Hey guys, i want to drop my tune to D, so 1 step down from E. Will this mess with my itonation or strings or anything? is it a bad idea? or can i do it? thanks all!
...are you serious? My guitar's in Drop C right now. That's 2 steps down on every string. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, bud.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Down tuning a guitar? You like to live dangerously, don't you?
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
...are you serious? My guitar's in Drop C right now. That's 2 steps down on every string. There's absolutely nothing to worry about, bud.

you'd be in c standard then, not drop c
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I fucked up my $3,000 Gibson Les Paul doing that down tuning shit. Just stay away from it.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
wrong forum noob. And no, it won't be bad for your guitar.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead

That's not drop C. Drop C only has the sixth string down two steps and the rest down one. C G C F A D.

Edit: Bollocks, tommyt beat me to it.
Quote by Bubban
I fucked up my $3,000 Gibson Les Paul doing that down tuning shit. Just stay away from it.

If you f*cked up a $3,000 Gibson by down tuning, either you did something rediculously wrong when down tuning, or you got jipped out your ass by whoever you bought it from.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
You can downtune with no problems, just depends how low. But in D standard you should be fine. Heck, since I got my guitar (it's been 1 year and a half), I've been downtuning it and I never had any problems.
Quote by Aceroth
If you f*cked up a $3,000 Gibson by down tuning, either you did something rediculously wrong when down tuning, or you got jipped out your ass by whoever you bought it from.

I know this is a long shot, but do you not think there's the slightest, tiniest, most miniscule possibility that mabye, just maybe, he could, just perhaps, have been joking?
Quote by Bubban

Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Quote by Malakian88
I know this is a long shot, but do you not think there's the slightest, tiniest, most miniscule possibility that mabye, just maybe, he could, just perhaps, have been joking?

In the Pit? no. absolutely not. People take the Pit very seriously. Get with the program noob.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
You sir have no penis

I've played in drop B.... Go for it, guitars are meant to be downtuned. But if you are using like .12 strings, keep them downtuned or it could mess up your neck.
not really bad but like
your guitar might not be set up for D tunning for example and the intonation while on the D tunning could be a bit off, but when you go back up to E everything is fine
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Man one time I downtuned my Custom Jem, and it just fell apart. Pickups came out, strings broke, the neck warped, and the paint peeled.

And I don't know, it flew up my ass or something. You can finish it yourself.
Yes, you can do it, anyone who says you can't is messing with you.

Oh, but there is a possibility your guitar could spontaneously combust.
Last edited by Superpartydude5 at Jan 11, 2007,
Quote by Southern_Voodoo
One time I received genital herpes while down tuning a guitar. Learned my lesson.

You got off easy. My brother got AIDS by tuning one of his strings just slightly sharp.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Oh I almost forgot. TC, welcome to the pit, bitch.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Oooh. My mistake. Thanks tommyt and Malakian. I had been wondering if I had it tuned correctly. 3 friggin websites lied to me. *****s.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
One time I went away on vacation, and didn't bring my guitar, so it wasn't tuned for an entire week. When I got back, my entire house was gone.

The fireman said that the explosion probably occurred while my guitar was going out of tune from no one being there to tune it five or six times a day. Thats why you should never down tune, and tune your guitar to standard five to six times a day. Just in case.

And with that said, you could probably just ask yourself: what happens to your guitar when you get it restrung? Does it fall apart as the strings are being taken off?
lol... i think you'll be ok...

i tune my guitar down to D and down to C all the time...

worst thing that has happend is u break a string...

but it rarely happens...

and if it does u just replace it
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by Aceroth
In the Pit? no. absolutely not. People take the Pit very seriously. Get with the program noob.

Oh, man.. I'm laughing at every post in this thread.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
on a serious note, I head that you have to adjust the truss rod, etc. Is this only for when you downtune alot, or in any circumstance?
its not really important for the most part, unless downtuning to the EXTREEEEEEEEEEME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise i wouldnt bother adjusting the truss rod
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I'd go for some thicker gauge strings if downtuning is a big part of your playing. I use 11 - 52's and they're fine for standard E + D.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Don't do it man.

Unless of course you WANT an exploding guitar. You don't want your axe to BLOW UP do you? DO YA?!?! HUH?!?!?

That's what I thought.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.