Okay, Hello UG friends. I come to you today with a story. A very close story.
Ever since I started playing guitar I was in love with the JEM7vwh. Complete love. That was the guitar I've always wanted. Now recently I've bought an RG1570mrb. I like it alot, it plays nice, but I cant stop the love for the JEM. I literally had a dream about it last night. No joke. Now recently I got an email from sam ash, talking about the SA credit card. Enthused, I told my mom. "You can buy anything over 500, and not pay for 6 months. If you pay off everything before it ends, there arent any extra charges. I'll definately have the money by then.". She replies, no, use your own money. I dont really understand why she wouldnt get the credit card. We have pretty decent credit, and I'll make all the payments. I mean, I can get the JEM now, and be happy for the rest of my life with it, or wait serveral years (Thats how long my mom says until I buy another guitar.) I still have the oppertunity to return the RG.
Now, in the end there are two ways of looking at this.
1) (My Views)
Just get the credit card, and get the JEM. Let the kid be happy, he has the money to pay monthly, but not total, so why not go with that?
I am devoted to guitar. I'm always playing in my free time. Theory, Writing, improvising. Everything
Sometimes she brings in the "School is more important card". But she fails to relize that I'm still raking in 90's and hundreds. Occasional 80's. Thats above average. I'm in two Honors classes, and the rest are a little above normal.
Now, I understand I'm only 14, but I will be playing this all my life. Its one of my few dream guitars, and I'm one of the few people that feel that they MUST have somethings. This is one of them.
Why stick with a guitar he is unhappy about, when he can easily get one that he truly loves?
I NEVER ask for ANYTHING. No money to hang out with friends, for clothes, I havent gone shopping for months. Guitar is my life.

Now, my mom's veiw (I can see this way too)
He's only 14.
What is something goes worng (like an accident) and we cant pay for the guitar. We'd get screwed by the interest.
He has alot of guitars ----------------------------(mind you, one is a trash $50 starter guitar, the other is my couisins squier strat, the other an Ovation T257 (very nice, cheap though, And a Carlo Robelli 12 string. Got it for 89$. Thats less than 2 xbox games. She doesnt care if I spend 100 and video games, but 89 on a guitar gets to her. wtf?, and an RG370. That was a mistake to buy, I admit. So technically, I dont have an actualy "nice" electric guitar."

Now, you can look at that both ways, and please state your opinion on this problem. And I really hope I didnt sound like I was a spoiled kid. I relise I am very fortunate. But the point of this story is, I can get the JEM with her cooperation, but she wont let me for various reasons.
I'm back, you douchebags.
lol just wait it out you're only 14. ask for your birthday, they're coming out with a new jem soon anyway so the prices of other jems should lower, that may help convince your mom
What most people don't realize, is that with store brand cards like that, the interest is usually around 20-30% which is insane.

They'll charge you interest for the first six months when you aren't paying, and before you know it, you'll pay 2000 USD for a 800 dollar guitar.

Seriously, those are always scams, even if they sound like a good deal, it's too good to be true.

There are companies that will give fair, real, legit loans to musicians, but seeing as how you're just a 14 year old lusting after a guitar, I think you can stand to wait.

(and get a job)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by ouchies
lol just wait it out you're only 14. ask for your birthday, they're coming out with a new jem soon anyway so the prices of other jems should lower, that may help convince your mom

If he has played for a while and really can play, I say go for it. I am 15 and hope to have a JEM before I am 16. However, I am not using a credit card but working till the summer

Quote by hamish5178

They'll charge you interest for the first six months when you aren't paying, and before you know it, you'll pay 2000 USD for a 800 dollar guitar.

(and get a job)

It is already a $2000+ guitar lol. Dude, get a payment plan on musicians friend. If you pay it off in monthly payments before a year, no interest. Same for guitar center. This guy has a point, do not pay double the money over time because of intrest
Last edited by garden of grey at Jan 11, 2007,
Just save your money until you have enough. Even if there's only a very small chance that you'd miss a payment on the credit card, it's still a risk and it would cost you a ton of money. Play it safe, be patient, and it will be even more satisfying when you finally get your dream guitar.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Quote by garden of grey

