 years now and I can remember after like a year I could play a lot of songs and use to tell people "Yea I know how to play that" but looking back what came out was a lot different than it is today. Sure it was the right chords and words and all but Even the simplest of chord songs just didn't have the DYNAMICS that they do today!
KEY WORD AGAIN KIDS... DYNAMICS..

All just my 2 cents..

sorry kind got a little off topic
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
I would say that as soon as someone owns their on guitar and has played it at least a little bit, they're a "guitar player"

It's an ambiguous term that doesn't denote ability. Someone who is an absolute beginner is still a guitar player.

Slurgi
you are a guitarist if you think you're a guitarist.you dont need others to decide if you're one or not,you just need to believe that you're one.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Quote by FretboardToAsh
don't know what else to be honest, it's the only thing i'm identified with. i think you can when other people call you one.

Exactly what I thought. I think that once you are known to play the guitar player and if in their eyes they see as a guitar player, I hate calling myself a guitar player because I don't feel like I have the right in a way. I mean I've played the piano for 8 odd years and I would deffinitely say Im a piano player but I never actually found myself saying that but rather: 'Yes I play the piano.............'

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.