cuz its some "hot" stuff man
lol iono
mine is hot cuz its name is "Fender Hot Noiseless"
but yea
its hot stuff =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
they don't say hot because they're necessarily good, there are plenty of good pickups that aren't "hot" (most single coils for example). When some people say "hot" they're talking about higher output and thus more natural overdrive in the pickup.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
hot pickups mean they look good, e.g. they have a pic of a girl in bikini imprinted on it.
or the pole pieces just look like nipples.

or you can fry eggs on them

It basically means it has more output, and in some cases, it probably means better distortion. IN SOME CASES BTW.
Quote by ECistheBest
cuz its some "hot" stuff man
lol iono
mine is hot cuz its name is "Fender Hot Noiseless"
but yea
its hot stuff =]

Here's an idea, if you have absolutely no fucking clue, don't post.

Yes, hot = more output, which means that it'll be able to drive the preamp a little harder.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
More output. Not always good.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
not always no, my amp is a disaster with active pickups it's just way too loud
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
because paris hilton knows "that's hot"
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
Quote by zorched
they don't say hot because they're necessarily good, there are plenty of good pickups that aren't "hot" (most single coils for example). When some people say "hot" they're talking about higher output and thus more natural overdrive in the pickup.

+ 3869376943
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because they're physically attracted to the pickup.

They wanna' dip it in their wax and play with it all night long, baby.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by FretboardToAsh
not always no, my amp is a disaster with active pickups it's just way too loud

try plugging into the second output, i hear its better for active stuff

just a suggestion
active pickups. go to emg.com they have an explanation of what that is.

oh active pickups= more output
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Hot doesn't nessasarilly mean good. It just means the pickups are high-ouput, making them ideal for heavy shit.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
^ nah, it's more the amount of distortion/overdrive and compression.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The extra output will result in a very subtle increase in volume, but as Dave Mc says, where it is really obvious is in the way the extra output from the guitar will force the amp into distortion at lower levels than a lower-output pickup. i.e a hotter pickup is usually better for high gain, whereas a low-output tends to give a cleaner sound.

Which is better is simply down to personal preference, some people like cool pickups, some like to use hotter pickups. Personally, I like them to be somewhere in the middle, but that's just me