Why does Geddy Lee from Rush now play his signature Fender Basses instead of the Rickenbackers he used to play. They soundes a million times better. Just listen to Red Barchetta.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Well he plays his signature basses, because there his signature basses, de de de
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

He doesn't play his signature basses... he plays a 1973 J bass that he's been playing on and off since at least the Moving Pictures era.

And on Moving Pictures he used a combination of the J Bass and the Ric, and I'd put money that you can't guess which one he used on which song.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
I don't think he'd kill you...

But you probably wouldn't get any information out of him either unless you arrange a proper interview, which would be almost impossible.

heh.
I'm thinking he loves the money he's making from Fender buy playing one of their models. Also, there's the slight fact that it's his signature guitar.
Don't You Talk to Billy Idol That Way.

Gear:
Epiphone Limited Ed. G-400 W/ Maestro Trem
Washburn WI14 Idol Series
Jasmine ES-31 Acoustic-Electric
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112
yea, they made a signature Geddy Lee bass so Angus young could learn to play you noobs. ive heard hes loving it.
When all else fails, ask the pit.
Thinking about it further, i'm almost positive that Red Barchetta itself was recorded on the J Bass. I know Tom Sawyer and YYZ were.
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Why is he playing Fender Jazzes?

Maybe, just maybe, he prefers the tone. In fact, not just that, he's said he finds them infinitely more comfortable than Rickenbackers. Shit, man.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Because he's rich enough that he can, idiot.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
^"...hand your tobaggan to your roadie to be taken back up the hill."

Quote by chocolatguitar
how about you ask him personally?

let me know if you come back alive.

Yea, his specialized Giant Fly By Night Bass jet might mow you down before you even get in eyeshot of his illustrious mansion of Canadian-ness.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Jan 11, 2007,
geddy Played the Jazz bass on everything on Moving Pictures except Red Barchetta and The Camera Eye. I'm pretty sure that Rickenbacker Would make him a signature bass if he asked nicely.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
You really think theres that big a difference in tone between basses and it's not just that he used a different amp or processed it differently. Either way Geddy's one of the greatest bassists alive today, so I wouldn't question his choices. J-basses are so comfortable, that I'd take one over a Ric any day.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Quote by watchingmefall
He can play whatever he wants, he is Geddy Lee!

exactly.
red barchetta is one of rush's very best songs too. i love the bass in that song.
my bad, i must have been mistaken, and clearly i underestimated you threadstarter.

Personally, i like the J tone as much as the Ric, and if it's easier, and more comfortable... then that's all there is to it.

I don't think that the fact that Fender has a sig has a ton to do with it.... since he doesn't play the sig, and the sig isn't made in america anyways.
Gear:
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
He's played a lot of things since the Ricky. Rush is a prog band. They progress. Can't use the same bass for 33 years and progress musically as much as Rush have. Best. Band. Ever.
maybe he uses the bass that he likes?

im pretty sure that no one is going to make Geddy Lee use a bass unless he wants to use it.
I think the reason he switched was because the sound of the band was changing and the Ric no longer suited it. he was going through a series of differnt basses (including a Steinburger, a couple Fenders, a Wal, and a few I can't name) and ended up taking a could Fenders, and making his own. He used the body from one year, the neck from another, and I forget what the pickups came from, but it because what it is now. They made a sig based on it and he gets money. Etc.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
He probably gets money every time he uses one in public. Kind of like Britney Spears got in a bunch of trouble for drinking Coke.
Yeah I'm just saying doesn't anyone think his tone with the rick was better than the tone he has now with the sig basses? I find its too trebly.
I thought Vapor Trails had pretty good bass tone, and that's the latest album. Sounds good to me. It blends very well with the songs too. Also, I think the Ric is ugly.