I pretty much never played guitar in my life, and i'm thinking about getting into it. I dont have much of a budget. Something in the neighborhood of 150 for everything.
I know the bullet and the '51 are shit, but its probably the best i can get with a budget of 150.

So basically. Which would be better: A squier bullet or a squier '51?

I'm thinking of getting an amp like this http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_fender_mini_deluxe_amp?full_sku=480704 or maybe a fender mini-tone master. Im sure those amps sound like shit as well, but i'm gonna be the only one hearing my playing, at least for a while until i can get decent.
with that amp you will very quickly tire of playing and quit guitar altogether. That "thing" is meant for playing in the car or on the go. give me a few minutes and I'll find you something for under 150 total.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_peavey_backstage_amp?full_sku=481444

anything is better than the amp you linked to, but this might do you well just to begin with. Peavy's are not know for good quality in the lower end models, but this would probably be fine for now.

For the guitar you have some other choices. Rondomusic.net has some decent guitars. I personally haven't played any of their SX series, but I'm going to suggest one anyway. Something with humbuckers (the larger pickups) is probably best in this case. Perhaps the SX SEG1 or maybe one of the SST series. Browse through some of those and come back here to ask about them. (http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html)

If you'd prefer not to buy online but from a store like Guitar Center (as those guitars are only available online) you might go with a low end Dean like the Vendetta or Evo ($100 each). Maybe an Epiphone Les Paul Junior, although I've never really heard anything good about them.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
I never thought amps mattered that much. I thought it was the guitar and the playing?
Anyways, i'm thinking that i should go with a name-brand. But i may be interested in the SX SST62 Short Scale SB.
Quote by agent-47
I never thought amps mattered that much. I thought it was the guitar and the playing?
Anyways, i'm thinking that i should go with a name-brand. But i may be interested in the SX SST62 Short Scale SB.

Amps matter just as much if not more (especially for some genres) to the sound of the instrument. Of course an awesome amp doesn't make up for a crappy player, but a good amp will make you want to keep on playing and learning.

As for the SST62, I would avoid anything with single coil pickups, as they will cause a butt load of feedback and noise. Especially with a low end amp and in a low end guitar.

EDIT:

To address your issue with brand name. Its a valid concern. But SX and Agile (the other brand sold on RondoMusic) are becoming larger names in the industry. If you still want a name brand guitar maybe the others I suggested are for you. You said you wanted to spend 150? For a bit more you could possibly get a low end Ibanez which would last you for a while.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Last edited by zorched at Jan 11, 2007,
I'm not looking to play heavy metal or anything. I'm hoping to be able to play some red hot chili peppers, daphne loves derby, taking back sunday, and such.
Quote by agent-47
I'm not looking to play heavy metal or anything. I'm hoping to be able to play some red hot chili peppers, daphne loves derby, taking back sunday, and such.

I realize that you don't need great distortion or anything, but you'll want an amp that actually sounds like your playing a guitar. Look at the edit i made on my last post.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_isj20_jumpstart_pack?full_sku=512497%2e787

This here also looks like a nice deal. Ibanez is a good brand and the 10watt amp should be fine for now. Plus it comes with all the junk you'll need starting out. Even a DVD. Look at the reviews.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
alright, ill look into ibanez. Doesnt seem like anyone wants to recommend the guitars i picked out.
Quote by agent-47
alright, ill look into ibanez. Doesnt seem like anyone wants to recommend the guitars i picked out.

Ya, sorry about that. Its just that the workmanship tends to be a bit shoddy on a lot of squires. Cheap wood and electronics usually.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic