ok, looking to switch out my current amp (If you havent heard any Hughes and Kettner, no bashing on the fact its SS. AT ALL)

But my style is rapidly moving from almost 100% metal into much bluesier tones. SRV, Mayer, Clapton are main things im rolling now.
So I want tube, but i typically play decently quiet so these 100W tube heads were out of the question.
but i found The Epiphone Valve Junior with 5W of all-tube power. this basically perfect loudness for me as it is prime for bedroom playing and small venues. It has great reveiws and im pretty set on getting it.
Ill most likely get a 4x12 cab to play it through, the Behringer series is supposed to have great versatility so i might get that.
Teamed up with my Dunlop Crybaby, The Boss EQ pedal (goes hand in hand with small tube amps such as this), but i need a decent blues/rock distortion pedal.

any suggestions for the pedal? Ibanez tube screamer? Boss DS-1?

just let me know any reccommendations for the setup, and i especially want to know what any of you think of it.

Also, due to my current guitar having EMG's ill be swapping out the neck pickup for something a little better suited. what should I get for that? i was thinking a soapbar or something that can simulate the single coil sound

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell would be a good bet for your neck pickup - pedal wise a Tubescreamer would be good, or a keeley modded boss BD-2 if you want to splash out a bit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I still don't know much about amps but don't go with the ds-1 because it sucks all the tone out and really only sounds good for metal and such.
For pickups, I say....Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II Pro in the neck and an SH-PG1 Pearly Gates in the bridge.
Great warm cleans up top, and rude bluesy growl in the bridge. Soapbars wouldn't fit in your guitar without routing, anyway. This combo makes it a mean blues machine.

For a pedal, a Tube Screamer 808 is great for dialin in SRV. check out the Maxon Series, specifically the Maxon 808. They're basically the people who created the Tube Screamer. I hear their versions are better than the reissues out now.
It adds alot of thick mids to your tone and will overdrive your amp, easy.

The VJ is awesome especially for the price, but get a better cab.
Get a Lopoline cab, without any speakers...
http://myworld.ebay.com/lopoline
And stick some 12" Eminences in there. Maybe the Red White and Blues, or Screamin Eagles. Great for blues tone. The Texas Heat speakers are a little British flavored, but very responsive.
hmm... before changing all you gear from Metal oriented to Blues, you might want to wait a while to see where your style goes settles down
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ive been evolving my sound for about 4 years now, and ive always had a tint of blues.
but i didnt actually start working on my blues chops until now, and im great at it.
its gunna be a main part of my sound for a long time, so going blues oriented on most of my gear is fine.
I plan on keeping my EMG 81 in the bridge for any heavy stuff as well. And the VJ will be able to pull the bit of metal out just fine.

and ill definatly check out the tube screamer, but the shops im hitting up tomorrow dont have the maxon series, and shipping from out side canada is a real pain.

any other suggestions for a neck pickup/distortion pedal to look into?

and the cab ive been mainly lookin at is the Vox V212 2x12 or the B-52 LG-412 400W 4x12

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Hmm...the EMG 81 is active...
I believe you might not be able to mix it with a passive pickup system.
They require different pots and such.
No worries. The Alnico II Pro can still handle hard rock and such...Slash uses one in the neck and in the bridge. Toss a good distortion pedal in front of the guitar, and the same set up can still handle metal or whatever.
VJ is geared more towards classic rock and British rock, but like I said, with the right pedal, it'll be a beast.

About the cab, for some reason I read it as you being interested in a Behringer cab...But that Vox should be Okay. I still suggest the custom cab, though.
Quote by forsaknazrael

For a pedal, a Tube Screamer 808 is great for dialin in SRV. check out the Maxon Series, specifically the Maxon 808. They're basically the people who created the Tube Screamer. I hear their versions are better than the reissues out now.
It adds alot of thick mids to your tone and will overdrive your amp, easy.

The VJ is awesome especially for the price, but get a better cab.
Get a Lopoline cab, without any speakers...
http://myworld.ebay.com/lopoline
And stick some 12" Eminences in there. Maybe the Red White and Blues, or Screamin Eagles. Great for blues tone. The Texas Heat speakers are a little British flavored, but very responsive.

Maxon rocks, so much better than the tube screamer and like 30 bucks less.

The eminence speakers are great, I have a Red white and blues in my deluxe reverb, totally cleans up the tone when quiet, but breaks up smoother.

I wouldn't recommend anything more than a 2-12 for that 5 watt amp. The combos they make have 1-8s or 1-10s for good reason. A 5 Watt amp wont push two 65 watt speakers hard enough. You will get very little breakup. Get a 1-12 speaker cab and put a Eminence in it. That'll be nice, those epiphones are nice amps for 100$.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

oh right i forgot about that.
no worries i can probably strike up a deal with the manager and get a trade going.
and i was looking at Behringer before, but the series i wanted isnt going to be in stock for a while.

and i would, but again. shipping is a biggy for me.
i hate it more than fall out boy

ill definatly look into the alnico II pro/pearly gates setup, one of the guys i work with just swapped for pearlys and he loves em

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
perfect, thanks. definatly the type of answer i was looking for.

ill look around for a single 12 and try and put together an eminence cab

1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
keep a humbucker in the neck, and just give it coil-tap. that way you can get that relly expressive woman tone, but also have the sparkly single coil.