i've been playing for 3 years and i already have a Fender Stratocaster, ESP LTD EX-50, and a Dean Baby ML....not sure if i want an Explorer....anyone know any pro's and con's about one?
They're honestly amazing in my expierence.
Probably one of the best models made.
They look kind of cheap but they play amazing.

Even comparable to the LP.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
i own one. It's a really amazing guitar, but depending what you wanna play. For super quick shredding stuff its not that comfortable, but its wicked for metal rhythm and rock rhythm too. If your looking to play wicked riffs, that's the one. But it all come downs to what you are comfortable with really.
Renato
umm....would it be good for playing a bunch of Metallica and Megadeth style things?
rhythmically ya man itd be perfect. It all comes down to how much effort you put into learning the stuff you know.
Renato
oh yeah forgot, but about the solo's and and crazy riffs, would it be good for that?
i played one once. greatest thing about it is that its really comfortable playing standing up or sitting down. Overall, really nice weight and feel. of course, its a staple metal guitar, so its great for classic metallica and megadeth.

The little swoosh shape it has provides a perfect place to rest your arm, and hook your elbow to lift it up into the signature rock-out guitar pose too.
I personally love Explorers all around, Gibson and otherwise. But I would recommend trying one out. Not everyone can do the Explorer shape. When it comes to playing them, people tend to either love them or hate them.

As for playing lead, a lot of lead players use Explorers. Upper frets are easier to reach than on a Les Paul.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
It should be fine for Megadeth and Metallica, Hetfield uses Explorers and Friedman (when he was with megadeth) and other megadeth guitarists use Jackson Kelly's which are basically explorers, if you're looking for more solo and less rythm then go ESP or Jakcson kelly over gibson i think, but gibson still fine.
You can play rhythm and lead on any guitar, it's just personal preference as to what makes it easier from one guitar to the next.
Play one and you will see.

You have to use your own personal preference.

I say get one. I AM biased though.
How old are you?

If you like the shape now you might hate it in a few years time if you're a youngin. If you're a bit older then go for it they're lovely guitars with a full sound.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
It should be fine for Megadeth and Metallica, Hetfield uses Explorers and Friedman (when he was with megadeth) and other megadeth guitarists use Jackson Kelly's which are basically explorers, if you're looking for more solo and less rythm then go ESP or Jakcson kelly over gibson i think, but gibson still fine.

Wrong Friedman used a Kelly and Dave Mustaine (surprised you dont know his name) used King Vs. And Kelly are more for soloing (like most jacksons). But yes Hetfield uses Explorers nd from what ive played theyre absolutey great for rythm!
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mechanixx
Wrong Friedman used a Kelly and Dave Mustaine (surprised you dont know his name) used King Vs. And Kelly are more for soloing (like most jacksons).

I think he was referring to the other guitarists that came before and after Friedman, not Dave himself. A relevant example here would be Al Pitrelli, who used Explorers (as seen on the Rude Awakening DVD) and played some pretty fast lead stuff.
Quote by Mechanixx
Wrong Friedman used a Kelly and Dave Mustaine (surprised you dont know his name) used King Vs. And Kelly are more for soloing (like most jacksons). But yes Hetfield uses Explorers nd from what ive played theyre absolutey great for rythm!

As the guy above said, I was refering to other lead megadeth guitarists, why would i know friedman's name but not Mustain's?
And I'm not a complete retard anyone can see that Dave uses V's.
I've played the Gibson Flying V (and I'm going to buy it this year, so I really liked it!), which is quite similira when it comes to sound and neck shape. These beasts are very versatile; they look agressive but also classy, and so does the sound. It can be perfectly used for any style you want, from blues to death metal (I'm gonna use it for playing death metal and stoner). It doesn't matter if you're a rythm or a lead player, once you get used to the shape you can play both without problems, the upper frets are reached easily and well, the neck isn't thin, for sure, but isn't as thick as a Les Paul's and feel quite different (I know 'cause I own a Les Paul, and my 'kinda-Spiritual Beggars-style' licks sound much better on a V). I find it's comfortable and fat enough.
Try it, but I think you'll like it; it's very easy to get fond of these guitars.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby