this should probably go in guitar and bass basics, but since it's already here, the key is to mute the strings just after you pick them. you play strictly on the upbeats, moving the wrist of your picking hand quickly up the strings, and immediately muting the note by lifting your fret hand fingers, and touching your picking hand palm to the strings. you can then "scratch" the pick along the strings downwards, with no notes fretted and the strings muted. thats basically it. just experiment with different rhythms and stuff. good luck dude.
you gotta start out slow just to get the feel of hitting the upstrokes on the upbeat and then gradually pickup the speed
fast ska upstrokes come with time if you just keep playing them everyday youll eventually get the hang of it
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Yeah, just start moving your picking hand in a steady rhythm, and on the upstrokes, press your fretting fingers down. Then mute them right away and scratch your pick over the strings on the downstrokes. It's always going to feel awkward at first.
also natrually your going to tend to go with your foot when it goes down( or at least i did when i started playing ska) you just have put your self in a different mindset when your foot goes up your hand goes up
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Most people use their fretting hand to mute, but I prefer to use my strumming hand. Just use whatever way feels comfortable to you.
I got the hang of it direct using sargasm method with muting with the strumming hand. Thx man
Yeah, strum on the off-beat. Do straight eighths, but only upstoke on the offbeat; you can move your hand like you're strumming down without touching the strings, or you can mute them and get that percussive sound before the upbeat. Either way.