Hey guys,

i have a debate in my AP US History class tomorrow, and i'm having a bit of trouble brainstorming new ideas, and support for them. heres the resolution:

Resolved, that the Industrial Revolution unleashed the most positive values of the American Character: individualism, innovation and wealth.

I'm on the negative side, and here is one thing important to remember: i am viciously cynical of american patriotism...i cringe when we discuss the "American Dream" in class, i take every change i get to show the decline of society contrary to what the conceptualized America is, and i try to persuade people to not say the pledge in the morning.

That being said, there's a second part to this resolution, which is a "contemporary issue". here it is: (Contemporary issue: these values have contributed to the economic destruction/devastation of third world nations), and basically i am completely for this side.

problem is, i don't have any arguments except for against the resolution itself.

my one argument right now is this:

the industrial revolution promoted quick, easy, and inexpensive mass production of consumer goods.
  • innovations in manufacturing destroy a person's sense of hard work
  • production is no longer about the quality of the product, but rather the profit margin at which it can be produced
  • manufacturing situations gave authority nearly complete control over their workers
  • employer intimidation destroys any tangible sense of social/economic mobility for the workers

so yeah, any other ideas?
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
No clue, im good at debating but not in English.
Looking for a new sig!
Nah sorry no ideas right now but, when its over post how you went. Id be interested to see how you went.
americans honestly say the pledge every morning? "inhane laughter".
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Quote by ArcherTheVMan
americans honestly say the pledge every morning? "inhane laughter".

I remember saying it when I was in Elementary school then the whole thing dwindled away sometime between grade 6-7. I guess its back.. have fun with that, I used to be "viciously cynical of american patriotism..." Now I'm in the military.... Do the math.
well a couple of your points, for example C) Manufacturers had complete control over workers, can be argued against quite easily for example, "workers had the right to leave whenever they wanted to and later restrictions on manufacturers improved working conditions". What you need to argue against is the ideological values these environments instilled in people, as that is much more amibigious a concept and harder to argue against. You could say for example "that the powerful positions held by manufacturers reinforced the idea of the dominant force in the industrial sector, a machine forced into creation from above and driven by profit rather than instilled from below and driven by need, exemplifying the imperialistic nature of the american government". Or somet like that.
Quote by Kyle Gass
I remember saying it when I was in Elementary school then the whole thing dwindled away sometime between grade 6-7. I guess its back.. have fun with that, I used to be "viciously cynical of american patriotism..." Now I'm in the military.... Do the math.

Retard + Shit parenting = Jarhead.
Quote by aequitasveritas
Hey guys,

i have a debate in my AP US History class tomorrow, and i'm having a bit of trouble brainstorming new ideas, and support for them. heres the resolution:

Resolved, that the Industrial Revolution unleashed the most positive values of the American Character: individualism, innovation and wealth.

I'm on the negative side, and here is one thing important to remember: i am viciously cynical of american patriotism...i cringe when we discuss the "American Dream" in class, i take every change i get to show the decline of society contrary to what the conceptualized America is, and i try to persuade people to not say the pledge in the morning.

That being said, there's a second part to this resolution, which is a "contemporary issue". here it is: (Contemporary issue: these values have contributed to the economic destruction/devastation of third world nations), and basically i am completely for this side.

problem is, i don't have any arguments except for against the resolution itself.

my one argument right now is this:

the industrial revolution promoted quick, easy, and inexpensive mass production of consumer goods.
  • innovations in manufacturing destroy a person's sense of hard work
  • production is no longer about the quality of the product, but rather the profit margin at which it can be produced
  • manufacturing situations gave authority nearly complete control over their workers
  • employer intimidation destroys any tangible sense of social/economic mobility for the workers

so yeah, any other ideas?

cringeworthy..this isnt a university essay is it? you should end the essay...and all concerned sailed into the sunset, destined to be content in the patriotic knowledge that god created american and the free world rejoices in its splendor. God Bless America.

Mark-A plus