Hey, i started with the guitar about a month ago. My mom had an accoustic from her age and I myself took my little brother with nylon strings or do u call it that?

Anyway, on my moms older guitar i wanted to try steel strings, coz i wanted 2 guitars with different sounds, i asked in the shop for easy strings and he tipsed about Ernie Ball
Light. I bought them and fixed the guitar, so when i started to play it was really hard to press down the strings, it was so easy to miss something and get a misslead.

I really needed to prick every string right, and for the frets close to the head i needed to press very much more then if i pick up the one with ?nylon? strings.

Why im asking this is coz i was at my friends house and he had an much easier steel string accoustic, i could play so good on that one, if you compare to mine. I dont know if its the guitar it self or the strings, maybe both?

Any tips? =))
nylon strings = classical guitar
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
The one you have steel strings on isn't a classical guitar is it? Because steel strings will probably cause damage to a classical guitar.

It could be that the action is higher on this particular guitar than on your friend's.

As for steel strings, Martin "ultra custom light's" (I think that is what they are called) are pretty finger-friendly, but again, the action could be the problem.
Hm ok, maybe it can be that its a classical guitar, it had those soft strings from the start, same as my bros guitar. But i thougt you could change strings the way you wanted on every accoustic.

The thing with the sound aswell is that if i pick a G chord for example, the thin strings (GBE) take up so much sound compared to the DAE strings. It sounds right when you tune, but when you play it sounds wrong you know :/.
As for your first paragraph, classical guitars are not made to withstand the tension from steel strings. But if it is a steel string guitar, it can take any steel strings. Has something to do with the way the guitars are structured.

The second problem may also be caused by the steel strings, but I'll let someone else who knows more than me answer that question...

Edit: If you upload a picture of the guitar we can probably tell you whether it is a steel string or classical. Alternatively you could look for images of classical vs. steel string. I believe classicals are slightly smaller, have different tuning machines, and no pick guard, but don't completely trust me on that one...
Last edited by pyrochris at Jan 11, 2007,
Quote by machine^

The thing with the sound aswell is that if i pick a G chord for example, the thin strings (GBE) take up so much sound compared to the DAE strings. It sounds right when you tune, but when you play it sounds wrong you know :/.

you have to fix the intonation, i really don't know how to intonate acoustics, but i'ms sure in the local shop they can do it for you
First thing you need to do is take the steel string acoustic strings off your classical guitar if that is the case. You will ruin the guitar.

As far as it being hard to press down the strings. Well, it just takes a little getting used too.
When i started i had strong fingers already, but still needed to build strength quite a bit more, but it wasn't overly hard for me.
I just played, and when my fingers and fingertips were telling me to stop i put the guitar down, had a break for a bit then played some more later.

It just takes a bit of patience, if your pretty enthusiastic it helps cos you play mroe and therefore build strength and callouses quicker. At least that was the case for me
The action on the more difficult instrument could be too high. (the distance between the fretboard and the string).

The higher it is, the harder it is to play. (generally speaking that is)
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Ok so ive read what you all said, and i think that you got right that its a classical guitar with steel strings on =). I didnt find an exactly picture on my guitar since its 15 years+? Anyway i found a similiar from the same brandname. Here is the url: http://www.rondomusic.net/cg216012.html its other colours on mine but the same shapes.

And for what you said DJaye you have right in the action thing, its very high distance between the fretboard and the strings, thats why its hard to press down and prick right aswell. But it might be because this guitar shouldnt have steel strings i think? =)
Well i think what you need to do right now is go and take those strings off. NOW! you will warp the neck on the guitar.

The action has probably changed because of all the extra tension on the neck that the neck is designed for (thats why you need to take the steel strings off the guitar). The steel strings are putting so much tension on the neck that i would think the neck is being pulled up. So the shape that the neck and the body making is sort of a concave shape, with the strings going from one end to the other, so that maybe why the action is too high, because the neck can't handle the tension