It is already a $2000+ guitar lol. Dude, get a payment plan on musicians friend. If you pay it off in monthly payments before a year, no interest. Same for guitar center. This guy has a point, do not pay double the money over time because of intrest

well, if it already is a 2000 dollar guitar, hes going to end up paying 4000

and if he doesn't make the payments by the end of the time period, he'll get slammed with all that interest
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

thats what im gonna do,get a summer job and when im 16 switch to a better job and then save up some cash and buy a JEM or gibby LP Custom(alpine white/gold hardware,mmmm)
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Sell your other shit, all of it, except the amp, get the money, and give it to your mom as an advance, she'll know your dedicated. and if that doesn't work buy whatever you want back or save it up. also getting a job would show her how much you want that. although, i see her side seeing you're 14, and that is one hell of a guitar. and how long have you been playing? she may be worried that you'll give it up, and you'll be down 2000.
good luck with whatever
In all honesty I wouldn't buy a guitar unless I can pay for it in one month, but I would also never buy it in cash. Credit Cards, in my opinion, tend to be safer than paying in cash; I also don't want intrest though. I do know how you feel because even before I picked up a guitar I always wanted the Gibson SG '61 Reissue. But wait till you can afford it, it will feel much better to you.
just say atleast you're spendin the money on something that you love and will last instead of drugs
hah. jk

i understand where you're comin from but you might want to wait alittle longer, thats alot of money
Quote by i'm a noob
Sell your other shit, all of it, except the amp, get the money, and give it to your mom as an advance, she'll know your dedicated. and if that doesn't work buy whatever you want back or save it up. also getting a job would show her how much you want that. although, i see her side seeing you're 14, and that is one hell of a guitar. and how long have you been playing? she may be worried that you'll give it up, and you'll be down 2000.
good luck with whatever

Been playing for about 3 years now. Been taking lessons for about a year. I am very serious. Music is my passion.
I'm back, you douchebags.
First of all, as I was reading your post, it seems like you are an "above average" kid. But you should know by now how credit card can ruin your entire life. I bet your mom knows that. The store may say "No Payments until year 2300" and the thing is... people seem to take those for granted and say "hey, I don't have to pay this until about 300 years from now, why bother making payments?"

And 300 years later, they still haven't paid their debts and little did they know, interest rates were 4500% per month. A $1,000 purchase from a credit card now is getting interest rates as high as anyone can afford. This may not seem true but the point is, credit card is not good for you.
Quote by The Ted
In all honesty I wouldn't buy a guitar unless I can pay for it in one month, but I would also never buy it in cash. Credit Cards, in my opinion, tend to be safer than paying in cash; I also don't want intrest though. I do know how you feel because even before I picked up a guitar I always wanted the Gibson SG '61 Reissue. But wait till you can afford it, it will feel much better to you.

How is paying via credit card safer than cash?

All my gear was bought with cash no problem. The only danger is that you might get jumped on the way to the shop

but at least you don't need to worry about going into debt or missing a payment.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Even if you get the JEM, it will not be the last guitar you will ever want. Trust me on that. We all get GAS. What if you decide you don't like shred/metal/whatever else you plobably play right now anymore. Especially if you're only 14. I'm 19 and i'm addicted to my credit card, it is definatly better to save up the cash. Also, if you do decide to go for the card, the interest doesn't start adding up after 6 months. What happens is they add up all the interest that you would be paying, and then hit you with all of it if you don't pay before the time is up.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
You know what's really funny about this thread? That no one really cares that much.

Seriously, i know you're young and everything, but this is not the end of the world. "My mom is too smart to fall into a credit card trap to buy a guitar" 0H N03z!!!!! It's a freaking guitar, get over it.

In the end it's their money and you don't need a new guitar especially since you just bought a pretty good one, if you want it that bad then you'll damn well save your own money via a job etc. Kids like you are so irritating.
Lol,a JEM to last you for the rest of your life?I guess,if you're craving for one,you could drill holes to imitate the monkey grip.To me,if you have the monkey grip on an RG,it looks just like a JEM,just without the tree of life...
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Lol why are you so desperate for someone elses guitar? Jems arent worth the extra IMO. If i had the money for a jem i'd personally get a j-custom

and +1 to cobybcool
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by One Way Ticket
Ya know what? **** it. Im getting a job.
Keep the RG and Buy a JEM too.

^^^^^ BEST PLAN EVER!
Yea I just realised how expensive my loans are going to be for college...

I took out an 8 grand loan. They expect me to pay money for 20 years, and end up paying a total of 20 thousand dollars for the semester! I have 8 semesters. You do the math

The truth is your mom is right, save the money, pay in cash. Trust me I stuck it out with a guitar. You should be happy that you even have one to play. Forget about what it looks like or what it is, as long as it plays through in amp.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.