Alright so im moving into tube territory and i have been looking at this amp. Would it be a good choice? Or should I continue to look? I play mostly Floydish stuff.
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Ya i loved mine the only thing is that it isn't a crazy distortion on it. its more of an over drive. so u'll need a good pedal if you like harder stuff of more distortion.
Nice amps. I have a warmer feeling for the Blues Deluxe, but that's me. Might want to compare it straight up to a Peavey Classic 30/50 or their Delta Blues.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Good cleans for Floyd. And the overdrive built in is nice for Floyd type stuff as well.

Definatly check out Peavey Classics and Vox AC30's, but I'd go for the hotrod if you want awesome cleans.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^ that's a good thing. It will handle gigs. Plus you can disconnect the internal speaker and add on a 4x12 or whatever you want.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I have It

Pros: Awesom Cleans, Loud, Can handle pedals very well, doesn't overheat
Cons: Bad distortion ( But Handles Od pedals really good so no problem really), heavy, the cxhannels have only one EQ and have to share.

All in All: great amp, just don't buy if you're into metal, but it really can do great rock with a little help from pedals.
I like straberry pie

don't you?

Proud founder of the PedoBear fan club. PM me to join

10000+ Free webcam girls at:
camgirls.uk
i have a hotrod deluxe, yes basically agree with the views above. great amp.

something in mine vibrates though, seems to be whenever an 'A' note/chord is played. i can't find out what is causing this.

anybody else experienced this?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i have a hotrod deluxe, yes basically agree with the views above. great amp.

something in mine vibrates though, seems to be whenever an 'A' note/chord is played. i can't find out what is causing this.

anybody else experienced this?

Its probably the reverb spring. My Fender amp does the same at higher volumes.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
That rattling sound...hit that A note and touch the tip of the first preamp tube. If the noise stops, then it's simply tube/tube socket microphonics. I've found that I've got the same problem no matter what tube I put in that first socket, so I'm guessing it's a problem with shock handling by the chassis or the board that the tube socket is mounted to. Some kind of damper around the tube should take care of it though.

The only cons I can really mention are the fact that the More Overdrive channel doesn't really sound that great to me. When I first got the amp, that's all I used, but in the last year or so I've really fallen out with that part of the amp (could also be that my amp is about 8 years old and really needs some new tubes...but I'm holding out for my Mesa). The second con is how sensitive this amp is to vibration and microphonics. I can lightly tap the chassis and it comes through the speaker loud and clear. I guess it's to be expected with a mid-level tube amp, but I don't know. I have yet to try and dampen the chassis, but I'm thinking some foam attached to the chassis should help with this. The last con I can think of, and I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but having the foot switch connected generates a horrible amount of noise...doesn't matter what cable I use, I cannot dial this noise out. I've tried noise supperssors in the FX loop and that's been no good. From my own tweaking and trial and error I've deduced that this noise is being generated somewhere between the FX return and the final power stage, so dialing it out is no good. It's odd that I didn't really notice this (or it didn't actually become a problem) until I had the amp for several years.
Quote by TwoString
The only cons I can really mention are the fact that the More Overdrive channel doesn't really sound that great to me. When I first got the amp, that's all I used, but in the last year or so I've really fallen out with that part of the amp (could also be that my amp is about 8 years old and really needs some new tubes...but I'm holding out for my Mesa)

That's my take, too. Even on the new ones. That's a big reason why I prefer the Blues Deluxe. The Hot Rod is basically a modified BD, with that extra channel being the major update. If I'm not going to use it, I'd rather not have all that extra circuitry potentially sapping tone on board.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I love my hot rod. The cleans are amazing and I've been able to set it up with it sounding just fine on the More Drive channel. It does have that noise that TwoString was saying, which does tend to get on the annoying side every once in a while.
Thumbs up from me
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
I love my HRD, but like what was said before it's overdrive isn't that awesome. I knew this when I bought it so I basically use it as a platform (the cleans are ****in awesome) to get whatever sounds I want from pedals. I recently got a boost pedal as well and that makes this amp sing whenever you want to solo. Great buy, so go for it.
My Gear

72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender GA-43SCE Acoustic
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
Ibanez TS9
EHX Nano LPB-1

Member #21 of the Fender Armada
Even if the OD isn't good can it go high enough for Floyd (without pedals)?
Would a tubescreamer help?

Also what about the blues deluxe you mentioned..good for floyd? Some heavier classic rock maybe? Better than the hot rod deluxe?

Similar situation as the threadstarter.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I like the hot rod deluxe, I don't think the overdrive is that bad. The "more overdrive" or whatever it's called sounds too "fuzz" for my liking though, but the first OD setting is pretty nice.

Although the blues deluxe IMO is better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
It's a really nice amp, and did seriously consider buying it, though I now have a Sound City head. The Sound City gives the most amazing cleans ever, and they are pretty much identical to the Hiwatts that Gilmour uses. In fact he did use Sound City amps in the early days. Doesn't have a drive channel, but you can get a Fuzz Face or summat to sort that out
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I just want to bring up again that you can really change the character (in a good way) of the HRD with an EL-84 kit. The guy at my local shop recommended it to me, and I was resistant at first, but finally gave in. It is an amazing change. Now, I'm not claiming it sounds like a VOX now, but it really makes the HRD more versitile. The tubes come with different ratings numbers based on how soon they are likely to break-up, my Groove Tubes EL-84 kit came with "1's". Just from the amp I can get nice crunch or grind. With my newest pedal, the Seymour Duncan, I can really get any tone I like. The twin tube is a fantastic complement to this setup. And just so you know, I keep the BBE in the effects loop all the time. I really strongly recommend this setup, or at least checking one out in person. The EL-84 kit cost $100 extra, can be swapped back out for the 6L6's in minutes, and sounds great overall. I will admit I don't do metal so if that is what you need I can't vouch for this setup. My primary interests are hardcore blues, mostly.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Last edited by greenwgreg at Jan 12, 2007,
Yeah the Deluxe is a good idea if you like to play Floyd stuff. David Gilmour used Hiwatts which are similar to Fenders.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Even if the OD isn't good can it go high enough for Floyd (without pedals)?
Would a tubescreamer help?

Also what about the blues deluxe you mentioned..good for floyd? Some heavier classic rock maybe? Better than the hot rod deluxe?

Similar situation as the threadstarter.

The built in overdrive is great for Floyd. By that I mean that when you hit a doublestop hard like Gilmour does, you get good breakup while the rest of the solo is clean.
Quote by TGM
The built in overdrive is great for Floyd. By that I mean that when you hit a doublestop hard like Gilmour does, you get good breakup while the rest of the solo is clean.

Thanks.

Alot of people mentioned the Blues Deluxe is that just as good? OR is it alot different.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^ They defiantly use different speakers, and I think the circuits are slightly different so try them both. I've never played a Blues Deluxe, but it should sound different.